Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24577124. #24577239, #24577309, #24577359, #24577374, #24577389, #24577464, #24577479 are all replies on the same post.

phantompally76 wrote:
WightMage wrote: Can confirm: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430324898

"
This item is no longer for sale
This item is no longer for sale, but if you have purchased it, you will still have access to it."

Dafuq?
freedom613 wrote: Edit: Ty Wightmage, I wonder why he would remove it? Maybe we are getting through to the paywall modders?
Azulyn wrote: I think it had something to do with Fore and Chesko's use of his animation assets or some such
OWA1 wrote: I think the creator of FNIS asked him to remove it, as it uses his resources.
Userper wrote: The hate likely got to much for the guy...
not suprised though.
willow123 wrote: yup
CaedesAposis wrote: Good, let Chesko be the first to fall to the group that built him up.

Christ- do you guys realize how many mods use FNIS? (hint- a s#*! ton of the mods in the animation category)

I didn't expect the bubble to burst so soon.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder how many people got a Suspended Steam Account today. the comments on there are crazy.

I just got a Suspended Steam Account for something. Must have been me saying don't support valve in monetizing mods? I personally think this won't take off. Bethesda could be testing the waters and when they see the backlash they might back off.

Still its a shame that this might divide this amazing community :( I don't agree with the harsh comments but still some of these authors had to see this coming?

In response to post #24577019.

Elegost75 wrote:

i believe, making a mod a paid service is a very good way to increase the efficiency of the modding quality overall.
and i also believe, letting them cut %75 of your works profit is complete bs and it makes you look like stupid.

In response to post #24576539. #24576709, #24576894, #24577109, #24577169, #24577289, #24577459 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote:
fgambler wrote: The problem is other people stealing their work. Take custom textures as example. Modders that make standalone followers hardly use vanilla textures or make their own.
XenocideAgain wrote: And? When you release a free product like this it is to be expected. You will mostly get a bunch of crap copies that don't do anything but occasionally there might be that one that improves on want one started. If you don't want people to copy your work don't share it, that simple. People will ALWAYS copy others no stopping it. Its good to see that people are taking a stand.
WightMage wrote: This is true. In this day and age, it is damn near impossible to stop people from copying your work. Is it unethical? Yes- but unless you find creative ways to stop it that can't be easily circumvented (certain DRM, or scripts that fire upon detecting a bootleg copy which renders the game unplayable) your only other options are to make use of the pirating as free marketing and hope more people buy your stuff (has been done before), or to not release it.

It is as much a reality in today's world as dying is, and it won't change short of a worldwide disaster that obliterates the internet. And even then, people are still going to see you make something, and copy it.
fgambler wrote: Sure it's expected, and it's also the reason it might kill free and good modding.
WightMage wrote: Why would it kill free and good modding anymore now than before? It's not like people didn't pirate prior to the changes made today.

Not too long ago there was a shitstorm regarding the rightful creators of a Fate/Stay Night mod, for instance...
fgambler wrote: The absolute majority of the modders just ask for permission to use their assets as long as it's distributed freely.

Things change drastically when money is involved.

This is true. I see where you're coming from now.

I just shelved a handful of projects I was planning on undertaking to add to this community. I have notebooks, *entire notebooks* full of sketches, and workflow diagrams, all waiting for the summer to hit so I could devote time to them. Coming back to moddable PC games, finding the Nexus (the last time I modded a game, we still used the planet** websites(e.g. planetquake), and now...I just don't want the hassle of DMCAs, EULAs and all the other BS that comes with money changing hands. It makes things too damn formal. I don't want to sell what I was planning on making, I don't want what I make to be stolen from by others for profit. I also recognize that a piece of paper has never halted anyone other than a person who agreed to uphold the contract in the first place. Believing otherwise is just naive.

I'm going to have to sit back on my heels and watch how this whole mess plays out now. I was really excited by the prospect of becoming one of you awesome skyrim modder guys, too. Hopefully I still will, after the smoke clears.

In response to post #24577154. #24577384, #24577424, #24577509, #24577664 are all replies on the same post.

willow123 wrote:
knightspk2 wrote: People are charging for SKSE mods, so I guess not...
popcorn71 wrote: Nope. As far as I understand you can literally do whatever you want with SKSE.
Here is a link to the MIT License SKSE is released under.

http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
willow123 wrote: wait that new and i need to update my SKSE
willow123 wrote: also if steam does this to garry mod then am done

I think trying to sell paid mods for Garry's Mod would cause Gaben to die from a heart attack.

I mean, seriously. As far as copyright infringement goes, Skyrim has nothing on GM.

Sooo .. Long term, if this becomes popular, what are the implications? A lot of people talking about how hard it will be for paid mods to compete with free nexus mods but when the next Bethsoft game comes out will there even be the option for nexus mods?

I mean, if the publishers start making money, for zero effort, zero cost, zero risk and zero QA required, why wouldn't they lock their game to only support steam workshop for mods. They would be leaving free money on the table. This is the start of a closed mod system, mod creators should be looking at the long term effects of opting into Bethsoft and Valve's scheme.

Second, if people are buying mods, what incentive do publishers have to not release a half arsed game for full price and collect ~50% of the sales of the inevitable mods that the community makes to fix up their shitty game? They are already incentivised to remove features to sell later as DLC. If this becomes a thing, then why would a publisher spend money to add a popular feature to a game when they can leave it out and cash in when the modding community steps up?

Third, even if it doesn't succeed, they are warping the concept of user mods into free DLC. Worst case for them if the modding community is destroyed its no problem because they can develop their own DLC with less/no competition from modders who used to do it for free.

I am so disgusted with Valve and Bethsoft, shame on their greedy asses.

In response to post #24577124. #24577239, #24577309, #24577359, #24577374, #24577389, #24577464, #24577479, #24577744 are all replies on the same post.

phantompally76 wrote:
WightMage wrote: Can confirm: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430324898

"
This item is no longer for sale
This item is no longer for sale, but if you have purchased it, you will still have access to it."

Dafuq?
freedom613 wrote: Edit: Ty Wightmage, I wonder why he would remove it? Maybe we are getting through to the paywall modders?
Azulyn wrote: I think it had something to do with Fore and Chesko's use of his animation assets or some such
OWA1 wrote: I think the creator of FNIS asked him to remove it, as it uses his resources.
Userper wrote: The hate likely got to much for the guy...
not suprised though.
willow123 wrote: yup
CaedesAposis wrote: Good, let Chesko be the first to fall to the group that built him up.
WightMage wrote: Christ- do you guys realize how many mods use FNIS? (hint- a s#*! ton of the mods in the animation category)

I didn't expect the bubble to burst so soon.

i wouldnt use as fiery words as you guys but i do agree with that fact that paywall modders standing on the shoulders of non-paywall modders is totally a diabolical money grab act and should be dealt with.