Paid mods for skyrim workshop on steam

Nexures

You know what guys. I will remain Nexus exclusive, you guys are right. Congrats for convincing me :smile:

I am glad to hear you changed your mind. I donated the price of what you were going to charge on the Workshop to you. Ain't much, but I hope others follow my lead (and I seriously need to go to bed, curse Valve for making this controversy so horrible yet interesting to watch... like a car crash I say.).

Edit: My phone didn't ding like it usually does when I make a transaction, so if you didn't receive it let me know. Paypal Receipt said it worked fine though.

Edit 2: Just dinged five minutes after the fact. Guess Paypal is slow today.

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

I am going to trust the Nexus to resolve some of the issues modders are having.

Maybe this will serve as a much needed wake up call. Really hope things are improved somehow.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what guys. I will remain Nexus exclusive, you guys are right. Congrats for convincing me :smile:

I am glad to hear you changed your mind. I donated the price of what you were going to charge on the Workshop to you. Ain't much, but I hope others follow my lead (and I seriously need to go to bed, curse Valve for making this controversy so horrible yet interesting to watch... like a car crash I say.).

Edit: My phone didn't ding like it usually does when I make a transaction, so if you didn't receive it let me know. Paypal Receipt said it worked fine though.

Edit 2: Just dinged five minutes after the fact. Guess Paypal is slow today.

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

I am going to trust the Nexus to resolve some of the issues modders are having.

Maybe this will serve as a much needed wake up call. Really hope things are improved somehow.

Nexus could provide some real competition for Workshop. Valve opened themselves up to competition, their name is besmirched and I believe the PCmasterrace reddit removed Gaben from their page. All it will take is someone to move in while Valve is off balance to knock them down a peg.

1. Did modders get into modding to sell their mods?
  2. Did modders get into modding in order to showcase their work in case a game company just happens to see it and hire them?

I'd like to point out that in the case of number 2, the general public are very much guinea pigs in order to help boost the professional of the mod author. The more people playing their mod, the more people report bugs in their mod, the more people endorse their mod, the more people spread word of mouth about their mod; the higher the chance the mod author's work is brought to the attention of a professional or indie game studio.

If the mod author gets hired, great! It's their private life, and they have succeeded professionally.

But when they turn around and sell something that the general public indirectly contributed to, nuh uh.

'Course, this doesn't apply to someone who has never modded before, and their very first mod is a paid one.

This thread is unbelievable, and get off the "entitled" retoric it's old and it's BS and doesn't belong here or anywhere else. I make mods, I don't charge for them, I don't expect to get paid for them and I don't have an ego the size of mount olympus that would dictate I charge for them. People are not entitled to anything I make and no one has ever acted as if they are. the "entitlement" thing started long ago because people couldn't think of anything better to say when they knew they were loosing an argument. paying for a mod isn't going to make it work, you paid for Skyrim how did that work out for you? and then comes DLC with well over 1000 dirty edits combined how did paying for those work out? It's bad enough Bethesda relies on modders to fix and/or make the game actually work but now they want even more money for work they are not doing. oh and by the way. don't forget to declare your mod earnings on your taxes. Bethesda and Valve will declare there 75%. as little as it might be it is considered income.

The problem with paying for mods is the subjectivity of whether they're worth the money.

In my opinion the biggest mods, Falskaar and Wyrmstooth, just aren't that great. I mean, yeah, they're awesome for FREE but I wouldn't pay for them.

Actually, I thought Dragonborn kind of sucked and that was a DLC.

Skyrim is an amazing game and we've all UNDERPAID for the thousands of hours we've put into it.

Some of the the mods I've downloaded here are worth money to me personally. There are mods I used with less than 1,000 endorsements that I think are the top 10 mods of all-time.

We obvious get a tremendous deal here on Nexus and that's why it's so important to thank mod authors for their hard work. If I had the kind of money where I could donate I would do it.

The problem with paying for mods is the subjectivity of whether they're worth the money.

In my opinion the biggest mods, Falskaar and Wyrmstooth, just aren't that great. I mean, yeah, they're awesome for FREE but I wouldn't pay for them.

Actually, I thought Dragonborn kind of sucked and that was a DLC.

Skyrim is an amazing game and we've all UNDERPAID for the thousands of hours we've put into it.

Some of the the mods I've downloaded here are worth money to me personally. There are mods I used with less than 1,000 endorsements that I think are the top 10 mods of all-time.

We obvious get a tremendous deal here on Nexus and that's why it's so important to thank mod authors for their hard work. If I had the kind of money where I could donate I would do it.

But where does it end? Ive probably enjoyed more then 1000 mods for oblivion, fallout, fallout nv, and skyrim. Should i throw around literally thousands of dollars here? Do i OWE the mod authors? Im not sure but it does stand to reason that there is no way in hell i can pay them. Do they deserve my money for these mods? I dont want to be cynical but i had a very hard time paying 15 dollars for the entire game and now they expect me to donate 5 dollars for a single weapon? Are they insane?

However I have two concerns:

First is if the community trys to copy the payed mods to make them free. I really hope nobody is advocating for this because it is a trashy thing to do.

I'm advocating this. I have every right to. If I want to create a free version of a paid mod from scratch I'll have put in the same amount of work as the other author. This would only be a problem if you steal their hand made assets. I don't want anyone who puts their mod behind a paywall to make a single cent, and I'll do everything in my power to make sure they don't.

However I have two concerns:

First is if the community trys to copy the payed mods to make them free. I really hope nobody is advocating for this because it is a trashy thing to do.

I'm advocating this. I have every right to. If I want to create a free version of a paid mod from scratch I'll have put in the same amount of work as the other author. This would only be a problem if you steal their hand made assets. I don't want anyone who puts their mod behind a paywall to make a single cent, and I'll do everything in my power to make sure they don't.

If you make a SkyUI knockoff, you would have the support of 60k people.

Anyone want to make a money pot as a reward for anyone who makes a SkyUI replacement? We all pledge a dollar, and we give it to whoever gives us an alternative to the pay wall. If we are going to vote with our wallets, we should do so both positively (giving money to the modders) and negatively (not giving any money to Valve/Bethesda)

I will start out by pledging one Sealand Dollar (fixed exchange rate with the USD) to whoever builds this replacement. Who else wants to join in?

Edited by freedom613