Paid mods for skyrim workshop on steam

Nexures

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious what The Nexus think of mod page like this http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5898/?

Will the Nexus become the cheapman modding site allowing people to basically use it as advertising platform for their more official "premium" workshop mods?

Please be careful with stuff like this. This problem is about Bethesda/Valve trying to coerce modders into guilting/shaming/compelling the gaming community to give Bethesda/Valve more money in return for community created content. The last thing we want, at all, is any modder to feel like their work and effort is unappreciated or they are not welcome. We screwed up, badly, with someone who already caught hell on the Workshop (name left out to avoid getting this thread closed) and we need to stop that.

What someone chooses to do with their creations is up to them. I would say that if someone feels they deserve remuneration, paid cash money, for their time and effort they should do so professionally either part time or full time and seek a job in said field. When they decide to stop being a peer in a community and instead be a merchant wanting to sell us a product they should expect to be treated like we treat the phone company or cable company or guy at Best Buy wanting to sell me a TV.

That in mind... I would say that the Nexus should not allow content that redirects or points someone to a paid mod location. Essentially that's advertising and should be treated like anyone else wanting to put an add on the Nexus.

I agree with this, does any Nexus Staffer want to comment in?

To all of you who believes of the original idea of modding, makeing a game better free of charge for everyone who loves the game like you who modded it. Thank you for multiple hours / multiple projects i have used over the passt and i will use in the future.

Noone should have been ever in need to invest so much energy like you guys now do to. Even it comes to late for some people, you are the guys who made and make pc gameing special. I honestly can't imagine how bad pc gameing would be without you.

So thanx very very much for you countless hour's of investment, of working hard and of being always so quiet about what you do all the years.

Edited by unknown78

Folks need to look at the subscribers numbers on the paid mods, % that may have asked for refund not withstanding, folks are buying them, game over, wave of the future.

Followed this unfolding last 2 days, doesn't matter what we post, what we think, what's right or what's wrong, (it's the weekend, guys who thought this up are at home anyway, it's only their job) it's happening, it's working, it's staying.

If folks don't think that money doesn't rule the world are flat out naive, good intentions don't buy summer homes/mistresses/cars... Steam only workshop for fallout 4 incoming.

I mean I could change it to not say free version if that helps.

I understand what you mean. There has been nothing said about it though.

I mean my premium version will also be giving to Skryim Nexus, why can't I have a free version on Nexus for people who don't want to buy premium version on Steam Workshop?

Either way Nexus is still profiting either from revenue sharing or ad revenue.

I mean my premium version will also be giving to Skryim Nexus, why can't I have a free version on Nexus for people who don't want to buy premium version on Steam Workshop?

Please don't feel attacked or challenged. You're just in the position of being the first ship on the water so to speak.

The concern is people creating 'demo mods' on the Nexus to get free advertising for their paid mod on the Workshop. Is that a good thing, is it something the Nexus wants. What does and doesn't qualify, what is and isn't fair where that's concerned.

Again, this comes back to what I said elsewhere - by charging for your product you become a merchant more so than a member of the community. Money is a sticky subject and, as they say, 'business is business'. At what point does it stop becoming a mod you're sharing on the Nexus and instead an advertisment to drive sales on your paid site?

I would encourage you to reach out to the Nexus folks and see where they want those lines. At that point you need to ask yourself how you want to handle the free mod. You're monetizing your work now and as such it's not unreasonable to view what you do in that light. How do you best leverage the stuff you provide to free to maximize what you want to earn profit from.

How does the Nexus want to position itself relative to the Workshop - do they want to host advert mods? Do they want to support scaled down free versions that help redirect people to the paid versions? Is that actually a 'bad thing'? If so, why?

One of the problems with being an early adopter on a business model is you're going to be involved in answering those questions. I encourage you to be proactive in reaching out to the Nexus folks and being an active and honest part of that discussion. You've been very honest and up front about what you're doing and why and that's awesome, much appreciated. I don't see any of the other mod authors here doing so. I hope you'll put the work into helping sort that out sooner rather than later.

Folks need to look at the subscribers numbers on the paid mods, % that may have asked for refund not withstanding, folks are buying them, game over, wave of the future.

Followed this unfolding last 2 days, doesn't matter what we post, what we think, what's right or what's wrong, (it's the weekend, guys who thought this up are at home anyway, it's only their job) it's happening, it's working, it's staying.

If folks don't think that money doesn't rule the world are flat out naive, good intentions don't buy summer homes/mistresses/cars... Steam only workshop for fallout 4 incoming.

I'm sure there were people that bought horse armour back in the day as well, but Bethesda still listened because we shouted loud enough and they didn't try it again. Maybe this bollocks is here to stay, but that shouldn't stop us from rallying against it, because if we just bend over and take it then they'll definitely think this nonsense is kosher.

Please don't feel attacked or challenged. You're just in the position of being the first ship on the water so to speak.

The concern is people creating 'demo mods' on the Nexus to get free advertising for their paid mod on the Workshop. Is that a good thing, is it something the Nexus wants. What does and doesn't qualify, what is and isn't fair where that's concerned.

Again, this comes back to what I said elsewhere - by charging for your product you become a merchant more so than a member of the community. Money is a sticky subject and, as they say, 'business is business'. At what point does it stop becoming a mod you're sharing on the Nexus and instead an advertisment to drive sales on your paid site?

