Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24587774. #24588374, #24588409, #24588444, #24588549, #24588584, #24588659, #24588804 are all replies on the same post.

Faralai wrote:
badiyee85 wrote: I have to agree, seeing the amount of hype, then the update brought... but you have to pay. The price is ridiculously expensive too. In my country's currency that's enough to buy a full dinner meal.
Faralai wrote: Yeah also steams says the reason they are doing this is to to encourage better mods...yeah right, they do because they get 75% of the cash.....
boulegue wrote: you can go as little as $1 thats still a full meal in some countries but steam caters to the majority not everyone
the wet&cold version on the nexus is working fine and if he wouldnt have released an update ever noone wouldve complained about it
GenBloodhorn wrote: Soon enough, Bethesda will regret this decision. just like Elder Scrolls Online paid subscription, that became Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.
phantompally76 wrote: @bouleegue, your devil's advocate routine is getting kind of old, don't you think?

I mean, it isn't any less transparent or obvious than it was 10 hours ago.

boulegue wrote: since people keep posting the same stuff i can keep replying the same stuff im not really siding with anyone just stating facts

if that opposes your opinion good for you but please refrain from trying to silence mine
VladHN wrote: WTF wat and cold COST MORE THAN SKYRIM that week

Oh I'm not trying to silence you, I'm just pointing out that I see right through you, and I'm not the only one. Your intentions are far from noble.

In response to post #24588634. #24588679, #24588759, #24588784, #24588854, #24588879 are all replies on the same post.

jet4571 wrote:
badiyee85 wrote: If only SKSE, BOSS, LOOT, MO, NMM, FNIS, and all the other "instrumental" mod resources would do the same as you are.

Alas, alas, alas..
boulegue wrote: fores told cheesko to take down his fishing mod and he did,
skse posted a statement that they're okay with people relying on SKSE for paid mods so far
badiyee85 wrote: hence, alas.

if only SKSE took a firmer stance.
ScrollTron1c wrote: Interesting that Valve already registered a Nexus account back in 2012 whose only purpose was to spam pro-paid-mods comments 3 years later.
boulegue wrote: i wish valve would employ me if anyone from valve is reading this please shoot me a pm

Valve loves their advertisment trolls. Same happend on the Bethesda forum as they used NV as test for steam distribution.

In response to post #24588874.

Amelli wrote:

Yeah, take for example the mods by Arthmoor. Why should Bethesda benefit from their hard work, when it's Bethesda that released Skyrim chock full of bugs and unfinished quests? If anything Bethesda should be paying them for making their game more stable, ridding it of simple bugs they couldn't be bothered to remove, or finishing quests they half implemented broken (missing apprentices etc). If anything, Bethesda should be paying the modders for making the game more complete and better and giving us slight discounts for releasing a heavily broken and very split-end game.

I don't mind paying very small amounts for excellent mods, as the guys have of course spent their time on it. I'd pay for Arthmoor's, even though he seems to hate me and have me on ignore :P, but (I haven't looked into the policy) I wouldn't be happy with Valve or Bethesda taking a share. If they did their jobs properly, half of these mods wouldn't be needed - though I accept a lot of mods are aesthetic and for choice. Some, like the unofficial patches, I deem essential and ultimately blame Bethesda for not doing those jobs themselves.

I hate Valve tbh. They're so unbelievably greedy. They let early access games like Towns and Spacebase DF9 con and lie to you to cash grab, then take no responsibility. They're the most greedy and non-customer focused entity I've had to deal with.

I'm gutted that I have to use Valve :(. Ideally, I'd go back to console gaming, but I can't fully enjoy games like Skyrim and the Dragon Ages on a console, because they don't allow modding and - for example; unofficial patches, or removing gender checks so I can bum Alistair as a male - are essential to my enjoyment of said games :P. Edited by yum2014yum

In response to post #24587774. #24588374, #24588409, #24588444, #24588549, #24588584, #24588659, #24588804, #24589009 are all replies on the same post.

