Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24586579. #24586614, #24587344, #24587449 are all replies on the same post.

hafizlordfeast wrote:
boulegue wrote: fores said that he dont want cheesko to use his assets and cheesko imediately pulled down the mod.... that is a prime example of the system working
MrSpanky wrote: Its also a prime example of modders not reading (or caring) about the conditions asked by the authors of assets they use.
Laureolus wrote: "It the system working."

Yep, taking others work and hoping no one notices.

fores gave permission to use his assets probably not thinking that charging for it would ever be an option.... since cheesko has signed a NDA he did not have the option to ask for permission at that time
judging by cheeskos reaction i think he read and cared a lot about what fores had to say

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24587454.

testiger2 wrote:

it's simple if we all agree not to buy mods it'll decade soon...we just have to be united,cause we have power to decide what to buy.if beth'll remove free modding i'll not buy any of their future games.simply because its worthless without mods.they cant do their job and leave it up to us and now they make us pay

In response to post #24586549. #24586889, #24586954, #24587054, #24587239, #24587269, #24587399 are all replies on the same post.

Schmornoff wrote:
Chris1986 wrote: I agree that there are a-lot of mod authors who see it as a hobby or pastime and would not charge for their mods ever. I believe that there are people who put enough time and effort into their creations to warrant a payment if they want. There will always be lots of good mod authors willing to provide high quality free mods, but I don't think its inherently wrong to ask for payment for your work.

I think the REAL issue here is the fact that it is now in Valve and Bethesda's interest to discourage free mod sites like the Nexus. If there are awesome mods available on the Nexus for free then that will be direct competition for their income from the steam workshop. Why pay for a mod when there may be a similar one for free here?

I have a horrible feeling that the next game (Fallout or TES) will have exclusive Steam Workshop modding and will not be compatible with mods installed by 3rd party software (NMM or MO for example). If that turns out to be the case then we can expect a good number of the "essential" best mods to be behind a pay-wall.

Maybe I'm catastrophizing but I see this as a step towards a more closed and suspicious modding community where people will feel reluctant to share work or give permission for their work to be altered by patches and merged mods because of the question of payment.

It may be that we've had it too good for too long and that any type of wildly successful creative scene like this is a time bomb waiting for someone to monetize it. That is the nature of capitalism after all; see what is popular and figure out how to make money from it.

I hope I am wrong.
Schmornoff wrote: If your forecast should turn out true I can promise you this much "we" the Modders wont tollerate practices like that. I hope I can speak for everyone on this case :)
I wouldnt Mod for a game if it forces you to pay for my stuff and works with methods working against free comunitys.
This would mean the next FallOut or Tes will have basicly no mods :D or no mods worth buying and this again will conclue in the FallOut or Tes after that beeing free again. So dont worry ;)

Edit: and would mean Skyrim will probabily become one of the most modded games ever :D cause we will all just wait for the next free version to come out and continue working on skyrim. Skyrim is a great skeleton and their are grafic mods out there making it to look better then any game avalible :D
boulegue wrote: maybe nothing will change for free modders like yourself but in addition to you guys we get professional studios or new young talent that do modding as a career
Chris1986 wrote: That gives me a little hope. As I said that is my worst case scenario and I really hope that it does not come to that. As a player who regularly has 50+ mods active I would not be able to maintain that if even 1/4 of them were paid for I don't earn that much and I chop and change mods very often depending on my mood and the play-through I'm doing.

