Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

I'm laying the blame on Bethesda and Valve here. Sheer greed. And when money comes into something that should represent the love one has for a game or a series, then that thing gets destroyed.

Bethesda, Valve, do not fall into the trap that's already consumed EA and Activision.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap these comments are depressing. People are galvanizing their hatred and accusing others of conspiracy. A bloody linchmob is forming against mod authors for taking advantage of this. THE SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT IS SO STRONG IT'S TANGIBLE!

Everyone please put your pitchforks away and think about your life for a second.

I do not pretend to be authority on any of these matters, but I will give this opinion:

Any organization that brings money as incentive for any and all who wish to be involved becomes oversaturated and often lazy. Much like the music industry. There is still good new music out there, but it is much MUCH harder to sift through all the crap to find it. The motivation for making mods (not full games that require funding) is best left in terms of enjoyment and creativity.

That's my humble and possibly uninformed two-cents.

In response to post #24571929. #24572044, #24572064, #24572299, #24573824, #24573909, #24574109, #24574289, #24574414, #24574694, #24574724, #24574819, #24574964, #24575344, #24575629, #24575824 are all replies on the same post.

swiftfoxmark2 wrote:
boulegue wrote: bethesda decided to legalize it
Azarakos wrote: Valve and Bethesda get 75% of the mod income, the modder himself/herself get 25%. More money to the companies.

Welcome to capitalism, brother.
boulegue wrote: a musician gets much less for their music, a developer gets much less for their work on the game, a writer gets much less for their books.....

valve is being very generous in that department
swiftfoxmark2 wrote: Yes, I know that. But I'm referring to the Nexus policy.
boulegue wrote: the nexus is probably not able to give bethesda a share or bethesda is simply not interested in it and partnered with valve
WightMage wrote: And this why self publishing books and indie record labels are all the rage now. So too should it be with mods, IMO.
boulegue wrote: in the top 15 combined print & e-book fiction bestseller list of march 2015 all are published by established publishers to lazy to look up the music charts but i could bet its similar.... selfpublished and indie labels remain a minority because they cant afford the advertising big publishers can.... just as with games.... theres a few exceptions like minecraft but even that has now a big publisher behind it now
Reaper0021 wrote: This statement is 100% wrong. I work in the "Entertainment Industry" in the 'literature' side of things. Author's don't "Get" less for their books in that capacity. Nor is it "Much Less". You claim to work in the 'industry' and if so cool. But please don't step where you have no knowledge.
boulegue wrote: the industry standart for royalties for books is 10% correct?
Reaper0021 wrote: Wrong. Dependent on several factors but not limited to: Authors previous works, legal, notoriety, part of a series/contractual, etc. Too many things to list. No, 10% is not even worth the ink.
Reaper0021 wrote: Writers i.e. Script Writers might get away with that. Think someone like "S. King, R.A. Salvatore or numerous other well known authors would settle for that? No. The amount fluctuates and is dependent on many factors.
boulegue wrote: okay none of our modders here no matter how good they are are world renown they are literally starting the business today
Reaper0021 wrote: Very true. But your statement is still wrong. You've gone from 21 posts today to your current 87. Obviously this is a subject you care about. So, let me just say this once more for your own benefit: I'm NOT against modder's making money. Hell, Bethesda should have paid some of these people out of their own pockets months ago for taking their game and breathing a whole new life into it. I'm looking at/worried about the bigger picture. I'm just that way....far thinking. What I'm afraid of is this will add fire to the current trend of "Pay to Win". An example for you: The Total War Games. Rome II, Attila....all of them have factions. Many in fact. What CA/SEGA does is cuts out the blood, gore, factions, etc. and offers them up as "DLC". Pricey in the long run. This trend needs to stop.
boulegue wrote: its actually 4am and im just unable to sleep i really dont care either way i wont buy mods on steam workshop myself i started by telling people that they could file DMCA complaints if something of their work got stolen.... and i believe i started with 2 comments yesterday just a coincedent i couldnt sleep and came here at the right/wrong time

and i 100% agree you that the pay to win & microtransaction crap has to end.... but starting a whitch hunt at the modders that are trying to make money off of it (not you but others) and others crying for the worlds end just makes it kinda entertaining i could also argue against the valve system but theres already 9000 people signing the petition and another couple hundred here and on steam being against it... very few people defending people like cheesko, isoku and blacklake that do nothing wrong
Reaper0021 wrote: I'm on YOUR side. I agree. Modders if they want money and deserve it and CAN get it....okay. I just think better ideas are abounding about how to do it man. Much better ones that won't encourage STEAM/Valve to keep taking every damn chance to milk us for every last damn $$$ we got/get/will get.

boulegue -

Don't make it out like people are mad that mod authors are getting paid. I think that is the least of anyone's concern. They should get paid if they feel so inclined through donations. I support that 100%

There are other more important issues at hand here. 25% being chief among them, followed closely behind by DMCA fears. What's going to happen if Valve gets copywrite for all these mods? Can offering the same mod that just changes a few globals get taken down here? There is going to be no way to tell and a whole bunch of crap flinging. As it stands, its a terrible idea and I haven't seen anything to convince me otherwise.

In response to post #24576269.

Krazeecain wrote:

There is a sense of entitlement because we are against our community being divided? That we do not like the precedent that is being set? I do not support abusing the authors who decided to paywall, but I do agree with a boycott. The same reasoning that allows them to sell their mods (free market) is the same reasoning we can use to boycott them. Edited by freedom613

Not a big fan of being forced to pay for mods. I'd be more inclined to donate through a service like patreon. Also not big fan of the OBVIOUS cash grab by bethesda / Steam. Seriously? 25% cut? thats all? The modders do the work and you take 75%?

In response to post #24575704.

TheSovietPenguin wrote:

I mostly agree with your post. I think this system is a horrendously bad idea for modding in general - the only ones this will benefit in the end are Valve and Bethesda, because they're profiting off of someone else's work (i.e. skimming). Mod authors who choose to use it exclusively will likely find themselves not making much money out of it (I imagine most of us won't be willing to pay for mods if we are forced to - I sure won't), and users will find themselves deprived of outstanding work if they aren't willing to pay for it. There's no question in my mind that some mods are truly worthy of being monetarily rewarded for it, but requiring that reward leaves a really bad taste in my mouth - both as a user and someone who has created a few (simple) mods.

I honestly wouldn't feel so bad about just paying a creator for their hard work, but if 75% of that is truly going to just Valve, f*#@ that.