Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my biggest problem with this. Now that this is a paid service. My expectations of stability and compatibility have gone way up. As they should, because again, we are paying a lot of money for these mods. As valve and bethesda are probably taking a piece of this. The burden of quality is raised and they must deliver a Mod Organizing tool with version control and compatibility control built right into it.

In response to post #24567554. #24567709, #24567759, #24567899 are all replies on the same post.

bioshards wrote:
AmeerMahmood wrote: Keep in mind, dude, the mod authors only get 25% of the cost of the mod through the workshop.

So if, for instance, a mod costs $5 (cough wet and cold), the author will only be getting $1.25. But, thinking that, this could also be an incentive to charge large amounts of money for mods, just so authors can get a decent "cut".

IMO though, this whole thing is ridiculous, £2 for a mod? Most of my damn PC games cost me £3.50.
Jakal256 wrote: To add to that there's 2 creators to wet and cold so they split it 50 50 so 50% of 25%. What a meager payout for all the hate they're getting right now...
boulegue wrote: pretty sure they got a "little" extra from valve

so now I have to spend 20 dollars on the game, 5 dollars on project nevada, 6 dollars on weapon retexture project, 10 dollars on.... you get the picture.

In response to post #24567764. #24567849 is also a reply to the same post.

C0331 wrote:
Reaper0021 wrote: I don't give a damn if your popular or not. You mod. I respect you. And I applaud you and thank you from the bottom of my old heart for caring at all.

lol suddenly I don't feel so lame for making really simple mods. It's my free time anywho.

I'm pretty much going keep any mods that are my own, free.
I want nothing to do with pay walls and mods. Edited by Aedred

In response to post #24565569. #24565839, #24565909, #24565999, #24566174, #24566714, #24566919, #24567144, #24567694 are all replies on the same post.

Elianora wrote:
SirTopas wrote: I applaud your stand, especially in light of the exceptional quality of your work. Question is, what recourse will you have if someone releases a paid mod using any of your resources?
Aryell wrote: Believe me Elianora, I would love to pay for them! But I know it's not the amount of what I could pay that demonstrates the high value of your job and in fact your resources and ideias are being used for several other modders.
A1Shareef wrote: now THIS deservse a Donation Mr.
Elianora wrote: I will file a DCMA and release the wrath of a very angry lady upon them. It's like the fury of a thousand storms.
sheider wrote: I may not use any of your mods, but I have just made a donation to you just because you take this stance. I encourage others to do the same.
Swamianand wrote: I always thought that you are a nice person Elianora and today I'm sure about that.
Stay as you are ;)
boulegue wrote: im not saying that was anyones intention!!
but i think the modders that say they keep their mods free of charge openly will see a big increase in donations until the storm is over

and that pretty freaking good that way! you people deserve it
akparkison wrote: Thank you. I hope more people are like you.

Thank you.

In response to post #24566989. #24567159, #24567334, #24567369 are all replies on the same post.

sojourner22 wrote:
Uranium - 235 wrote: Unfortunately people - even modders - are greedy and dumb. See also Wet and Cold being sold for FIVE FREAKING DOLLARS.

Hoping it will all work itself out with altruism isn't going to cut it. Furthermore, we're only talking about the current generation of modders. There are almost no people who were modding games for Morrowind who are still modding Skyrim. The torch gets passed and new modders take it up. Yeah, we might have some modders who believe in the old ways and will offer it for free, but with time, they will move on with their lives, and a new generation will take over, a generation that's been raised on microtransactions, DLC, greed, and selfishness.

And that's the end of free modding forever.
sojourner22 wrote: Wet and Cold is set default at $5, but if you select the drop down arrow it allows you to pay as little as $1 for it.... a lot of these mods are listed as pay what you want. It just requires a little bit of extra searching.

That said, the Midas Magic gold minimum price is $3 for like... 10 extra spells. No.
AmeerMahmood wrote: Very pessimistic outlook but a possibility.

The horrible thing about doing that is that 75% of that donation goes to Valve and Bethesda. Butter my arse, that's crazy. We'll be working to make donations more prominent here without trying to make it too in your face annoying for users still. That way, 100% of the donations will go to the user.

People are being over-dramatic about this whole thing. Nobody is forcing you to put your mods on SW so why worry? Nobody has ever complained before that they weren't making money off their hard labored mods...it was for the sheer enjoyment of sharing. So what has changed in you mod author's just because Steam made a new idea even though we're on the nexus. Nobody even really used SW in the first place. And if you mod authors are looking for money....wouldn't it make more sense to get a real developer job instead of this...? Logic people. Use it.