Faralai wrote:
badiyee85 wrote: I have to agree, seeing the amount of hype, then the update brought... but you have to pay. The price is ridiculously expensive too. In my country's currency that's enough to buy a full dinner meal.
Faralai wrote: Yeah also steams says the reason they are doing this is to to encourage better mods...yeah right, they do because they get 75% of the cash.....
boulegue wrote: you can go as little as $1 thats still a full meal in some countries but steam caters to the majority not everyone
the wet&cold version on the nexus is working fine and if he wouldnt have released an update ever noone wouldve complained about it
GenBloodhorn wrote: Soon enough, Bethesda will regret this decision. just like Elder Scrolls Online paid subscription, that became Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited.
phantompally76 wrote: @bouleegue, your devil's advocate routine is getting kind of old, don't you think?

I mean, it isn't any less transparent or obvious than it was 10 hours ago.

boulegue wrote: since people keep posting the same stuff i can keep replying the same stuff im not really siding with anyone just stating facts

if that opposes your opinion good for you but please refrain from trying to silence mine
VladHN wrote: WTF wat and cold COST MORE THAN SKYRIM that week
phantompally76 wrote: Oh I'm not trying to silence you, I'm just pointing out that I see right through you, and I'm not the only one. Your intentions are far from noble.

my intentions of telling people that $5 dollars is not a set price but a suggested one? my intentions of telling modders they have the right for DMCA and copyright claims if their assets are used my intentions of linking to statements? i must be hella evil!

also i have 0 mods here or on the steam workshop and thanks to a rather demanding work i will never start modding and therefore never make money off it, also im not employed by valve i live in berlin germany for a local gaming company

im just not prone to think its the end of the world everytime something changes and i think everyone has the right to charge for their hard work or not it's their choice noone forces anyone to put their mods on the steamworkshop or us to pay for them if that becomes the case my position will change but until then the world keeps spinning

In response to post #24588634. #24588679, #24588759, #24588784, #24588854, #24588879, #24589019 are all replies on the same post.

jet4571 wrote:
badiyee85 wrote: If only SKSE, BOSS, LOOT, MO, NMM, FNIS, and all the other "instrumental" mod resources would do the same as you are.

Alas, alas, alas..
skse posted a statement that they're okay with people relying on SKSE for paid mods so far

ScrollTron1c wrote: Interesting that Valve already registered a Nexus account back in 2012 whose only purpose was to spam pro-paid-mods comments 3 years later.
boulegue wrote: i wish valve would employ me if anyone from valve is reading this please shoot me a pm
sesom wrote: Valve loves their advertisment trolls. Same happend on the Bethesda forum as they used NV as test for steam distribution.

If SKSE did there would be far fewer mods of quality on Steam Workshop for sale, my point is they will be getting paid for the mod and wont kick enough for a beer back and I am giving away hundreds of models for free I expect them to remain free.

The horrible thing about doing that is that 75% of that donation goes to Valve and Bethesda. Butter my arse, that's crazy. We'll be working to make donations more prominent here without trying to make it too in your face annoying for users still. That way, 100% of the donations will go to the user.

If you want to get really technical about it, AFAIK Bethesda and Valve get a minimum of 75% of what folks pay for mods. They only pay out in increments of $100 checks. In other words, if they've sold $398 worth of a mod, the modder gets nothing. In that case, Valve/Bethesda split 100% of the take.

If your mod did $799 in sales, you only have the $100 check you got when you topped $400 in sales. You won't see the second $100 check until it breaks $800.

Folks selling under $400 get 0%, folks selling exactly $400 make 25%, folks selling between $401 and 799 make somewhere between just over 12.5% and just under 25%.

In response to post #24588634. #24588679, #24588759, #24588784, #24588854, #24588879, #24589019, #24589204 are all replies on the same post.

jet4571 wrote:

Alas, alas, alas..

sesom wrote: Valve loves their advertisment trolls. Same happend on the Bethesda forum as they used NV as test for steam distribution.
jet4571 wrote: If SKSE did there would be far fewer mods of quality on Steam Workshop for sale, my point is they will be getting paid for the mod and wont kick enough for a beer back and I am giving away hundreds of models for free I expect them to remain free.

i invite everyone to come visit me in berlin germany and discuss the topic in real life without the curtain of anonymity if you want to think im an valve employee and that keeps you warm at night good for you :) im stating the facts and try to refrain from being overly negative about something that had very little effect so far i can't see the future but im rather excited for it be it negative or positive

edit: @jet4571 if those are your wishes modders should respect them thats what the DMCA claim on the steam workshop is (it's a last resort your wishes should be respected without that) Edited by boulegue