Even if only 10% of the mods I used were paid, I don't think I could afford it :(
Schmornoff wrote: thats exactly what I mean I would love to make this my fulltime job with good quality conctent equal to or better then actual dlc's. So all in all this could turn out awsome if you take your "job" on modding serious.
What I think scares the most people off is the forced method it comes around with. I think most people wont mind to pay 50cents or a Dollar or whatever for realy good quality content extending their fun ingame for hours. But they will very much mind paying a Dollar for crap. But if you upload crap and want cash for it it will result in shitstorms which nobody realy likes I can imagine and arent good for sales either ;) so this will balance itself out.
Schmornoff wrote: @chris
you probably mean mods like wet and cold at the moment charing insane 5 Dollars :D thats loco dont know whats up with that guy but he will change his mind sooner or later.
As I said I would do it like this:
- I would upload every version till the final version for free (mean already good versions with minor bugs)
- Then I would upload the final Version for 50cents - 1 Dollar
- If you dont want to pay for the final version just get the "0.99" which is basicly the same just with a few very small bugs
- If you like what I've done want to show endorsment and the final version go get if for a Dollar :D

Everyone would benifit from a moddel like that because it would encourage me to polish a mod out to perfection knowing I can make money of it.

the $5 is just a suggested price you can go as low as $1 which is the minimun on steam right now
and isnt exactly what youre describing what isoku is doing? his old wet&cold version is still avaible here and there are no major bugs as far as i know of

Employee - boss conversation:

Employee: "Hey boss, the modding community is growing to fast and we have no profit from it. In fact, they have better ideas and better programmers. What shall we do?"

Boss: "Hmmmmm, they all shall pay for it. It is our software, our work, yes, it is buggy as hell, but hey, the modding community repairs our failures and the best part is, they will pay for it. All shall burn in the great fire of greed. Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha..."

Becouse we all know, this is not about the modders, this is about the companies.

I wouldn't mind if they weren't steam exclusive. If the rich kids can afford to pay modders for their work on steam then good for them, but we are not all that well off. I mod because i cant afford to play the latest AAA game releases.

Steam and the game publishers are being pretty greedy about all of this imo. And no i don't blame the modders. The temptation is too great to turn down i'd imagine.

In response to post #24587454. #24587604 is also a reply to the same post.

testiger2 wrote:
zzjay wrote: it's simple if we all agree not to buy mods it'll decade soon...we just have to be united,cause we have power to decide what to buy.if beth'll remove free modding i'll not buy any of their future games.simply because its worthless without mods.they cant do their job and leave it up to us and now they make us pay

Simply not buying those mods will NEVER a change anything. Valve/Bethesda don't pay money for that, it's a 100% free income source for them. And the way how these huge companies work, every fraction of a cent additional income is worth it.

The only thing that can change Valve's behaviour is to boycot all Steam products and let them know about why you're doing that.

In response to post #24587454. #24587604, #24587789 are all replies on the same post.

testiger2 wrote:
zzjay wrote: it's simple if we all agree not to buy mods it'll decade soon...we just have to be united,cause we have power to decide what to buy.if beth'll remove free modding i'll not buy any of their future games.simply because its worthless without mods.they cant do their job and leave it up to us and now they make us pay
ScrollTron1c wrote: Simply not buying those mods will NEVER a change anything. Valve/Bethesda don't pay money for that, it's a 100% free income source for them. And the way how these huge companies work, every fraction of a cent additional income is worth it.

The only thing that can change Valve's behaviour is to boycot all Steam products and let them know about why you're doing that.

Well we should do at least something. We all let DLC get as bad as it is.
Last thing we need is for modding to become the next DLC

In response to post #24586549. #24586889, #24586954, #24587054, #24587239, #24587269, #24587399, #24587674, #24587869 are all replies on the same post.

Schmornoff wrote:
Chris1986 wrote: I agree that there are a-lot of mod authors who see it as a hobby or pastime and would not charge for their mods ever. I believe that there are people who put enough time and effort into their creations to warrant a payment if they want. There will always be lots of good mod authors willing to provide high quality free mods, but I don't think its inherently wrong to ask for payment for your work.

I think the REAL issue here is the fact that it is now in Valve and Bethesda's interest to discourage free mod sites like the Nexus. If there are awesome mods available on the Nexus for free then that will be direct competition for their income from the steam workshop. Why pay for a mod when there may be a similar one for free here?

I have a horrible feeling that the next game (Fallout or TES) will have exclusive Steam Workshop modding and will not be compatible with mods installed by 3rd party software (NMM or MO for example). If that turns out to be the case then we can expect a good number of the "essential" best mods to be behind a pay-wall.

