Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24594124.

sHizZ0z wrote:

If you really want to hurt Valve your decission should be... stop using Valve. No more purchases in Valve, buy the games from other game supliers, buy the physical game... if it's exclusive of Steam/Valve then don't buy it. This new "pay for mods" is an extra income for them, a new market, a big one if the modding community go to them, but the way to hurt them is to stop using Steam. Play the games you already bought but in regards of the new ones, buy them anywhere else.

Anyway, you and/or me alone won't matter, but the whole modding community doing so, then yes... things would matter.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just look the number of crap mods being upload to the paid workshop now, with prices that you can buy a good game on sale. People doing anything for money.

But I'm liking some of the uploads trying to ridicularize this new system.

Edited by fgambler

In response to post #24594124. #24595149 is also a reply to the same post.

sHizZ0z wrote:
Streptococo wrote: If you really want to hurt Valve your decission should be... stop using Valve. No more purchases in Valve, buy the games from other game supliers, buy the physical game... if it's exclusive of Steam/Valve then don't buy it. This new "pay for mods" is an extra income for them, a new market, a big one if the modding community go to them, but the way to hurt them is to stop using Steam. Play the games you already bought but in regards of the new ones, buy them anywhere else.

Anyway, you and/or me alone won't matter, but the whole modding community doing so, then yes... things would matter.

The Golden Potato is satire. Edited by freedom613

I just noticed that there is a new setting for files under the distribution permissions for using assets, a check-box asking if you choose to restrict mod assets from being using in mods being sold for Steam workshop and the like.

Was that there before, or added just now?

In this recent outcry to support modders whose work you enjoy id like to appeal to other modders like myself to pay it forward and if you get support from users, consider supporting any modder who created resources that you utilize. Some do not release their content as an "end user" package and just as a tool box for us to make our stuff look that much more awesome. I intend to do so a a hope fellow modders will as well

In response to post #24593024. #24593174, #24593264, #24593554, #24593789, #24593874, #24594259, #24594264, #24595134 are all replies on the same post.

ScrollTron1c wrote:
WightMage wrote: Sadly true.
mcguffin wrote: Well, money is actually a real way to show some appreciations. It's not the only one, but still.
I dont think a lot a modders want money as a business model, but being able to buy new games, extensions (to mod them also) just by donation, is kind of cool, actually.
Georgiegril wrote: I believe people who mod are artists who are creating in a particular medium. Donating to modders is like paying a street musician--sure, you could get it for free, but if it is beautiful and/or improved your day, then the money will help encourage them to keep doing it and adds to the benefit of yourself and the community.

ScrollTron1c wrote: @ Georgiegril
Fair point about the street artist comparison.

But i don't listen to 200 of them at the same time. And wouldn't it be unfair to donate 200$ to one of them, 20$ to another, and 0$ to the rest of them?

Not to mention that i have thousands of mods downloaded in my whole Skyrim career. Some of them only took the author 5 minutes to make, while others spent definitely more time than any single Bethesda developer on their game.

This is still supposed to be an entirely creative hobby, free of monetary profit and greed (at least on the user and modder end).

PS and i apologize for the bad formatting above, i actually wrote it as a proper <list> in the forum which is extremely laggy today for some reason.
mcguffin wrote: "This is still supposed to be an entirely creative hobby, free of monetary profit and greed (at least on the user and modder end)."

mmh, that sounds like dogma.
everybody is actually not supposed to act like *you* want.
Kandahar wrote: Well said. Recieving income by selling mod will not give modders more time for their family, it will not expend their life time. It will not help them to improve mod at once magically. It is only a need of money. (Of course some modders deserve some money/donation for their work, like Falskaar, but it's up to player if he will do this)
I agree with matter you mentioned about that players already paid for this mod. But not by real money. Thanks to constant players support they could improve thier mods. I know how time consuming is to test game then report bugs to deleloper, because I'm QA tester of game called Primal Carnage: Extinction.
SjoertJansen wrote: @mcguffin

Donation buttons exist already. Nothing wrong with that, fully agreed. Money could be a way of showing appreciation. I personally don't want it though, I don't have a donate button for that very reason. Money has no appreciative value for me personally.

The street musician comparison is also nice. This is different though, now we pay upfront to listen to the street musician. And one can ask the question, why was this mod made? I'd rather pay people out of appreciation than being forced to do so. I also rather pay those that created the mod out of their creative mind, or other emotional, fun reasons, than someone who made the mod for pocket reasons. Can you answer that question? And since when do I pay the instrument makers for the music the musician makes? Hasn't the musician paid them off already? Didn't they already pay to use the creation kit?

I know you can get your money back, but what does that say? You pay the musician upfront, and then ask back the money? Does that mean you don't enjoy the music, do not appreciate their creative talents or can't afford the money?

This kind of stuff is walking on a rope, I wouldn't risk it keeps the balance right. It's a very thin line...
theblueshark wrote: We use to make mods to improve games. we share them to boast off skills and creative thinking. This used to be a fun hobby when did it start to be a stressful job that you need to be paid. Donations is ok though.

While I am currently unable to do so, I have sent money, on more than one occasion, to the Nexus to help them continue the work that they are doing. I am appalled by the lack of understanding shown by some of these posts.

How has the effort you spent installing a mod benefited the creator of that mod? Sure you may have made helpful suggestions or told them their mod was not compatible with mod X. But does that little bit of effort compare to the effort made by the mod creator? Not really.

And while you are financially stable and able to donate to all those victims of whatever, including homeless beggars, there are people who aren't as financially stable for one reason or another. Take myself as an example, I am disabled and unable to drive and as a result I spend way too much time sitting in front of a computer playing games. I used to mod but i gave it up when I started trying to figure out a way to make money from home, which never quite panned out, to supplement my pitiful disability income.

In addition to other people like me there are probably a lot of "Stay-At-Home" parents who supplement their income working from home who could dedicate more time to modding if they had an income from it.

So let's be really honest, there are more reasons this can help the community than there are those that this hurts the community. Nobody is forcing you to use the mods being sold by Steam. If just one mod creator puts a quality mod on there that helps them support their family in some way then it has been a good thing. Whether you support it or not isn't going to change the fact that it now exists. You can complain or you can look at the bright side of it. Someone may be helped out of a bad situation by this.