Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24585894.

Olurum wrote:

"Unpredictable quality". Exactly! Videos, descriptions and all that just cannot give you an impression as good as actually trying it out. I'm doing that all the time. Mods that end up as keepers are a minority out of a whole lot I'm trying. I'm definitely not paying for that.
Nexus could tell you, depending on how many mods you've downloaded, to donate a certain amount in cash. Either to one modder or split to several modders. I'd be okay with that.

There's currently a divide in the community. This civil war has been brought on by Valve's new pay-per-mod system. This sick business practice entices mod authors to sell their work through Steam and take home 25% of the earnings while Valve takes 75%. This demotes the idea of releasing new content on sites like the Nexus because they can easily be (and indeed already has been) stolen from here and posted on the open market. Checks and balances mean nothing to big business. What is a mod author to do except enact a pay policy lest their mod be stolen and charged for by thieves?

Valve is actively discouraging donation methods by banning users with links to sites like paypal. This is a truly filthy business practice brought on by corporate greed. Valve simply must take 75% of the mod's earnings and will literally silence you if you think differently. I find this absolutely disgusting.

If you wish to add your voice to the growing list of users that feel this may be the beginning of the end of what made modding great please sign this petition and stop this madness...

I used to buy lot of stuff on steam, also because i used to see it as a fair business model. But seems i will cut by a lot my steam expenses in the future.

Already deleted 90% of my wishlist.

Its possibly useless but it will make me feel better to not support this pure act of greediness from what i considered the 2 best VG companies.

And i used to support free mods.

Try to do the same...boycott steam mods and try to support free mods.

I'm all for donating to modders when you feel they deserve it, and they so often do. However, actually charging for the mods I feel is a huge mistake. The community has always been about being free and open, not excluding anyone. If modders begin to only release mods that are paid-for, you're excluding a whole lot of people that just enjoy the game and can't shell out a couple dollars for the mods. Like me, for example. I have 400 some mods in my game. If each of those were just $3, I'd have spent over $1,200 on Skyrim. That's more than most people spend on their games for 5 years.

I'm all for modders getting paid. However, it should be out of your own generosity, not charging for the work. Modding has always been a hobby, never a career. Trying to change that will kill off a whole lot of support. I just hope people realize that and keep putting out free and open mods. If you wanna put it on Steam for a price but still upload it to the Nexus for free, that's fine. However, forcing people to pay for the mods with drastically reduce the fanbase, and the community presence at large

I never used Steam Workshop and I'll never use Steam Workshop.

It is simply just too bad compared to Mod Organizer.

If Modders want money in return you can do that here too, no need for Steam Workshop.