Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24586549.

Schmornoff wrote:

I agree that there are a-lot of mod authors who see it as a hobby or pastime and would not charge for their mods ever. I believe that there are people who put enough time and effort into their creations to warrant a payment if they want. There will always be lots of good mod authors willing to provide high quality free mods, but I don't think its inherently wrong to ask for payment for your work.

I think the REAL issue here is the fact that it is now in Valve and Bethesda's interest to discourage free mod sites like the Nexus. If there are awesome mods available on the Nexus for free then that will be direct competition for their income from the steam workshop. Why pay for a mod when there may be a similar one for free here?

I have a horrible feeling that the next game (Fallout or TES) will have exclusive Steam Workshop modding and will not be compatible with mods installed by 3rd party software (NMM or MO for example). If that turns out to be the case then we can expect a good number of the "essential" best mods to be behind a pay-wall.

Maybe I'm catastrophizing but I see this as a step towards a more closed and suspicious modding community where people will feel reluctant to share work or give permission for their work to be altered by patches and merged mods because of the question of payment.

It may be that we've had it too good for too long and that any type of wildly successful creative scene like this is a time bomb waiting for someone to monetize it. That is the nature of capitalism after all; see what is popular and figure out how to make money from it.

I hope I am wrong.

In response to post #24586549. #24586889 is also a reply to the same post.

Schmornoff wrote:
Chris1986 wrote: I agree that there are a-lot of mod authors who see it as a hobby or pastime and would not charge for their mods ever. I believe that there are people who put enough time and effort into their creations to warrant a payment if they want. There will always be lots of good mod authors willing to provide high quality free mods, but I don't think its inherently wrong to ask for payment for your work.

I think the REAL issue here is the fact that it is now in Valve and Bethesda's interest to discourage free mod sites like the Nexus. If there are awesome mods available on the Nexus for free then that will be direct competition for their income from the steam workshop. Why pay for a mod when there may be a similar one for free here?

I have a horrible feeling that the next game (Fallout or TES) will have exclusive Steam Workshop modding and will not be compatible with mods installed by 3rd party software (NMM or MO for example). If that turns out to be the case then we can expect a good number of the "essential" best mods to be behind a pay-wall.

Maybe I'm catastrophizing but I see this as a step towards a more closed and suspicious modding community where people will feel reluctant to share work or give permission for their work to be altered by patches and merged mods because of the question of payment.

It may be that we've had it too good for too long and that any type of wildly successful creative scene like this is a time bomb waiting for someone to monetize it. That is the nature of capitalism after all; see what is popular and figure out how to make money from it.

I hope I am wrong.

If your forecast should turn out true I can promise you this much "we" the Modders wont tollerate practices like that. I hope I can speak for everyone on this case :)
I wouldnt Mod for a game if it forces you to pay for my stuff and works with methods working against free comunitys.
This would mean the next FallOut or Tes will have basicly no mods :D or no mods worth buying and this again will conclue in the FallOut or Tes after that beeing free again. So dont worry ;)

Edit: and would mean Skyrim will probabily become one of the most modded games ever :D cause we will all just wait for the next free version to come out and continue working on skyrim. Skyrim is a great skeleton and their are grafic mods out there making it to look better then any game avalible :D Edited by Schmornoff

In response to post #24586694. #24586764 is also a reply to the same post.

akkalat85 wrote:
phantompally76 wrote: There is also a Steam group organizing a formal protest.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/BoycottSteamWorkshop

Thank you for posting the link to the petition. It's good to have a united place for everyone to communicate their disapproval. Hopefully, Valve will listen to such a large voice coming from the community

In response to post #24586549. #24586889, #24586954 are all replies on the same post.

Schmornoff wrote:
Chris1986 wrote: I agree that there are a-lot of mod authors who see it as a hobby or pastime and would not charge for their mods ever. I believe that there are people who put enough time and effort into their creations to warrant a payment if they want. There will always be lots of good mod authors willing to provide high quality free mods, but I don't think its inherently wrong to ask for payment for your work.

I hope I am wrong.
Schmornoff wrote: If your forecast should turn out true I can promise you this much "we" the Modders wont tollerate practices like that. I hope I can speak for everyone on this case :)
I wouldnt Mod for a game if it forces you to pay for my stuff and works with methods working against free comunitys.
This would mean the next FallOut or Tes will have basicly no mods :D or no mods worth buying and this again will conclue in the FallOut or Tes after that beeing free again. So dont worry ;)

Edit: and would mean Skyrim will probabily become one of the most modded games ever :D cause we will all just wait for the next free version to come out and continue working on skyrim. Skyrim is a great skeleton and their are grafic mods out there making it to look better then any game avalible :D

maybe nothing will change for free modders like yourself but in addition to you guys we get professional studios or new young talent that do modding as a career

In response to post #24586459. #24586589 is also a reply to the same post.

OH72 wrote:
boulegue wrote: in the EU you have the freedom to do your own contracts... accepting the terms steam has written by buying stuff is accepting them period... youre as well protected as you choose to no more no less

Steams Terms of Use are not overwriting EU or national law.

In response to post #24586459. #24586589, #24587144 are all replies on the same post.

OH72 wrote:
boulegue wrote: in the EU you have the freedom to do your own contracts... accepting the terms steam has written by buying stuff is accepting them period... youre as well protected as you choose to no more no less
fipse wrote: Steams Terms of Use are not overwriting EU or national law.

the national law for example in germany is that youre free to make your own contracts the terms dont overwrite the laws they work together the laws give you a framework to work in

In response to post #24586549. #24586889, #24586954, #24587054 are all replies on the same post.

Schmornoff wrote:

I hope I am wrong.
Schmornoff wrote: If your forecast should turn out true I can promise you this much "we" the Modders wont tollerate practices like that. I hope I can speak for everyone on this case :)

Edit: and would mean Skyrim will probabily become one of the most modded games ever :D cause we will all just wait for the next free version to come out and continue working on skyrim. Skyrim is a great skeleton and their are grafic mods out there making it to look better then any game avalible :D
boulegue wrote: maybe nothing will change for free modders like yourself but in addition to you guys we get professional studios or new young talent that do modding as a career

That gives me a little hope. As I said that is my worst case scenario and I really hope that it does not come to that. As a player who regularly has 50+ mods active I would not be able to maintain that if even 1/4 of them were paid for I don't earn that much and I chop and change mods very often depending on my mood and the play-through I'm doing.

Even if only 10% of the mods I used were paid, I don't think I could afford it :(