I would encourage you to reach out to the Nexus folks and see where they want those lines. At that point you need to ask yourself how you want to handle the free mod. You're monetizing your work now and as such it's not unreasonable to view what you do in that light. How do you best leverage the stuff you provide to free to maximize what you want to earn profit from.

How does the Nexus want to position itself relative to the Workshop - do they want to host advert mods? Do they want to support scaled down free versions that help redirect people to the paid versions? Is that actually a 'bad thing'? If so, why?

One of the problems with being an early adopter on a business model is you're going to be involved in answering those questions. I encourage you to be proactive in reaching out to the Nexus folks and being an active and honest part of that discussion. You've been very honest and up front about what you're doing and why and that's awesome, much appreciated. I don't see any of the other mod authors here doing so. I hope you'll put the work into helping sort that out sooner rather than later.

I definitely understand your point.

It is not like I am abandoning the nexus. All of my mods will remain on the nexus.

Just one of them will have a free version and premium version.

I do agree about the whole merchant comparison. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though.

Just because I become a merchant and modder doesn't mean I won't still regularly interact with the community.

I appreciate everything the Skyrim Nexus has done for the modding community.

I really wish Bethesda would buy the Skyrim Nexus and allow us to sell mods on the Nexus instead.

Everyone is free to voice their opinion. I honestly just think some of the backlash is amusing.

People need to stop acting like they are entitled to free mods. Publishing large works for free has always been a generosity modders have performed.

Edited by phenderix

I am not attacking you, don't get me wrong (though I do not agree with you either). You chose to go corporate, alright. I cannot stop you. Corporate life though means you need to pay for your advertising just like the rest of the advertisers on the site in my opinion.

It is not like I am abandoning the nexus. All of my mods will remain on the nexus.

I do agree about the whole merchant comparison. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though.

Just because I become a merchant and modder doesn't mean I won't still regularly interact with the community.

I really wish Bethesda would buy the Skyrim Nexus and allow us to sell mods on the Nexus instead.

Everyone is free to voice their opinion. I honestly just think some of the backlash is amusing.

People need to stop acting like they are entitled to free mods. Publishing large works for free has always been a generosity modders have performed.

For me it is not entitlement that has me against this, it is the precedent set. This whole system is easily exploitable by companies.

Suppose a company, ElectronicSoft, wants to release day 1 DLC. They know they are going to get flak so instead they get a shell company: Ubigames to release the DLC as a paid "mod".
If they get flak, Electronicsoft can just say "Oh no, we are against Day1 DLC, but we fully support modders getting paid for their work".
As you can see, this problem is a whole lot larger than modders wanting some cash. This sets a bad precedent and for that reason must be stopped in it's tracks.
I would be all for a kickstarter/paetron/ or even the big modders hired by Bethesda to polish out their mods to sell (a la Insurgency and Garry's Mod). This free for all though is rubbish. I hope you do not think all of us boycotters are bad, you are one of the few I would pay for if this was workshop thing was implemented better than a trainwreck into a nuclear powerplant.
Edited by freedom613

Please remember though that there is a difference, a huge gulf, between an amature enthusiast and a professional. Again, if you believe you create professional grade work shouldn't you work in the profession? The backlash isn't against someone like you who's decided to take the plunge and try to monetize their work, to stop being a modder and start being a professional developer in the same way a fanfic writer may try and shift to being a professional author.

The problem is that Valve/Bethesda just threw every single modder in the community into that pool. Every free mod now has to be protected from being stolen and resold. The reality is that nobody is going to look at your mods now and say 'how cool/good/fun/interesting is that mod' and instead now has to say 'how much money is that worth?' The difference is huge. It's the end of the modding community as it is and has been. To take your work as an example; the free mods, why are they inferior? Why is their time not worth money but another one is? How many dollars per hour of content is a fair wage to pay you as a modder? If I can get something almost exactly like your mod for free somewhere else why should I pay you? Content stolen from a modder, a free contributor to the community is a crime against the community. Stealing from a business is seen by some people (I'm not one of them) as a virtue. 'Sticking it to the man'.

I would not want anything sold on the Nexus - I'd stop coming here. At that point it wouldn't be a gathering place for enthusiasts but something like the Home Shopping Network with free samples. If Bethesda wants to sell me content (which is what the Workshop is, don't be mistaken about that) they should hire people to make content for them and then sell it to me. Requiring you to try and sell me your creations directly while providing you absolutely no protection nor support is pretty crappy.

The lack of appreciation some modders have felt is a problem we all bare responsibility for. It's unfortunate and certainly helped contribute to the problem but at this point what you're talking about is the end of modding as a community thing, a shared thing where amature modders share their content with the community and instead we have a totally unprotected/supported market where everyone is competing for the same sales dollars and it's more profitable to try to grab a quick buck with minimum viable products and stolen content than the real work involved. You're never going to properly monetize the time you've put into a quality product; you're going to see people who did 1/10th your work get as much or more money and wonder why you busted your ass. It's no longer about creating something awesome and instead about the cash value of your work.

If you're going to do that, do it for a wage. Get a job with a gaming company. Trying to shoehorn that into a hobby just introduces problems to the whole community IMO.

Again though, please reach out to the Nexus folks. If there's going to be people using the Nexus to sell their goods it needs sorted sooner rather than later so that the community doesn't get even more disrupted over that.