Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24562744. #24562994, #24563154, #24563214, #24563259, #24563324, #24563384, #24563414, #24563474 are all replies on the same post.

galger2013 wrote:
aceventura45 wrote: You haven't seen the recent posts made on the Wet and Cold mod here, at nexus. Everyone is ripping on isoku. There are a lot of people calling him/her nasty things. I'm sorry, internet assholes are everywhere, nexus is sadly no exception.
FiendishGhoul wrote: Uh, no, I'll stand up for the Nexus' users here (or maybe the moderators, not sure), because there's a big difference between saying that you've uninstalled or unendorsed or whatever, versus some of the really extremely virulent language I was reading over on Steam.
TenderHooligan wrote: @aceventura

Yeah. I get people being mad, but I saw those comments on W&C and felt disgusted. If those are the sort of entitled and immature people most mod authors have to deal with all the time, then I can understand why they'd want some $ for it.

@FiendishGhoul...I've seen some of the virulent language here on Nexus as well. Certainly not as bad as on Steam, but it's there. Expect to see a lot of ban reports coming in today.
Lordkabal26 wrote: I'm not gonna rip on him but I don't agree with his decision to lock it behind a paywall. He's not gonna have as many people accessing it if he released it for free here as well. And with less people using it there will be more bugs going undetected.

I for one won't be buying his mods, or ANY mods on the workshop if there isn't a corresponding release here on the Nexus as I don't use workshop mods, I download from here in most cases as I make use of the Nexus categories in Mod Organizer to keep my mods organized
NoDebate wrote: Folks are pissed. The ability to spew what you like is very easy on the internet. That said, the execution may be off base but, the message is clear.
SvarogNL wrote: Well.. Wet and Cold uses SKSE assets en have no persmission to be Sold.

It's a major flaw in the system.
About68cows wrote: Yeah the people who use the workshop clearly don't want to actually do something about it.
Darkieus wrote: The only thing I did on the W&C is say I'm unendorsing and uninstalling. I don't support their behavior, especially when they have tidbits of other people's work inside their own.

@ Darkieus: And your point is EXACTLY the legal "fly in the ointment." This is going to be interesting. Beth will argue that they do not have to pay for the other tidbits because they weren't copyrighted and they were offered in the public domain. Might get messy. I hope Dark0ne has a copyright or two in place.

In response to post #24563524. #24563719 is also a reply to the same post.

arahat wrote:
itsbuffy wrote: oh yes, fallout 4 modding is gonna be a shitfest.

Also, I suspect DRM will be built in at the plugin level, as opposed to previous games where the DRM was only on the Exes. Even time you load Fallout 4, the game will phone home to make sure you are authorized to use all of the content, to prevent people pir8ing the inevitable plethora of payware Steam Workshop DLCs.

Well, Valve did it for one thing: to get a cut out of this. What do they provide? Nothing. Mods won't be regulated, they just get a big cut for doing nothing.

And with possible mod conflicts, bugs and stuff, I predict that paid mod makers are in for a large headache. If people pay for their products, imagine angry customers when something doesn't work. Congratulations, they've become vendors, not artists, with full responsibility.

In response to post #24562404. #24562524, #24562599, #24562684, #24562874, #24563024, #24563444, #24563909, #24564214 are all replies on the same post.

ramccoid wrote:
AmraHobbes wrote: Thank you. Your mods are some of the best.
HrvojeRaznjevic wrote: ramccoid, I use almost all of your mods. Keep up the good work mate
Elianora wrote: Same here.
FiendishGhoul wrote: Kudos to both of you, Elianora & Ramccoid!
NoDebate wrote: Thank you (to you both - and anyone else who continues modding for the sake of modding).
EWM333 wrote: Thanks ramccoid and Elianora for all the hard work you have both done with your mods it does go very appreciated
darkroses wrote: thanks you 3 :)
AvengerJikir wrote: Inb4 £29.99 Dust; with extra shininess for only 10p more!

In all seriousness; Thank you. Your mods are amazing; improving the textures some people would consider small but which actually have a massive impact on Skyrim's visuals as they are so frequent in the world.

You rock sir! :) Edited by windu190

This is sad. Not only modders will receive only 25% but we'll probably start to see stupid mods selling just for easy money.. Not to mention mods that usually show problems later in the game and very old mods that doesn't even receives support anymore.

Call me a pessimist but this is what I see.

I can only thank all modders here that will remain giving out their work for free. Thank you.

Stupid idea, Bethesda/Valve.

In response to post #24564004.

aceventura45 wrote:

Look to the future. Fallout 4 will more than likely be announced in June with a release date later this year or early next year. Beth and Valve have now set a precedent. Expect that to be expanded on with future Bethesda released.

a sad day for the mod community...

still i wonder like many, how will this be legal for other Authors to just add a price tag to their mods that using ENB, SKSE or SKYUI requirements like say... uhhhh the most flamed topic right now Wet and Cold. ( honest question, a bit of anger here and there but honest )