Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24572569. #24572664, #24572779, #24573134, #24573299, #24573349, #24573499 are all replies on the same post.

phantompally76 wrote:
IgnacyOrder wrote: Im sure I wont be releasing my mod any more. I jsut keep it for myself because I dotn want someone now to steal it and make money for nothing. Or the fact I did use some stuff from modderss recources. Some people now may force me to pay for reeasing mod even thou its free. Makes me criminal then. I guess many modders wont want that problem

Youtuber mod showcases will die as well as it will be expensive hobby now
boulegue wrote: authors just like publishers will send their mods to reviewers for free so they get exposure
zzjay wrote: Lol you're right...i will never sell a mod...too many problems...of they close free modding ill jusy quit.

Modding is an hobby...not a job...if bethesda cant make thir own games pretty i dont see why to buy em at all...if i even have to pay for mods...mods are like essential for skyrim...without its worthless...
phantompally76 wrote: The question is how many of the irate modders out there tonight who are unendorsing chesko and isako's mods out of spite (which I don't condone, but totally understand) will in turn unsubscribe from Brodual, Gopher, and all the other popular mod reviewers that they perceive as being advocates for charging a fee for untested alpha content? So far I've only seen a reaction by Gopher, who was being diplomatically cautious about the whole thing.

I fear (and I really do hope I'm wrong) that this will also have an adverse affect on the Youtube modding reviews community. I'm not sure how many reviewers will risk losing subscribers, traffic and revenue by reviewing paid mods. Only time will tell.
boulegue wrote: zzjay you have made some great mods most of which are well up there in the 100,000 downloads so theres no disputing youre a great modder

but why do you want to take away others freedom to sell their hard work, if you dont want to sell yours thats fine and many think the same as you.... but if isoku and cheesko who are also great modders what to make money of off it why wouldnt you let them? noone is taking away our free mods valve and bethesda just gave us the option to monetize the work people put into their mods
rkelly wrote: my question is if mods go paid for than wont they become targets for pirates? in other words wouldn't this make mod piracy becoming a actual thing?

Just look at the pricing alone.

Wet and Cold apparently set its price at $4,99
If I'm looking at Skyrim as a base game and its DLC.
We're seeing $20~40 for basegame/DLC or Legendary Edition.

So what would Wet and Cold be worth compared to the base game when the base game goes on sale as low as $14 on sale (And thats the Legendary Edition)?
What about a mod like Falskaar? Is Falskaar worth the same as Dragonborn/Dawnguard due to its size? Is it worth less because of some quality concerns? (Its good, but you notice its a mod nonetheless.)

What about something like SkyWind or Luftahraan that is worked on by a larger team?
How do you determine value for that?

What about mods that rely on assets from other mod makers?
What about customer support, who is responsible?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24573544. #24573644, #24573679 are all replies on the same post.

guiaugu132 wrote:
boulegue wrote: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/34147/?
you mean this mod?
rkelly wrote: NOOOO!!!

Nope , i mean THIS (Skyforge Weapons) http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36815/? and THIS (Skyforge Shields) http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26344/?

In response to post #24572569. #24572664, #24572779, #24573134, #24573299, #24573349, #24573499, #24573674 are all replies on the same post.

phantompally76 wrote:
IgnacyOrder wrote: Im sure I wont be releasing my mod any more. I jsut keep it for myself because I dotn want someone now to steal it and make money for nothing. Or the fact I did use some stuff from modderss recources. Some people now may force me to pay for reeasing mod even thou its free. Makes me criminal then. I guess many modders wont want that problem

Youtuber mod showcases will die as well as it will be expensive hobby now
boulegue wrote: authors just like publishers will send their mods to reviewers for free so they get exposure
zzjay wrote: Lol you're right...i will never sell a mod...too many problems...of they close free modding ill jusy quit.

Modding is an hobby...not a job...if bethesda cant make thir own games pretty i dont see why to buy em at all...if i even have to pay for mods...mods are like essential for skyrim...without its worthless...
phantompally76 wrote: The question is how many of the irate modders out there tonight who are unendorsing chesko and isako's mods out of spite (which I don't condone, but totally understand) will in turn unsubscribe from Brodual, Gopher, and all the other popular mod reviewers that they perceive as being advocates for charging a fee for untested alpha content? So far I've only seen a reaction by Gopher, who was being diplomatically cautious about the whole thing.

