Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24562744. #24562994, #24563154, #24563214, #24563259 are all replies on the same post.

galger2013 wrote:
aceventura45 wrote: You haven't seen the recent posts made on the Wet and Cold mod here, at nexus. Everyone is ripping on isoku. There are a lot of people calling him/her nasty things. I'm sorry, internet assholes are everywhere, nexus is sadly no exception.
FiendishGhoul wrote: Uh, no, I'll stand up for the Nexus' users here (or maybe the moderators, not sure), because there's a big difference between saying that you've uninstalled or unendorsed or whatever, versus some of the really extremely virulent language I was reading over on Steam.
TenderHooligan wrote: Yeah. I get people mad, but I saw those comments on W&C and felt disgusted. If those are the sort of entitled and immature people most mod authors have to deal with all the time, then I can understand why they'd want some $ for it.
Lordkabal26 wrote: I'm not gonna rip on him but I don't agree with his decision to lock it behind a paywall. He's not gonna have as many people accessing it if he released it for free here as well. And with less people using it there will be more bugs going undetected.

I for one won't be buying his mods, or ANY mods on the workshop if there isn't a corresponding release here on the Nexus as I don't use workshop mods, I download from here in most cases as I make use of the Nexus categories in Mod Organizer to keep my mods organized

Folks are pissed. The ability to spew what you like is very easy on the internet. That said, the execution may be off base but, the message is clear.

I don't think this is a good thing and I believe it was more of valves decision than Bethesda. I do understand charging for mods that are unbelievably huge, with all new weapons, armor, locations, map, and characters that are fully voice acted. But I do think they should have a choice! That is ridiculous! Paying money to modify files that you legally own???? No that is not okay.

In response to post #24562744. #24562994, #24563154, #24563214, #24563259, #24563324 are all replies on the same post.

galger2013 wrote:
aceventura45 wrote: You haven't seen the recent posts made on the Wet and Cold mod here, at nexus. Everyone is ripping on isoku. There are a lot of people calling him/her nasty things. I'm sorry, internet assholes are everywhere, nexus is sadly no exception.
FiendishGhoul wrote: Uh, no, I'll stand up for the Nexus' users here (or maybe the moderators, not sure), because there's a big difference between saying that you've uninstalled or unendorsed or whatever, versus some of the really extremely virulent language I was reading over on Steam.
TenderHooligan wrote: @aceventura

Yeah. I get people being mad, but I saw those comments on W&C and felt disgusted. If those are the sort of entitled and immature people most mod authors have to deal with all the time, then I can understand why they'd want some $ for it.

@FiendishGhoul...I've seen some of the virulent language here on Nexus as well. Certainly not as bad as on Steam, but it's there. Expect to see a lot of ban reports coming in today.
Lordkabal26 wrote: I'm not gonna rip on him but I don't agree with his decision to lock it behind a paywall. He's not gonna have as many people accessing it if he released it for free here as well. And with less people using it there will be more bugs going undetected.

I for one won't be buying his mods, or ANY mods on the workshop if there isn't a corresponding release here on the Nexus as I don't use workshop mods, I download from here in most cases as I make use of the Nexus categories in Mod Organizer to keep my mods organized
NoDebate wrote: Folks are pissed. The ability to spew what you like is very easy on the internet. That said, the execution may be off base but, the message is clear.

Well.. Wet and Cold uses SKSE assets en have no persmission to be Sold.

It's a major flaw in the system.

In response to post #24562094. #24562579, #24562824, #24562974 are all replies on the same post.

JetBoom21 wrote:
iWilliBlecha wrote: I say, if someone spents a lot of time making a good mod, then he should have the right to ask for something in return! Not everyone has a lot of money and this could help some modders to make a living.
Also, I trust the community to make this work out!
igorlipinski wrote: I wouldn't even mind paying for mods if the modders got the money for themselves and the mods add something relevant to the game... But 1€ for a mod that adds 1 sword to the game? Also, the fact that most of the money will likely go to Valve is ridiculous and shows that the move has nothing to do with supporting modders and instead aims to stuff GabeN's wallet even more... Valve is proving once again that they have no idea how to interact with the community...
FiendishGhoul wrote: Yeah, at least one of the comments I read over on Steam was beyond despicable and that's ridiculous.

Feeling disenfranchised is one thing, but escalating to hideous threatening language is completely uncalled for.

I'm glad the community here is showing, for now, that we're above such things.

FiendishGhoul, it is sad indeed that people bash modders for taking their mods out of Nexus (although I still think it's not exactly nice from the mod authors to pull the mods just like that, especially since there's quite a lot of people that can't afford paying for 200 mods, especially with prices for most being 1€+) but I do think the Valve deserve all the s#*! they are getting, since it's not the first time where they went against the community, it's enough to mention all the "updates" and "fixes" to CS:GO.. Also, if the shares are like you mentioned in OP (and I doubt they'd settle for less than 50% of the money), it's despicable that they try to cover up their greed with this talk of supporting the modders... If they wanted to support modders, they would only charge a small fee for the sake of breaking even for hosting the mods on their servers and administrative stuff...

I feel like skyrim is way too old to be asking to pay for mods. Maybe if it was 2012 that would've worked to an extent, but I feel like now it's just gonna kill skyrim.

I've played skyrim for 1800hours total and there's simply no way I would pay for my mods unless the mod is a DLC sized mods with new armor/weapon/locations/stories/npc/voice acted etc.

There's no way I would pay each mod individually to get a decent IU, decents sounds, fixes, overhauls, retextures, armors/weapon sets, interesting followers etc for a 4 years old games on which ive 1800 hours on. There's also no way I would be playing skyrim without these because skyrim sucks without mods.

I would end up uninstalling skyrim and I dunno... play ESO and act like it's immersive and interesting maybe?

In response to post #24562744. #24562994, #24563154, #24563214, #24563259, #24563324, #24563384 are all replies on the same post.

galger2013 wrote:
TenderHooligan wrote: @aceventura

Yeah. I get people being mad, but I saw those comments on W&C and felt disgusted. If those are the sort of entitled and immature people most mod authors have to deal with all the time, then I can understand why they'd want some $ for it.

@FiendishGhoul...I've seen some of the virulent language here on Nexus as well. Certainly not as bad as on Steam, but it's there. Expect to see a lot of ban reports coming in today.

NoDebate wrote: Folks are pissed. The ability to spew what you like is very easy on the internet. That said, the execution may be off base but, the message is clear.
SvarogNL wrote: Well.. Wet and Cold uses SKSE assets en have no persmission to be Sold.

It's a major flaw in the system.

Yeah the people who use the workshop clearly don't want to actually do something about it.