Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24608634. #24609314 is also a reply to the same post.

iiiimessiahiiii wrote:
foster xbl wrote: I simply do not see it that way, here's a quick example:

Nock to Tip, the last mod I released, before taking a break from modding.
was a well received project. I spent over a month developing it, and countless
more hours refining it. It is far from perfect, and still has a couple bugs/balance issues.
But quite frankly I got tired of tweaking it over and over. Now when I return to actively
modding Skyrim, I will work more on these issues. But I do not feel obligated to do so, until I'm good and ready, If I had a more vested interest in the project, it would've been a better mod. The same goes for anybody doing anything, if an author has a vested interest in a project, (such as the possibility for compensation ) it will improve the quality of a project.

But again this is speculation.

@Foster

Is money the only motivation though? I do not mod for Skyrim, I am however a Minecraft Map Maker which is about the same: we both create free content for the community. Like other modders, I have never recieved a cent for my work however I am still motivated to make maps since I release maps I want to play on. If I already made the map for me, why not release it to the community?

Money is a good incentive, but the majority of modding has been free since the 1990s. Why should we break the machine that has worked since the time when there was a Soviet Union? This workshop update has done nothing but harm: fragmented the community, killed support for Bethesda, and made Valve look like villians trying to pull the wool over our eyes saying this is to support the mod makers. Edited by freedom613

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24594599. #24595064, #24597874, #24598129, #24598509, #24600934, #24601064, #24604279, #24605234, #24605519, #24605574, #24605679, #24606499, #24607304, #24607644, #24609789, #24609999, #24611149 are all replies on the same post.

Ehwhat2008 wrote:
SkeletonShen wrote: I agree.
Calu93 wrote: Me too
Quloide wrote: Aye
Alienfriend wrote: I agree too
onkenoke wrote: and my axe!

oh wait wrong speech sorry
Milleuros wrote: Agree.

Nexus is proving that they have the ethics of modding in their heart and that they have immense respect for the authors. They deserve that bit of money.
darksunshaman wrote: Also agree, just disabled adblocker on nexus
micnorian14 wrote: Been there, done that.
DohmeShot wrote: The solidarity is unreal. Disabled.

Except if an audio ad is coming up, I hate that intrusive garbage.
waffle652 wrote: I stopped and then a repeating audio ad kept deafening me and overshadowing my music while I was reading this article.

Now i'm using adblock again.

I don't care what somebody or something does, I don't tolerate audio ads. Especially ones that auto-play every 30 seconds and can't be turned off.
IMNdi wrote: I have also seen the light. This site has better presentation, a better installer for mods, way better mod management, and, unlike the tripe I expect the workshop to become, this has actual feedback going on.

Also, if I knew mods would be monetized, I would not have bough Skyrim. With no mods, the darned thing is not worth the money. And now that I bought it, rules change.

It's a good thing this site exists. And for a couple bucks or ads. Seriously. You don't want to know how much I spent on my phone -er- software. I wouldn't even blink at 3 dollars for an app, yet it took this long to support the nexus.

I'm weird.

Maybe you need an app?
XxSHREKSCOPExX wrote: ADBLOCK = OFF M8
digitaltrucker wrote: I contributed to the site a while ago, so no adds for me. When my finances improve just a tad more, I fully intend to pay a subscription for the foreseeable future. I highly doubt Black Tree Gaming is making a heap of money from this, and it's irrelevant anyway. Support the ones who support you.
Aquilathestne wrote: Adblock is off. Though i would like to say the repeating audio gets annoying. Though I will keep it off on principle.
thetag wrote: Disable ADBlock and Adobe Flash Player plugin = no more intrusive advertisements. ;)
pixelpups wrote: stopped using add block since i downloaded first mod...
Primalsplit wrote: Well, I already stopped adblock working on this site when nexus asked nicely for it much earlier. I think, I will just keep supporting them. It is the only site I have disabled adblock.

I stopped adblock yesterday, and after reading more posts today I went in on a Lifetime membership.
I've been using Nexus on and off for years, and enjoying game mods since Doom.

