Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

Congrats on big corporations turning an hobby into a mean of monetization. This is what will happen for Fallout 4:

- Bethesda release Fallout 4 a buggy mess like Fallout 3 an Skyrim were.

- Put minimal efforts into patching the game.

- Modders make unofficial patch, monetize it.

- Bethesda Receives money with minimal efforts.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24577629.

ITAYBRON wrote:

If TB was against this, he would be against himself making money off of youtube. He can't by a hypocrite here. He wants people to get paid for their work, but i don't think he fully comprehends the implications. Ultimately he has far more things on his plate than bethesda modding. He doesn't understand the nuances and shitflinging that already goes down here over free stuff.

His criticisms are correct though, but its only viable if Steam were making themselves culpable for the eventually shitstorm that is about to visit them. I have a hunch they are making absolutely sure they have zero liability when people get scammed and burned left and right and their game stops working.

In response to post #24571819. #24571979, #24572124, #24572239, #24572369, #24572524, #24574354, #24574409, #24576814, #24577084 are all replies on the same post.

Laxe wrote:
boulegue wrote: he wants as little as 0.82€ i cant even get a cheese burger for that price
Laxe wrote: You can't try the mod without buying and you have no insurance that it will work after 24 hours refund protection ends.

Imagine trying out hundreds of mods before you find out the ones you like, it will cost you hundreds or even more if you have to buy them. that is modding kill for me and i will just stay away from such games.

Anyways i hope that at least they stop pooping on Mod name and call it what it is - Third party DLC
boulegue wrote: isokus mod are still avaible on the nexus for you to try out as much as you want without spending money the versions on the workshop are just updated, if youre not willing to spend money then simply dont noone is forcing you to spend money....

and if you currently spend $1 you can try out every mod there is.... and $1 for 17 days is very little
SvarogNL wrote: Problem is that all the refund ends up in your Steam Wallet. While the Modders don't have to deal with that problem.
boulegue wrote: you have to spend 0,82€ once to test out all mods currently uploaded to the steam workshop.... not 17 times 0,82€ but just once the refund is basically instant and you can try another mod 2 clicks later
crashpilot wrote: And what about after 17 days.
Anyway, it does not matter. I have about 200 Mods installed, even if the price per MOD is ONLY about 1 $, it would mean I would pay about 250 bucks for an acceptable Bethsoft game.
No thank you, For that kind of money I can entertain myself better.
Striderhien wrote: I just realized there's a gigantic loophole that allows anyone to get the paid mods for free.
The refund process is oversimplistic because many mods might be broken, which allows you to download, copy, get a refund and unistall the mod. then reinstall the copy.
GG valve. yet again you failed
raistlinmajere8 wrote: His OLDER versions are available. Not any current ones.
popcorn71 wrote:
I just realized there's a gigantic loophole that allows anyone to get the paid mods for free.
The refund process is oversimplistic because many mods might be broken, which allows you to download, copy, get a refund and unistall the mod. then reinstall the copy.
GG valve. yet again you failed

That is unless there is some sort of DRM imbedded in the mod package...

Can anyone confirm this? That seems kind of... well, kind of a massive loophole to leave.

Maybe they're packed into special file formats like Garry's Mod mods are?

In response to post #24578069. #24578114, #24578164, #24578219 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote:
Salzber wrote: Doesn't change him agreeing and joining to begin with.
Arendella wrote: He may of had a choice and his own choice to put his mod there and such, but there is no excuse for what he did. I'm sorry but I won't use his mods anymore and I will tell others to not support it as well. In terms of business, all it takes is bad reputation to outweigh the good ones.
WightMage wrote: I'm not saying that I support his decision, just been spending the past hour getting scoops and posting them here for others to read.

In other news, there's a rumor that some of the mod authors have taken to changing their Steam handles due to the sheer amount of hate they're getting.

NDA my ass. There was a very simple answer to Valve and Bethesda on this and that was "NO". Absolutely not. But they chose to drink the cool aid as I like to say. They got suckered in. What did Valve do and or say to them about the other modding avenues and do they know something that they still can tell us. Like a possible total lock out of all non sanctioned Workshop mods is coming and this was the time to jump on or get out of the way. Something more is going here and these guys are not telling the whole truth about it. They know more and they cant say anything for fear of what? Getting locked out of the modding scene completely? Makes you wonder what the heck is really going on here.

In response to post #24565054. #24565389, #24578709 are all replies on the same post.

evilives34 wrote:
VaultMaster101 wrote: Ok, now this is a scary premise.
dptheslothking wrote: my god I never even thought of that. Imagine false claims like when they added the very initially flawed content ID system for music, video etc from 3rd parties.

Stop giving them ideas! :C

This is just my take on it, I am all for modders if they so choose to to sell their mods. Since high speed internet has come to be, it used to be we sold our mods via floppy/bbs/cd and even DVD but that was rare. But I am sure you make a killing here with all the add revenue and the modders that brought you income to the point you have been able to hire on full time paid staff. But glad your open to the idea Dark0ne. If you were smart, you would do the same thing as Valve but cut them out give modders 70-75% of the sale from the mods the rest goes to the site and the developer. If the modder chooses to sell their mod. Plus you would still keep the income of all the adds on the site. Modders that make content from scratch get to sell their art.

But how some modders are looking at it now, that have been modding for years, The 25% is better than 100% of nothing, people don't donate to them nor have they ever seen a cent from a donation. So I can understand why modders are frustrated and want to see some reward for their labors because lets face it, a like and an endorsement does not put some food on the table, or help pay the bills.

People saying this is a bad idea no its not, by the developers allowing this kind of thing, you cut valve out, you get more to modders, you give the devs a little more than valve. You will see the same tools/exporters/importers made available to the modding community that are used in the gaming studios, because they are not going to want to wait for some Frankenstein tools to be made so they have to wait to see income coming in from the modding community. Just an idea everyone does not need to be mad at the modders selling their mods, be mad at greedy valve for taking 75%...

Edited by donta1979

In response to post #24577779. #24578409, #24578564 are all replies on the same post.

Jsmorris14 wrote:
Brasscatcher wrote: *never* comment via steam(or a steam-related service) about steam (or a steam-related service). It's the only time and place valve will actively moderate. lol.
knightspk2 wrote: Haha, as if... I was banned for quoting someone who said Nvidia was better than AMD. But whatever, be careful when posting things against Steam on Steam, but definitely still do it. Valve needs to see.

lol I can see that now. but still I wouldn't be surprised if it happened to a lot of people today.

This certainly has left a bitter taste in my mouth. the last year and a half I have been working on a mod called Skyrim Holds Redone. Countless hours have been put into it but its all been for the community and myself to experience Skyrim with about 50% percent bigger holds. It always bothered me it takes 3 min to run to whiterun from riverwood so I did something about it lol. It just went from there. not even close to being done but I still wanna see how all this plays out.