Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

Naturally the downloading community will be in an uproar and perhaps from there perspective it may feel justified. To me, all I see is greed. We don't complain when sites like the Nexus or Youtube advertisers make money but god forbid the creators of some of these insanely highly polished mods make money. This is an opportunity for them to make money doing what they love but naturally that conflicts with the selfish when doing what they love. 90% of the people downloading couldn't give a damn to provide an endorsement or a vote up but I bet the majority will rush to complain about having to pay for excellent quality mods.

This opens up new work opportunities for the very people the majority of you have been milking for years. Times are changing and now you can show your support by accepting these changes.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This whole thing is a massive farce. Any modder stupid enough to put their mods on the workshop paywall, should have ALL of their mods removed form Nexus. They have soldout their names and community goodwil, for a few Steam bucks. It's pathetic.

Cheeky thieves. Dont let this continue guys, go to steam workshop and add the comment below. Solidarity of the community will pull us through.

...................../´¯/)

....................,/¯../

.................../..../.................... _____.......__............._____

............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸............|...__.....\....|...|............/... ___|

........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\..........|...|....\....|....|...|...........|..../

........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...').........|...|.....|...|....|...|...........|...|

.........\.................'...../...........|...|__/...|....|...|____....|...\____

..........''...\.......... _.·..............|_____./.....\______\....\_____|

............\..............(

..............\.............\

In response to post #24589329. #24589589 is also a reply to the same post.

Maverick11 wrote:
DiaSin wrote: The modders get a maximum of 25% of the profit. How is this them getting what they deserve?

Everyone has even said they should of done this years ago.
Back in 2012-2013 when the modding scene was booming and Skyrim's modding community was huge.

A lot of them left nexus, and they could of easily made more money and if they polished it better instead of this really dumbass way of 75% of your proceeds which is Absolutely nothing I might add for the modder themselves, it probably wouldn't of been as a big deal.

In response to post #24588269. #24588304, #24588364, #24588424, #24588514, #24588519, #24588644, #24588724 are all replies on the same post.

Ventry wrote:
badiyee85 wrote: how would piracy even happen?

let's take for example "purity", or god forbid those "sange and Yasha" or "butterfly" items that were inspired from DoTA.

You pay for it, then have your money refunded, managed to get the items pirated, but sites like Nexus won't host it because of the rules set in the first place (no stealing)

So where?
sc0608023 wrote: Some underground places on the internet. The nexus is not the only place you can download mods from...
badiyee85 wrote: well, let's just say, okay, its pirated.

now you've found a place.

But how about other modders? it won't stop them from having the mindset "hey let me milk the money out of these suckers".

There has to be a better way that both sides win, but in these cases we users are at the ransom of these mods..

heck, you know what? LET'S CALL THEM RANSOMMODS! :D

we'll buy NO RANSONMODS!
boulegue wrote: what if the modder would never have the oppurtunity to create a mod because he can't afford the free time?
jonman122 wrote: It still needs to go in to the data files, so you download the mod, copy the files, refund, voila. That or torrent sites, whatever you want to do really.
badiyee85 wrote: @boulegue:

if he doesn't have a free time, he has to make his own free time.

He's not "ENTITLED" to think "let me sacrifice my time here because I know I'll be compensated in monetary terms".

This is a mindset that should not even exist.
boulegue wrote: and we're not entitled to think we deserve something for free

Indeed we're not entitled to anything. All I'm worried about is, this is likely to change the modding community once and for all.

As long as the whole paid mods thing keep being small-scale, non-influential, and the modding community as we all know it remain its current state, I'm fine by that. However, we all know this is never gonna be the case.

It will change everything. It will hurt the modding community and the modding itself. Modding, will lose its energy and wither away eventually. This is the last thing I want to see!

In response to post #24588269. #24588304, #24588364, #24588424, #24588514, #24588519, #24588644, #24588724, #24589624 are all replies on the same post.

Ventry wrote:
badiyee85 wrote: how would piracy even happen?

let's take for example "purity", or god forbid those "sange and Yasha" or "butterfly" items that were inspired from DoTA.

You pay for it, then have your money refunded, managed to get the items pirated, but sites like Nexus won't host it because of the rules set in the first place (no stealing)

So where?
sc0608023 wrote: Some underground places on the internet. The nexus is not the only place you can download mods from...
badiyee85 wrote: well, let's just say, okay, its pirated.

now you've found a place.

But how about other modders? it won't stop them from having the mindset "hey let me milk the money out of these suckers".

There has to be a better way that both sides win, but in these cases we users are at the ransom of these mods..

heck, you know what? LET'S CALL THEM RANSOMMODS! :D

we'll buy NO RANSONMODS!
boulegue wrote: what if the modder would never have the oppurtunity to create a mod because he can't afford the free time?
jonman122 wrote: It still needs to go in to the data files, so you download the mod, copy the files, refund, voila. That or torrent sites, whatever you want to do really.
badiyee85 wrote: @boulegue:

if he doesn't have a free time, he has to make his own free time.

He's not "ENTITLED" to think "let me sacrifice my time here because I know I'll be compensated in monetary terms".

This is a mindset that should not even exist.
boulegue wrote: and we're not entitled to think we deserve something for free
sc0608023 wrote: Indeed we're not entitled to anything. All I'm worried about is, this is likely to change the modding community once and for all.

As long as the whole paid mods thing keep being small-scale, non-influential, and the modding community as we all know it remain its current state, I'm fine by that. However, we all know this is never gonna be the case.

It will change everything. It will hurt the modding community and the modding itself. Modding, will lose its energy and wither away eventually. This is the last thing I want to see!

the problem is none of us knows what will happen we're all just speculating to me it seems more that it's a test run for valve and bethesda if its an option for future games but thats just speculation i don't think bethesda would ever take away free mods because it's not hurting them they're just winning off of free mods if they make a hybrid model where authors choose if they want to monetize their mods or give them out for free wouldnt that be great for almost everyone? almost..

Ugh. There's always someone looking to make money off of the hard work of others, it's sickening. I wouldn't have such a problem with this if the creator actually got 100% of the money, but once again the corporations want their cut. Half the mods I use FIX problems that shouldn't have existed anyway.

Plus this isn't going to increase mod quality, there's just going to be an influx of poorly made mods created purely because of greed, not because of a desire to improve the game. Modding was supposed to be about adding to the game you loved, and making it better.

Oh, and god forbid the stealing of mods & resources and reuploading them for profit. Now there's a financial incentive to rip off other people's work and a platform to do it on.

I've always installed my game mods manually, I only have 2 mods from the steam workshop, and that's because they aren't on the Nexus. But I think I'm going to ditch them now because this move sickens me.

It reminds me vaguely of the fiasco with paid mods for the previous Sims games, but that was always supposedly against EA's EULA. The fact Bethesda have set this up really disheartens me. Damn Bethesda, what are you doing?

*sigh* Money certainly makes the world go around.