The way Valvthesda is doing this is horrible and only the tip of the iceberg. We need to keep Nexus and community modding alive.

In response to post #24608634. #24609314, #24612079 are all replies on the same post.

iiiimessiahiiii wrote:

more hours refining it. It is far from perfect, and still has a couple bugs/balance issues.
But quite frankly I got tired of tweaking it over and over. Now when I return to actively
modding Skyrim, I will work more on these issues. But I do not feel obligated to do so, until I'm good and ready, If I had a more vested interest in the project, it would've been a better mod. The same goes for anybody doing anything, if an author has a vested interest in a project, (such as the possibility for compensation ) it will improve the quality of a project.

freedom613 wrote: @Foster

Is money the only motivation though? I do not mod for Skyrim, I am however a Minecraft Map Maker which is about the same: we both create free content for the community. Like other modders, I have never recieved a cent for my work however I am still motivated to make maps since I release maps I want to play on. If I already made the map for me, why not release it to the community?

Money is a good incentive, but the majority of modding has been free since the 1990s. Why should we break the machine that has worked since the time when there was a Soviet Union? This workshop update has done nothing but harm: fragmented the community, killed support for Bethesda, and made Valve look like villians trying to pull the wool over our eyes saying this is to support the mod makers.

Is money the only motivation? No, of course not and like you, I make for myself first, then share what I've created. I've modded for 15+ years, and money has never been an issue.
Moving forward, it is something I will now consider though.

You guys are a bunch of fools. Valve is obviously testing their power over the universe (ie. what are the consequences of their actions). They're worried that announcing HL3 will cause the end of time itself. That's why Skyrim is the first game to get paid mods, it suits it's story. For those who don't know, in Skyrim you're basically trying to stop the destruction of time and space by killing a dragon god. I'm suprised how quickly people lost their faith in Lord Gaben. :rolleyes:

In response to post #24608634. #24609314, #24612079, #24612614 are all replies on the same post.

iiiimessiahiiii wrote:

freedom613 wrote: @Foster

Money is a good incentive, but the majority of modding has been free since the 1990s. Why should we break the machine that has worked since the time when there was a Soviet Union? This workshop update has done nothing but harm: fragmented the community, killed support for Bethesda, and made Valve look like villians trying to pull the wool over our eyes saying this is to support the mod makers.
foster xbl wrote: Is money the only motivation? No, of course not and like you, I make for myself first, then share what I've created. I've modded for 15+ years, and money has never been an issue.
Moving forward, it is something I will now consider though.

If you want money as your motiviation, well I cannot stop you. What Valve has done to the community here though is unforgivable. The irony of having a civil war in a game about a civil war...

I will ask though: Is it worth the small cut from Valve to be part of this schism? If you are going to sell your mods, might as well do it on your own site and get the full cut instead of a quarter.

Then again, I know nothing about modding Skyrim so maybe it is worth the 25%. My map mods are me just messing around with Terrain Control, takes me about a week to make one (two if I go with custom biomes) so money isn't worth it for that. Edited by freedom613

In response to post #24611779. #24612574, #24613159 are all replies on the same post.

MartinPurvis wrote:
capt0skittles wrote: care to share the link to said petition?
phantompally76 wrote: There are 5 or 6 different ones.

https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-the-paid-content-of-the-steam-workshop here u go

In response to post #24611779. #24612574, #24613159, #24613174, #24613184 are all replies on the same post.

MartinPurvis wrote:

freedom613 wrote: https://www.change.org/p/valve-remove-the-paid-content-of-the-steam-workshop

Strange there wasn't a link before. I just double checked the rules to see if there was any rule against posting the petition link, I couldn't find one. Hopefully this is the case.

Oops Edited by ArturoPlayerOne

In response to post #24611779. #24612574, #24613159, #24613174, #24613179 are all replies on the same post.

MartinPurvis wrote:

ArturoPlayerOne wrote: Oops

Edit: Never mind, someone beat me to the punch! Edited by freedom613