Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24600134. #24600279, #24600504, #24600574, #24601074, #24601659, #24601729, #24601919, #24608969, #24609069 are all replies on the same post.

NoDebate wrote:
Salzber wrote: Yup The whole site is down for me.
freedom613 wrote: Maybe Valve shut it down due to the bad press? If so: Drinks are on me!
NoDebate wrote: I will hold you to that. Meet me in Seattle? We can go down to Bellevue after and clear up this mess. :)
raupao wrote: I smell a DDOS attack. Or something like that.
Ianc1 wrote: If it was a ddos attack then the whole site would be down, and not give an error
NoDebate wrote: Yeah, I concur Ianc1. This is specific to the Skyrim Workshop. I don't want to be wildly speculative but, perhaps Valve is taking a moment to reassess?
freedom613 wrote: @No Debate
If Valve removes this Steam Unofficial DLC nonsense, I will walk From Georgia to Seattle to buy you that drink!
XbelowmeX wrote: @freedom613:

Screenshots or it never happened :P
freedom613 wrote: @Below
You want me to send screenshots of my trip to Seattle? Well I would rather take pictures, using a webcam then screenshoting that seems inefficient :P

Skyrim Workshop back online. Take it as you will.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24608634.

iiiimessiahiiii wrote:

I simply do not see it that way, here's a quick example:

Nock to Tip, the last mod I released, before taking a break from modding.
was a well received project. I spent over a month developing it, and countless
more hours refining it. It is far from perfect, and still has a couple bugs/balance issues.
But quite frankly I got tired of tweaking it over and over. Now when I return to actively
modding Skyrim, I will work more on these issues. But I do not feel obligated to do so, until I'm good and ready, If I had a more vested interest in the project, it would've been a better mod. The same goes for anybody doing anything, if an author has a vested interest in a project, (such as the possibility for compensation ) it will improve the quality of a project.

But again this is speculation.

LIP SYNC BUG from 1.9 has never been fixed after two years!!!!

It's really ridiculous that Bethesda still promotes this game after introducing a immersion-breaking bug between 1.8 and 1.9, and then NEVER fixing it.

It's so sad. WARNING Do not buy if this matters to you. There is no way to use 1.8 on Steam.

More info here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1502140-regarding-the-lip-sync-bug-6/page-3

Among other things I develop games (or bits of them), which is a skill I sell. And for pure enjoyment also I mod/make resources for Bethesda games, and as far as I'm concerned anything I upload, (not here, (for minor reasons), and under different names), is "released into the wild". Do what you will - but don't sell it. Hitherto I haven't bothered to police that last part, but......

The idea of financing some greedy money-grubber at $team or elsewhere with my output disgusts me. If I find that anyone stole my work and then tried to sell it on that britshit (nothing personal nexus) platform then I would seriously consider using some of my resources to put them out of business.

The main point has to be the corruption of the modding community - already terrible with the autistic "It's my precious you can't have it" - on the Nexus might well spell the end of, if not a great thing, a pretty good thing. If it becomes the norm to offer your artistic output to $team for a few (a miniscule percentage) shekels then outputs for real talent will die, and that includes [bold]here[/bold].

I personally like the Nexus and defend it against its many detractors. The modders here have mostly persisted where other sites have died the death, and Scanti still posts here which has got to be worth the fight :)

OK I don't post much, and never put my mods here, but I come here several times a week, and appreciate it. That's why I despise this cynical attempt by Valve to suck the life out of the competition.

Cheers.

In response to post #24594599. #24595064, #24597874, #24598129, #24598509, #24600934, #24601064, #24604279, #24605234, #24605519, #24605574, #24605679, #24606499, #24607304, #24607644 are all replies on the same post.

Ehwhat2008 wrote:
SkeletonShen wrote: I agree.
Calu93 wrote: Me too
Quloide wrote: Aye
Alienfriend wrote: I agree too
onkenoke wrote: and my axe!

oh wait wrong speech sorry
Milleuros wrote: Agree.

Nexus is proving that they have the ethics of modding in their heart and that they have immense respect for the authors. They deserve that bit of money.
darksunshaman wrote: Also agree, just disabled adblocker on nexus
micnorian14 wrote: Been there, done that.
DohmeShot wrote: The solidarity is unreal. Disabled.

Except if an audio ad is coming up, I hate that intrusive garbage.
waffle652 wrote: I stopped and then a repeating audio ad kept deafening me and overshadowing my music while I was reading this article.

Now i'm using adblock again.

I don't care what somebody or something does, I don't tolerate audio ads. Especially ones that auto-play every 30 seconds and can't be turned off.
IMNdi wrote: I have also seen the light. This site has better presentation, a better installer for mods, way better mod management, and, unlike the tripe I expect the workshop to become, this has actual feedback going on.

Also, if I knew mods would be monetized, I would not have bough Skyrim. With no mods, the darned thing is not worth the money. And now that I bought it, rules change.

It's a good thing this site exists. And for a couple bucks or ads. Seriously. You don't want to know how much I spent on my phone -er- software. I wouldn't even blink at 3 dollars for an app, yet it took this long to support the nexus.

I'm weird.

