Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24564064. #24564289, #24564449 are all replies on the same post.

savagesouls wrote:
Faralai wrote: It will hurt it badly, greedy modders will stop posting here and might just stick to steam where they can make money.
Aedred wrote: I feel sick, knowing that since this is actually happening much sooner than I thought it would, what follows next will be worse... as Sandhorse said.

and reiterating what I mentioned in Dark0ne's previous post, "You'll be hard pressed to find a good mod for free", it's only a matter of time before more people get enticed by the lure of money.

I may be hopefull but i don't think that many authors would fall into this. How many mod authors worked theirs asses to bring us new exciting content. Even when somes players were hard on them. Thoses guys kept updating theirs mod.

But yes, I agree that there's going to be a mess with "modders wars", stealing assets and somes nice mod becoming DLCs. :/

In response to post #24564684. #24564804 is also a reply to the same post.

Gambit77 wrote:
boulegue wrote: i think that would be rather hard because bethesda will demand a cut and are probably tied up in some kind of exclusitivity with steam

There's a possibility Valve won't even give the money http://puu.sh/hooTJ/b9ef0d7d38.jpg https://archive.is/HQeTc#selection-829.0-829.107

In response to post #24564764.

Schmornoff wrote:

btw getting money for your mods would mean the realy good modders with millions of downloads would be able to "live" of it for some parts which would mean they would have more time for the actual modding and even awsomer mods would come out.

First off, Dark0ne, I'm sincerely sorry to hear about your holiday; I know what's it's like when that happens, and it always sucks.

In regards to the main topic, I don't see the sky falling just yet. Yes, I do think having to pay for mods is going to hurt the modding community in the long run, at least on Steam, but I think a better way would have been to have a pop-up asking for a donation when you download a mod, rather than asking for an outright payment. I don't mind throwing a little money at a mod author if their mod is good, I realize some of these mods take an enormous amount of effort to produce, but it shouldn't be a requirement. Time will tell.

In response to post #24564684. #24564804, #24564859 are all replies on the same post.

Gambit77 wrote:
boulegue wrote: i think that would be rather hard because bethesda will demand a cut and are probably tied up in some kind of exclusitivity with steam
Uoteau wrote: There's a possibility Valve won't even give the money http://puu.sh/hooTJ/b9ef0d7d38.jpg https://archive.is/HQeTc#selection-829.0-829.107

Doesn't somes authors already have paypal donation links on theirs page ? i'm curious if there's legal issues with donation in general.

In response to post #24562194. #24562354, #24562709, #24563084, #24563309, #24563459, #24563644, #24563674, #24563819, #24563864, #24563879, #24564044, #24564379 are all replies on the same post.

trainwiz wrote:
BlueFenix wrote: PRAISE BASED TRAINWIZ
Dark0ne wrote: Like.
NoDebate wrote: Thank you trainwiz. You my n'wah.
raupao wrote: You give me hope.
enrikiller wrote: But goy, don't you know there's mad shekels to be made?
yourenotsupposedtobeinhere wrote: As will mine.
EWM333 wrote: Much appreciated
peppefarina wrote: THANKS trainwiz... sadly i think there surely will be some good/big modders that won't be as enlightened as you are... and they will be lured in this marketing campain that's taking place "on the other side" pretty fast pretty badly...
Bellasimo wrote: good boy :) Thanks
forellenfischer wrote: awesome!
lordburnch wrote: Never thought I would see the day were Dark0ne agreed with Trainwiz. Good sport Trainwiz.
Madrias wrote: Have a Kudos point from me, Trainwiz. You've made some awesome stuff, and I'm glad it is staying free.

The coolest modder has spoken!