Maybe I'm catastrophizing but I see this as a step towards a more closed and suspicious modding community where people will feel reluctant to share work or give permission for their work to be altered by patches and merged mods because of the question of payment.

It may be that we've had it too good for too long and that any type of wildly successful creative scene like this is a time bomb waiting for someone to monetize it. That is the nature of capitalism after all; see what is popular and figure out how to make money from it.

I hope I am wrong.
Schmornoff wrote: If your forecast should turn out true I can promise you this much "we" the Modders wont tollerate practices like that. I hope I can speak for everyone on this case :)
I wouldnt Mod for a game if it forces you to pay for my stuff and works with methods working against free comunitys.
This would mean the next FallOut or Tes will have basicly no mods :D or no mods worth buying and this again will conclue in the FallOut or Tes after that beeing free again. So dont worry ;)

Edit: and would mean Skyrim will probabily become one of the most modded games ever :D cause we will all just wait for the next free version to come out and continue working on skyrim. Skyrim is a great skeleton and their are grafic mods out there making it to look better then any game avalible :D
boulegue wrote: maybe nothing will change for free modders like yourself but in addition to you guys we get professional studios or new young talent that do modding as a career
Chris1986 wrote: That gives me a little hope. As I said that is my worst case scenario and I really hope that it does not come to that. As a player who regularly has 50+ mods active I would not be able to maintain that if even 1/4 of them were paid for I don't earn that much and I chop and change mods very often depending on my mood and the play-through I'm doing.

Even if only 10% of the mods I used were paid, I don't think I could afford it :(
Schmornoff wrote: thats exactly what I mean I would love to make this my fulltime job with good quality conctent equal to or better then actual dlc's. So all in all this could turn out awsome if you take your "job" on modding serious.
What I think scares the most people off is the forced method it comes around with. I think most people wont mind to pay 50cents or a Dollar or whatever for realy good quality content extending their fun ingame for hours. But they will very much mind paying a Dollar for crap. But if you upload crap and want cash for it it will result in shitstorms which nobody realy likes I can imagine and arent good for sales either ;) so this will balance itself out.
Schmornoff wrote: @chris
you probably mean mods like wet and cold at the moment charing insane 5 Dollars :D thats loco dont know whats up with that guy but he will change his mind sooner or later.
As I said I would do it like this:
- I would upload every version till the final version for free (mean already good versions with minor bugs)
- Then I would upload the final Version for 50cents - 1 Dollar
- If you dont want to pay for the final version just get the "0.99" which is basicly the same just with a few very small bugs
- If you like what I've done want to show endorsment and the final version go get if for a Dollar :D

Everyone would benifit from a moddel like that because it would encourage me to polish a mod out to perfection knowing I can make money of it.
boulegue wrote: the $5 is just a suggested price you can go as low as $1 which is the minimun on steam right now
and isnt exactly what youre describing what isoku is doing? his old wet&cold version is still avaible here and there are no major bugs as far as i know of
Highjones wrote: That is really just all conjecture, tho, as we don't know for certain how things will play out, and we also don't know valve/bethesda's full interest in making money out of this, as enforcing workshop-only modding is clearly a very unpopular dickmove.

I guess we'll have to wait and see, I share a lot of your concerns but I am positive we are ahead of ourselves here.

then thats a mayor mistake on steams side aswell as on isoku's. Steam for showing the 5$ as price to pay and not the 1$ and after that the higher prices.
And isoku for not explainging his methods to the comunity correctly. He should change his description text to something like "If you dont want to pay go get yourself the xxx version" with a link and done.
And I think he promoted the 2.0 for weeks or even months and everyone thought he would realse it for free. Now getting knocked infront of your head with a fee makes people very understandably angry. And angry people in crowds tend to get very aggresiv. And thats whats happening to poor isoku at the moment

Edit: doesnt excuse the behavior of some users but I think can explain it a little. Edited by Schmornoff