Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

In response to post #24605909. #24606599 is also a reply to the same post.

foster xbl wrote:
IMNdi wrote: What an alien concept.

Giving something to a community. Can you imagine? Open source, free software, free browsers, free books, free music, an entire world out there. What, soon EVERYONE will have access to culture.

Makes my blood curl. No, I say, how dare people GIVE these away? Bathe them in ads, lock them away, heck, better they rot in a cellar and bring 5 cents than to let them greasy users enjoy them.

Also, is it me or are you way, WAY missing the point? Either mods are free (donations, which are 100% to the dev) or monetized in which case the company takes a cut for storefront. In neither case companies make money and devs don't. What are you on about?

No I'm pretty sure you're missing my point.

If everyone else can profit from an authors work, they should be allowed to as well.

Being fairly compensated for your work and efforts....what an alien concept

Being compensated for work that has and has always been intended for free use for 20 years is pretty alien in fact. And the fact that others are profiting from modders work is entirely irrelevant. I doubt anyone is saying people shouldnt be compensated for work. This is capitalsim after all. Money is all that matters. And shortly you will all soon to realize that money corrupts. Watch it all burn as the industry has for 20 years. I cant wait for fallout 4 to release a paid version of the geck and zenimax owns all rights to your work. And you are forced to pay them to fix their game. What an excellent future we have with paid mods. What an excellent future for mod authors who are so picked on and gain no monetary compensation for thousands of hours of hard work.

And as always the only people who want this are the people who will be screwed the most. Digging your own graves.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24595404. #24596639, #24602064, #24602709, #24602944, #24603434 are all replies on the same post.

1SHOT2KILL wrote:
joe1st wrote: hahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahaha yessss
Nimboss wrote: +1
ROFL
Milleuros wrote: I will upload your image to 9gag, I think it has to spread.

EDIT : http://9gag.com/gag/am0dNA6
Don't know how to give proper credit though.
1SHOT2KILL wrote: Edit no. 2: Thanks!
raupao wrote: LMAO

Lol. precious. Though to be honest, bethseda was my least favorite when they made serana unmarriable.

In response to post #24594599. #24595064, #24597874, #24598129, #24598509, #24600934, #24601064, #24604279, #24605234, #24605519, #24605574, #24605679, #24606499, #24607304 are all replies on the same post.

Ehwhat2008 wrote:
SkeletonShen wrote: I agree.
Calu93 wrote: Me too
Quloide wrote: Aye
Alienfriend wrote: I agree too
onkenoke wrote: and my axe!

oh wait wrong speech sorry
Milleuros wrote: Agree.

Nexus is proving that they have the ethics of modding in their heart and that they have immense respect for the authors. They deserve that bit of money.
darksunshaman wrote: Also agree, just disabled adblocker on nexus
micnorian14 wrote: Been there, done that.
DohmeShot wrote: The solidarity is unreal. Disabled.

Except if an audio ad is coming up, I hate that intrusive garbage.
waffle652 wrote: I stopped and then a repeating audio ad kept deafening me and overshadowing my music while I was reading this article.

Now i'm using adblock again.

I don't care what somebody or something does, I don't tolerate audio ads. Especially ones that auto-play every 30 seconds and can't be turned off.
IMNdi wrote: I have also seen the light. This site has better presentation, a better installer for mods, way better mod management, and, unlike the tripe I expect the workshop to become, this has actual feedback going on.

Also, if I knew mods would be monetized, I would not have bough Skyrim. With no mods, the darned thing is not worth the money. And now that I bought it, rules change.

It's a good thing this site exists. And for a couple bucks or ads. Seriously. You don't want to know how much I spent on my phone -er- software. I wouldn't even blink at 3 dollars for an app, yet it took this long to support the nexus.

I'm weird.

Maybe you need an app?
XxSHREKSCOPExX wrote: ADBLOCK = OFF M8
digitaltrucker wrote: I contributed to the site a while ago, so no adds for me. When my finances improve just a tad more, I fully intend to pay a subscription for the foreseeable future. I highly doubt Black Tree Gaming is making a heap of money from this, and it's irrelevant anyway. Support the ones who support you.

