Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

I wanna pay for mods like I pay for see modding video reviews on Patreon to Brodual and Gopher. Some mods are so amazing tthey deserves much more! But I don't wanna pay any money to VALVE. I wanna contribute with the modding author. Of course all them use CK but how to integrate SKSE, SkyUI, MCM and all free resources and colaborative efforts from several contributers? And if I pay I have garanntee about the quallity and compatibility? Anyway donate seems not work ...

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24565169.

jim_uk wrote:

I'm waiting for things to cool down a bit first before making my mind up, but honestly I've been thinking of just concluding my time with Skyrim altogether too, with all of this happening.

Witcher 3 is right around the corner, and I'm thinking of actually getting into creating mods I may actually release publicly on that.

In response to post #24564864. #24565084, #24565204, #24565249 are all replies on the same post.

Majitsu wrote:
Aedred wrote: No, they're not, not at the present time.
windu190 wrote: That's why this whole thing is shady, and possibly illegal, as hel.
They are asking money for a product containing assets they don't even own.
zzjay wrote: Yes its illegal...but so far steamworkshop didnt care...there were outfits from final fantasy there...and no moderation...i hope nexus will help us claim what is ours like last time

This is a legitimate point. Bumping this so anyone knowledgeable on the subject can clarify.

In response to post #24562194. #24562354, #24562709, #24563084, #24563309, #24563459, #24563644, #24563674, #24563819, #24563864, #24563879, #24564044, #24564379, #24564994, #24565419, #24565464, #24565479, #24565539 are all replies on the same post.

trainwiz wrote:
BlueFenix wrote: PRAISE BASED TRAINWIZ
Dark0ne wrote: Like.
NoDebate wrote: Thank you trainwiz. You my n'wah.
raupao wrote: You give me hope.
enrikiller wrote: But goy, don't you know there's mad shekels to be made?
yourenotsupposedtobeinhere wrote: As will mine.
EWM333 wrote: Much appreciated
peppefarina wrote: THANKS trainwiz... sadly i think there surely will be some good/big modders that won't be as enlightened as you are... and they will be lured in this marketing campain that's taking place "on the other side" pretty fast pretty badly...
Bellasimo wrote: good boy :) Thanks
forellenfischer wrote: awesome!
lordburnch wrote: Never thought I would see the day were Dark0ne agreed with Trainwiz. Good sport Trainwiz.
Madrias wrote: Have a Kudos point from me, Trainwiz. You've made some awesome stuff, and I'm glad it is staying free.
Celltrex wrote: The coolest modder has spoken!
Orgaya wrote: Thank you.
TSotP wrote: i really like what you said Trainwiz, but what's to stop someone from downloading your free mod and re-uploading it to steam behind a paywall? Do you really think Valve and Beth are going to step in to protect your work (which can't exist without their work)? Especially considering the huge cut they will be getting from the stolen mod.

This whole idea of paid mods reeks of greed on the part of Valve/Beth.

And i don't really blame any mod author who want's to get paid for all their work either.

Imagine you are the SkyUI team, sitting there with your free mod that has literally millions of downloads. But some guy who opened up nifskope and rehashed some vanilla armors into something 'new' is charging $4 for his mod. If you were SkyUI, wouldn't you be a little annoyed that you are NOT making money?
Voodoo McGee wrote: The credo of a true modder, for love not glory.
TheHuntress1970 wrote: +1 Kudo for you!

ERMAHGAWD TRAINWIZ IS BACK I LUV YOUR WORK! Q_Q Praise be Trainwiz and his community spirit!

I appreciate you giving up free time or enjoyable vacation hours to contribute hours to this continually growing community. We shall see how events unfold and plans unwind down the road with coming games. Long live the nexus and happy many years to you dark one.

In response to post #24562194. #24562354, #24562709, #24563084, #24563309, #24563459, #24563644, #24563674, #24563819, #24563864, #24563879, #24564044, #24564379, #24564994, #24565419, #24565464, #24565479, #24565539, #24565714 are all replies on the same post.

trainwiz wrote:
peppefarina wrote: THANKS trainwiz... sadly i think there surely will be some good/big modders that won't be as enlightened as you are... and they will be lured in this marketing campain that's taking place "on the other side" pretty fast pretty badly...
lordburnch wrote: Never thought I would see the day were Dark0ne agreed with Trainwiz. Good sport Trainwiz.
Madrias wrote: Have a Kudos point from me, Trainwiz. You've made some awesome stuff, and I'm glad it is staying free.
TSotP wrote: i really like what you said Trainwiz, but what's to stop someone from downloading your free mod and re-uploading it to steam behind a paywall? Do you really think Valve and Beth are going to step in to protect your work (which can't exist without their work)? Especially considering the huge cut they will be getting from the stolen mod.

And i don't really blame any mod author who want's to get paid for all their work either.

Imagine you are the SkyUI team, sitting there with your free mod that has literally millions of downloads. But some guy who opened up nifskope and rehashed some vanilla armors into something 'new' is charging $4 for his mod. If you were SkyUI, wouldn't you be a little annoyed that you are NOT making money?
Blademaster1215 wrote: ERMAHGAWD TRAINWIZ IS BACK I LUV YOUR WORK! Q_Q Praise be Trainwiz and his community spirit!

Although I don't like ALL of your stuff Trainwiz (Even though I love the Wheels of Lull I find Bhruce Hammar to be too "tongue-in-cheeky", for example) when I talk to my friends about modding, your name always comes up from me as a pillar to the modding community.

I'm completely extactic to see my appreciation for you validated and strenghtened

Thank you trainwiz. You're an inspiration to us all

In response to post #24565684.

Brumbek wrote:

Wait a little bit. See if the updated donation system here on NexusMods will make more people donate. :thumbsup:

If it doesn't increase the amount of donations, then I don't blame you for wanting just a little bit of compensation for your hours of work. $1 or $2 is definitely not greedy - just a shock for a lot of people.

In response to post #24565489. #24565664 is also a reply to the same post.

Elegost75 wrote:
boulegue wrote: if you created original content it's yours. you are fully protected if someone puts up your mods/resources without your permission.

I mean consumer protections laws, mostly.

Things like mods not working based on load order and such.

In response to post #24562194. #24562354, #24562709, #24563084, #24563309, #24563459, #24563644, #24563674, #24563819, #24563864, #24563879, #24564044, #24564379, #24564994, #24565419, #24565464, #24565479, #24565539, #24565714, #24565739 are all replies on the same post.

trainwiz wrote:

Blademaster1215 wrote: ERMAHGAWD TRAINWIZ IS BACK I LUV YOUR WORK! Q_Q Praise be Trainwiz and his community spirit!
Fawkes1243 wrote: Although I don't like ALL of your stuff Trainwiz (Even though I love the Wheels of Lull I find Bhruce Hammar to be too "tongue-in-cheeky", for example) when I talk to my friends about modding, your name always comes up from me as a pillar to the modding community.

I'm completely extactic to see my appreciation for you validated and strenghtened

Thank you trainwiz. You're an inspiration to us all

Thank you trainwiz, I wish all the modders would be like you.

In response to post #24565609.

icecreamassassin wrote:

take a way a kids lollipop and tell them they get it back for a dollar..... i promise you they're gonna be pissed :D

everyone is free to decide if they want to charge money for their mods or not, yet i still hope most people wont