Maybe you need an app?
XxSHREKSCOPExX wrote: ADBLOCK = OFF M8
digitaltrucker wrote: I contributed to the site a while ago, so no adds for me. When my finances improve just a tad more, I fully intend to pay a subscription for the foreseeable future. I highly doubt Black Tree Gaming is making a heap of money from this, and it's irrelevant anyway. Support the ones who support you.
Aquilathestne wrote: Adblock is off. Though i would like to say the repeating audio gets annoying. Though I will keep it off on principle.

Disable ADBlock and Adobe Flash Player plugin = no more intrusive advertisements. ;)

In response to post #24608634.

iiiimessiahiiii wrote:

I simply do not see it that way, here's a quick example:

Nock to Tip, the last mod I released, before taking a break from modding.

was a well received project. I spent over a month developing it, and countless

more hours refining it. It is far from perfect, and still has a couple bugs/balance issues.

But quite frankly I got tired of tweaking it over and over. Now when I return to actively

modding Skyrim, I will work more on these issues. But I do not feel obligated to do so, until I'm good and ready, If I had a more vested interest in the project, it would've been a better mod. The same goes for anybody doing anything, if an author has a vested interest in a project, (such as the possibility for compensation ) it will improve the quality of a project.

But again this is speculation.

You are absolutely right. Compensation will undoubtedly lead to better mod quality. However the price is steep. Their will be a legitamate market with finite resources. And im sure elite modders with incredible skill will corner the market shoving aside 90% of the other modders leaving their mods dead unused and unwanted. Competition will arise even with such tiny meager sums of money. Only the to 1% of mods will earn even remotely close to minimum wage. This will likely lead to better mods sure. It will also kill the future of modding. And turn the future of mod based sandbox games into microtransactions. I do sympathize with modders. Doing what you love is great but making money off it is bliss. However this is not possible for a healthy sustainable friendly open source modding community. Once you turn amateurs into professionals things turn bad real quick. There are counter arguments of course like "you dont have to pay for them!", and "You arent entitled to free stuff that other people work hard on!" while ethically id have to agree the price is suicide. And if this model ever somehow magically works outside of ip theft, piracy, scams, and lack of quality assurance all it will manage to do is put the final nail in the coffin for gaming. Sorry for sounding like such a depressing retard.

EDIT: also i would like to add that they will likely become drm based and free communities will be locked out and die. Well i guess that gets rid of piracy so who knows that could be good or bad.

Edited by iiiimessiahiiii

In response to post #24594599. #24595064, #24597874, #24598129, #24598509, #24600934, #24601064, #24604279, #24605234, #24605519, #24605574, #24605679, #24606499, #24607304, #24607644, #24609789 are all replies on the same post.

Ehwhat2008 wrote:
SkeletonShen wrote: I agree.
Calu93 wrote: Me too
Quloide wrote: Aye
Alienfriend wrote: I agree too
onkenoke wrote: and my axe!

oh wait wrong speech sorry
Milleuros wrote: Agree.

Nexus is proving that they have the ethics of modding in their heart and that they have immense respect for the authors. They deserve that bit of money.
darksunshaman wrote: Also agree, just disabled adblocker on nexus
micnorian14 wrote: Been there, done that.
DohmeShot wrote: The solidarity is unreal. Disabled.

Except if an audio ad is coming up, I hate that intrusive garbage.
waffle652 wrote: I stopped and then a repeating audio ad kept deafening me and overshadowing my music while I was reading this article.

Now i'm using adblock again.

I don't care what somebody or something does, I don't tolerate audio ads. Especially ones that auto-play every 30 seconds and can't be turned off.
IMNdi wrote: I have also seen the light. This site has better presentation, a better installer for mods, way better mod management, and, unlike the tripe I expect the workshop to become, this has actual feedback going on.

Also, if I knew mods would be monetized, I would not have bough Skyrim. With no mods, the darned thing is not worth the money. And now that I bought it, rules change.

It's a good thing this site exists. And for a couple bucks or ads. Seriously. You don't want to know how much I spent on my phone -er- software. I wouldn't even blink at 3 dollars for an app, yet it took this long to support the nexus.

I'm weird.

Maybe you need an app?
XxSHREKSCOPExX wrote: ADBLOCK = OFF M8
digitaltrucker wrote: I contributed to the site a while ago, so no adds for me. When my finances improve just a tad more, I fully intend to pay a subscription for the foreseeable future. I highly doubt Black Tree Gaming is making a heap of money from this, and it's irrelevant anyway. Support the ones who support you.
Aquilathestne wrote: Adblock is off. Though i would like to say the repeating audio gets annoying. Though I will keep it off on principle.
thetag wrote: Disable ADBlock and Adobe Flash Player plugin = no more intrusive advertisements. ;)

stopped using add block since i downloaded first mod...

In response to post #24608569. #24608834 is also a reply to the same post.

Meeporized wrote:
freedom613 wrote: This is the reason I am against unofficial DLC (let us not disgrace the 20+ year mod scene by calling these mods. While they hold great quality, mods have been free modification to the game while DLC has been paid modification to the game). It has set a precedent, and that precedent will be built on and built on until the scene we love has died.

What's to stop them from just making a complete ass game with no voice acting and us forcing us to pay for the voice acting pack dlc and such?

Oh better yet, lets buy landscapes for dlc why not that? clearly we dont need the enviroment, trees, streams, and even towns!

After thinking about it seem more, 25% not a good deal even if it's 30-50% like I said before, no good. I can see 90% cut for mods authors but even then it's just don't set right me. I'm going save little some money donate, yeah thats seem right me.