Adblock is off. Though i would like to say the repeating audio gets annoying. Though I will keep it off on principle.

In response to post #24607414.

iiiimessiahiiii wrote:

How is the that fact irrelevant?

Because it is the expected norm?

It was always understood and it never mattered. I agree that no one should be outraged that people want money for work. However when people all of a sudden who never wanted money do for the same thing. It starts to look a little opportunistic. Modders are the good guys and they are the ones who are getting hit the hardest. Modding was never about making money and it was never intended to be. The nexus has always profited from modders and so have countless others. And it never mattered, and no one ever cared, until now. And on top of it all even the most successful mods make 500% more money for the publishers who dont even give money to the developers, and the people who do absolutely nothing but host the platform and various ip rights make all the money. This is the power of pure capitalism.

In response to post #24607414. #24607549 is also a reply to the same post.

iiiimessiahiiii wrote:
foster xbl wrote: How is the that fact irrelevant?
Because it is the expected norm?

@foster xbl "If everyone else can profit from an authors work, they should be allowed to as well"

This literally never happens. Either a mod is free, and the author gets 0 or 100% of donations (and nobody else gets cash) or it's not free, in which case a part of the cash gets to the developer, and the rest is taken by Valve and Beth.

"Set a price for your creation, list it for sale in the Steam Workshop, and earn a portion of sales" - Steam Workshop page.

Where in the name of all that is good did you get that _everyone_else_ can profit? Is there a scheme where SOME profit from mods that are not authors?

ETA: I believe I replied in the wrong place -_- Edited by IMNdi

In response to post #24605909. #24606599, #24606984 are all replies on the same post.

foster xbl wrote:
IMNdi wrote: What an alien concept.

Giving something to a community. Can you imagine? Open source, free software, free browsers, free books, free music, an entire world out there. What, soon EVERYONE will have access to culture.

Makes my blood curl. No, I say, how dare people GIVE these away? Bathe them in ads, lock them away, heck, better they rot in a cellar and bring 5 cents than to let them greasy users enjoy them.

Also, is it me or are you way, WAY missing the point? Either mods are free (donations, which are 100% to the dev) or monetized in which case the company takes a cut for storefront. In neither case companies make money and devs don't. What are you on about?
foster xbl wrote: No I'm pretty sure you're missing my point.

If everyone else can profit from an authors work, they should be allowed to as well.

Being fairly compensated for your work and efforts....what an alien concept

It is quite ironic that the ones doing the actually work are the least compensated; also ironic is that it's not that foreign of a concept. I wonder what the community's overall stance is. Do they just want mods that are completely free, with or without ads, being completely monetized (by payment) by the makers (or the companies, even though it's obviously not the case), or being partially monetized through payment?

This is mostly speculation, but it seems though that most would be fine with the ad model. This model is most successful with streaming/video content. I believe that some mentioned that Curse follows this model to some degree. I already have a negative stance on video content that simply showcases a mod or video game (or anything similar). To me, it would make much more sense to support a modder directly, but it's usually not the case, but this is most likely true because others use ad monetization (and I don't see how this couldn't be applied for modders seeing how YouTubers and such are able to get away with it) and usually gain popularity since they are "entertainers", in a sense.

I think that the community has gathered the way it is based on the fact that mods were originally free, just like how video content providers and streamers developed a community based around ads; and this is why it's difficult to propose such a method as direct paid monetization. I'm wondering if this community, and others, have different views in terms of the stances listed above. Edited by Fuzaki

In response to post #24607824.

iiiimessiahiiii wrote:

You might be speaking a little out of place there... it didn't matter to all those users getting free content, but I promise you it has crossed the minds of the creators of that content. And yes it is opportunistic, this opportunity has never ben available before now.
And I personally don't share the doom and gloom vision of it all.