Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24565684. #24565749, #24565819, #24565874 are all replies on the same post.

Brumbek wrote:
Zaldiir wrote: Wait a little bit. See if the updated donation system here on NexusMods will make more people donate. :thumbsup:

If it doesn't increase the amount of donations, then I don't blame you for wanting just a little bit of compensation for your hours of work. $1 or $2 is definitely not greedy - just a shock for a lot of people.
athiust wrote: Your awesome you have caused alot of joy in alot of people and have created satisfaction and an echo within the community
RJ the Shadow wrote: What I think is an option, and an error on Valve's part for not thinking of this, is to make payment optional.

Was there not a thing in the music market where artists put up a "pay what you want, or nothing at all" for the mp3's and the sales made for them reached above they had earned on previous works?

A non-negotiable option should have been to have the mod for free, with payment a convenient option (ideal with Steam have it's Wallet).

There ARE people out there who want to vote with their wallet. But they're not given the option. Instead, they are forced to offer their wallet or are refused the content. And as made obvious, Valve will paywall anything, not even trusting us to use our money to show thanks.

It differs from Paypal Donations because the question is directly forced upon the user. Whereas a Donation button can be skipped or ignored.

My biggest problem with the new system as-is is it kind of screws with people using alternative modding tools like Mod Organizer. Your mod is very worth a fee, but I still wouldn't buy it if it were on Workshop... that said, I may have just clicked a button on your profile page.

In response to post #24565489. #24565664, #24565754 are all replies on the same post.

Elegost75 wrote:
boulegue wrote: if you created original content it's yours. you are fully protected if someone puts up your mods/resources without your permission.
Elegost75 wrote: I mean consumer protections laws, mostly.

Things like mods not working based on load order and such.

you have the 24h return option but thats basically it. and for some of the larger mods which maybe show CTD's etc etc after a long while thats sadly not enough

In response to post #24565569. #24565839, #24565909 are all replies on the same post.

Elianora wrote:
SirTopas wrote: I applaud your stand, especially in light of the exceptional quality of your work. Question is, what recourse will you have if someone releases a paid mod using any of your resources?
Aryell wrote: But I know it's not the amount of what I could pay that demonstrates the high value of your work!

now THIS deservse a Donation Mr.

In response to post #24564864. #24565084, #24565204, #24565249, #24565704 are all replies on the same post.

Majitsu wrote:
Aedred wrote: No, they're not, not at the present time.
windu190 wrote: That's why this whole thing is shady, and possibly illegal, as hel.
They are asking money for a product containing assets they don't even own.
zzjay wrote: Yes its illegal...but so far steamworkshop didnt care...there were outfits from final fantasy there...and no moderation...i hope nexus will help us claim what is ours like last time
Orgaya wrote: This is a legitimate point. Bumping this so anyone knowledgeable on the subject can clarify.

There was a post earlier that confirmed some of the mods on there were using content from others that are not for sale. It looks like the post was deleted though, I think it was SvargolNT and another user that mentioned this. (Apologies if I mispelled your name.) Edited by Aedred

In response to post #24562404. #24562524, #24562599, #24562684, #24562874, #24563024, #24563444, #24563909, #24564214, #24564324, #24564709, #24564719, #24565039, #24565069, #24565294 are all replies on the same post.

ramccoid wrote:
AmraHobbes wrote: Thank you. Your mods are some of the best.
HrvojeRaznjevic wrote: ramccoid, I use almost all of your mods. Keep up the good work mate
Elianora wrote: Same here.
FiendishGhoul wrote: Kudos to both of you, Elianora & Ramccoid!
NoDebate wrote: Thank you (to you both - and anyone else who continues modding for the sake of modding).
EWM333 wrote: Thanks ramccoid and Elianora for all the hard work you have both done with your mods it does go very appreciated
darkroses wrote: thanks you 3 :)
AvengerJikir wrote: Inb4 £29.99 Dust; with extra shininess for only 10p more!

In all seriousness; Thank you. Your mods are amazing; improving the textures some people would consider small but which actually have a massive impact on Skyrim's visuals as they are so frequent in the world.
windu190 wrote: You rock sir! :)
Xtyfe00 wrote: Much respect, any modder who says no to this has earned it.
ramccoid wrote: Thank you all, I appreciate it loads. I like being part of this community and I love the comments of enjoyment of my mods, what price could I place on that.

If I can make your game playing more fun then I'm rewarded enough and it was all completely worth it.
akparkison wrote: Thank you. As someone who loves your mods!
Azradun wrote: You're awesome!
CaptainMauin wrote: Shoutout to people like you, ramccoid. And you, Elianora.

I don't like the idea of paid mods and I never will. It's nice to find others who will never require a payment. I know I won't. It's... Well, it's an idea I really don't like. The option to donate is nice, but being forced to pay? No. Just... No.

I'm just concerned about how many (more) people will try to steal the work of others just to make a profit on it. This does not feel like a good thing.

If someone steals my work and puts a price on it, then you should of checked in on the Nexus first and got it for free. Edited by ramccoid

In response to post #24565409. #24565579 is also a reply to the same post.

Farvat wrote:
Voodoo McGee wrote: Well said my friend, well said.

THIS

Too bad the admin will probably never read this. If you read Dark0ne's post he is going full STEAM (hahaha pun intended) ahead with the "Banning" policy. *Sigh*

As much as this place offers the best service they (the admin) have still not learned that their own policy of swinging the ban hammer at everything that moves is also fragmenting the community into smaller groups, it also indirectly helps Steam and Valve with their strategy.