Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24590694.

SjoertJansen wrote:

Thank you. The fact that you wouldnt charge for money does not mean that you dont deserve a recompensation. Its just that if we let micro transactions enter single player games like Skyrim, then it all goes downhill from here. Thank you and every single mod author that is not going to charge for them.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24589844. #24590684, #24590844, #24590894 are all replies on the same post.

xjzantha wrote:
dking384 wrote: They have to recoup the money they lost for ESO lol :-P
Arendella wrote: Lol I forgot that POS Game went free to play because everyone realized it sucks. I'm fine playing FF14
vinak wrote: I guess they shouldn't have canceled that Skyrim DLC after all...

What cancelled DLC?

This is a little too much isn't it asking players to fork out cash just to buy the mods? Mods are modified content and I believe it's still up to the creator of the mods to decide how their mods should be handled. Even if they charge for mods at Steam/Valve, the authors still get paid lesser than what's being received by Valve & Bethesda. so in the end it's up to the creator of the mods to decide

In response to post #24561869. #24562264, #24562649 are all replies on the same post.

PyroDonkey wrote:
Dark0ne wrote: Donation options are already available to mod authors on the site. Now that Bethesda has signalled their openness to paid modding and mod authors making money from their work we'll be implementing a few new things to make the donation options a bit more prominent.
PyroDonkey wrote: That's good. I haven't noticed the donation button until you mentioned it. I think a donation option is much better than the 25% creators will get from the Valve option.

Problem with that Dark0ne is that Bethesda is happy as long as they're getting a cut. So you could very well find them throwing a C&D or whatever at the site if the system here is getting a little too popular (unless they're getting a cut as well.)

In response to post #24590949. #24591089 is also a reply to the same post.

raupao wrote:
chickensheep wrote: I think with regards to testing and quality, I think mod reviews from people like Brodual and Gopher are going to become much more important. I always head over to YouTube to watch a few reviews on a game before spending any money on it, and I can imagine many people will want to do the same regarding paid mods.

Bordual only playtests mods on his set up, and in an amateurish way. This in NO way qualifies as Quality Control.

In response to post #24590694. #24591109 is also a reply to the same post.

SjoertJansen wrote:
raupao wrote: Thank you. The fact that you wouldnt charge for money does not mean that you dont deserve a recompensation. Its just that if we let micro transactions enter single player games like Skyrim, then it all goes downhill from here. Thank you and every single mod author that is not going to charge for them.

You are welcome,

I appreciate you believe I deserve re-compensation. I like the donate buttons on mods, but I personally disagree, which is why I have no donate button. If I'd get donations, it would completely change the way I feel about my mod and how I treat it. It goes from hobby and fun to enhance the experience of others, to responsibility and entitlement. It would change in an actual product. I've been modding Elder scrolls games for ages (Morrowind). Although I only ever made 1 mod public, I would feel ashamed of myself if I'd charge for it or even accept donations.

my bad one of the more..umm...heavily discussed mod that questioned if the money is being spilt between the very many other mods had the comments closed

OOPS...I edited out my original comment..

TL:DR...the backlash is interesting to see especially on mods that are here and ones that use other assests

Edited by TheSabi

Before we all get carried away, ask yourself three questions:

1. What sort of mod is the typical Steam addict likely to buy: A mod that make the game more challenging or more complex? I don't think so.

2. How many modders are willing to put up with "feedback" from the typical Steam poster? Because once said poster has plunked down his or her hard-earned allowance money they have the right to complain. And they will, loudly, whether their complaints are justified or not.

3. Is this driven by greed, or by desperation? Valve built Steam to sell games to PC users. They weathered the console tsunami. But they sure didn't anticipate the shift away from PCs to phones, tablets, watches, and whatever Apple thinks of next. Nor did they anticipate the impact that shift would have on pricing, and the race to the bottom that has followed. You can practically smell the fear when you visit Steam these days.

As for Bethesda, well, they'll soon be circling the drain with everybody else who thought they could duplicate WoW's business model.