Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24577124. #24577239, #24577309, #24577359, #24577374, #24577389, #24577464 are all replies on the same post.

phantompally76 wrote:
WightMage wrote: Can confirm: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=430324898

"
This item is no longer for sale
This item is no longer for sale, but if you have purchased it, you will still have access to it."

Dafuq?
freedom613 wrote: Edit: Ty Wightmage, I wonder why he would remove it? Maybe we are getting through to the paywall modders?
Azulyn wrote: I think it had something to do with Fore and Chesko's use of his animation assets or some such
OWA1 wrote: I think the creator of FNIS asked him to remove it, as it uses his resources.
Userper wrote: The hate likely got to much for the guy...
not suprised though.
willow123 wrote: yup

Good, let Chesko be the first to fall to the group that built him up.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24577154. #24577384, #24577424 are all replies on the same post.

willow123 wrote:
knightspk2 wrote: People are charging for SKSE mods, so I guess not...
popcorn71 wrote: Nope. As far as I understand you can literally do whatever you want with SKSE.
Here is a link to the MIT License SKSE is released under.

http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT

wait that new and i need to update my SKSE Edited by willow123

In response to post #24577484.

tamu75 wrote:

I appreciate you keeping your mods for free Tamu75. I think I've used your LODs several times when modding Skyrim. Do you still have that grassy field replacer mod? (I forget what it was called, sorry.)

In response to post #24576794. #24576869, #24577274 are all replies on the same post.

Kevlar39 wrote:
freedom613 wrote: Bethesda is testing the waters. If this backfires, then they will quietly drop this in their next game. If it makes money, then you will see them continue to expand their reach until it backfires.

Hence why it is imperative to kill this before it begins.

Edit: My post no longer makes sense now that you changed what your post was stating.
Kevlar39 wrote: My edited post makes more sense than the original. :)

Your post still makes sense even without his original as it still talks about what I'm worried about. Keep the post AS IS.

Both Bethesda and Valve disgust me. Modders who are now monetizing their mods. and those defending this step, should be ashamed. No one forced you to create a mod, you created it because you enjoy the game and want people to enjoy what you've created.

What happened to creating so that others may enjoy what your imagination has created? Or improving a game so that others may have a more enjoyable experience (free of charge)?

That being said, it's not like artistic integrity matters to any of the aforementioned individuals, nor does preservation of modding as an expression(in multiple different forms) or hobby.

I find this quote to be befitting of the situation we are faced with: "Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction." Erich Fromm.

In response to post #24577154. #24577384, #24577424, #24577509 are all replies on the same post.

willow123 wrote:
knightspk2 wrote: People are charging for SKSE mods, so I guess not...
popcorn71 wrote: Nope. As far as I understand you can literally do whatever you want with SKSE.
Here is a link to the MIT License SKSE is released under.

http://opensource.org/licenses/MIT
willow123 wrote: wait that new and i need to update my SKSE

also if steam does this to garry mod then am done

I do not understand paying for a mod, I understand that some modders out there put alot of time into their work and I appreciate them as such.

However by introducing a paywall for mods is a horrendously bad idea. It will create a floodgate for every John to just upload mods for money regardless of whether they are fixed of bugs or will continue to update the mod.

Though of course modders have no real responsibilities to continue to work on a mod or to further develop them, but that is not true once a paywall is introduced.

Not to mention that numerous modders have left the community due to others uploading their work on the Steam Workshop. Introducing a paywall will only create incentive to steal others work and upload them first