I fear (and I really do hope I'm wrong) that this will also have an adverse affect on the Youtube modding reviews community. I'm not sure how many reviewers will risk losing subscribers, traffic and revenue by reviewing paid mods. Only time will tell.
boulegue wrote: zzjay you have made some great mods most of which are well up there in the 100,000 downloads so theres no disputing youre a great modder

but why do you want to take away others freedom to sell their hard work, if you dont want to sell yours thats fine and many think the same as you.... but if isoku and cheesko who are also great modders what to make money of off it why wouldnt you let them? noone is taking away our free mods valve and bethesda just gave us the option to monetize the work people put into their mods
rkelly wrote: my question is if mods go paid for than wont they become targets for pirates? in other words wouldn't this make mod piracy becoming a actual thing?
danjal wrote: Just look at the pricing alone.

Wet and Cold apparently set its price at $4,99
If I'm looking at Skyrim as a base game and its DLC.
We're seeing $20~40 for basegame/DLC or Legendary Edition.

So what would Wet and Cold be worth compared to the base game when the base game goes on sale as low as $14 on sale (And thats the Legendary Edition)?
What about a mod like Falskaar? Is Falskaar worth the same as Dragonborn/Dawnguard due to its size? Is it worth less because of some quality concerns? (Its good, but you notice its a mod nonetheless.)

What about something like SkyWind or Luftahraan that is worked on by a larger team?
How do you determine value for that?

What about mods that rely on assets from other mod makers?
What about customer support, who is responsible?

the price goes from $1-$99 you choose how much you pay for wet&cold $5 is just the recommended price

In response to post #24573624. #24573669 is also a reply to the same post.

nathanj wrote:
boulegue wrote: more mods will give you more choice to choose from sounds like an advantage

Guaranteed. Gopher gave this very reason in his video on why he wouldn't put his mods up.
It'd be a matter of time before someone made the same functions into a mod (no need to copy it even) and distributed it themselves.

And even with quest mods or complete overhaul mods. How do you determine its value when Steam Workshop fails to provide any support towards compatibility?

In response to post #24571614. #24572234, #24572374, #24572469, #24572589, #24572669, #24572829, #24572854, #24572864, #24572984, #24572994, #24573004, #24573029, #24573229, #24573324, #24573399, #24573439 are all replies on the same post.

KaiserDeathIV wrote:
speash wrote: Signed
ShwayNorris wrote: Signed
Kerros wrote: Signed, thank you for the link
zzjay wrote: Will do tomorrow..cant open from phone :(.

I doubt it'll help...we can simply not buy em.
groupthinker1984 wrote: Way too soon for this kind of knee jerk reaction.

I agree that this COULD be absolutely disastrous. Or it could be wonderful. Or somehow both at the same time.
MrSpanky wrote: signed. passed the 7500 mark
Rigmor wrote: Signed
Ultrametal wrote: This means nothing to Valve, they just gonna discourage people from making mods, since anyone can steal the idea and sell it with a different color.
softail4life wrote: Signed...thank you
Mindprobe24 wrote: Signed (8305)
shaithlis wrote: Signed
jradik wrote: signed
popcorn71 wrote: Sites not loading. Too many people trying to sing?
BFNord wrote: and signed. and forwarded the link to a few others. f*#@ that noise.
StackEmHigh wrote: Signed.
akkalat85 wrote: Signing...

Signed.

In response to post #24571929. #24572044, #24572064, #24572299 are all replies on the same post.

swiftfoxmark2 wrote:
boulegue wrote: bethesda decided to legalize it
Azarakos wrote: Valve and Bethesda get 75% of the mod income, the modder himself/herself get 25%. More money to the companies.

Welcome to capitalism, brother.
boulegue wrote: a musician gets much less for their music, a developer gets much less for their work on the game, a writer gets much less for their books.....

valve is being very generous in that department

Yes, I know that. But I'm referring to the Nexus policy.

In response to post #24572719. #24572849, #24573089, #24573569, #24573724 are all replies on the same post.

doomdoging wrote:
phellen wrote: second this.
shaithlis wrote: Now that is not a bad idea.
phellen wrote:
nathanj wrote: Fiftheded.

Advertising, or even a subscription system through a platform that works directly with the mod creators or even in a joint venture with Bethesda would be far superior.
And probably provide superior customer support aswell.

Just ask anyone who has ever had problems with Steam Early Access on how good Valve is at providing support...