ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Valve/Bethesda announce paid modding for Skyrim, more games to follow

Dark0ne

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24562744. #24562994, #24563154, #24563214, #24563259, #24563324, #24563384, #24563414, #24563474, #24564299, #24564504 are all replies on the same post.

galger2013 wrote:
aceventura45 wrote: You haven't seen the recent posts made on the Wet and Cold mod here, at nexus. Everyone is ripping on isoku. There are a lot of people calling him/her nasty things. I'm sorry, internet assholes are everywhere, nexus is sadly no exception.
FiendishGhoul wrote: Uh, no, I'll stand up for the Nexus' users here (or maybe the moderators, not sure), because there's a big difference between saying that you've uninstalled or unendorsed or whatever, versus some of the really extremely virulent language I was reading over on Steam.
TenderHooligan wrote: @aceventura

Yeah. I get people being mad, but I saw those comments on W&C and felt disgusted. If those are the sort of entitled and immature people most mod authors have to deal with all the time, then I can understand why they'd want some $ for it.

@FiendishGhoul...I've seen some of the virulent language here on Nexus as well. Certainly not as bad as on Steam, but it's there. Expect to see a lot of ban reports coming in today.
Lordkabal26 wrote: I'm not gonna rip on him but I don't agree with his decision to lock it behind a paywall. He's not gonna have as many people accessing it if he released it for free here as well. And with less people using it there will be more bugs going undetected.

I for one won't be buying his mods, or ANY mods on the workshop if there isn't a corresponding release here on the Nexus as I don't use workshop mods, I download from here in most cases as I make use of the Nexus categories in Mod Organizer to keep my mods organized
NoDebate wrote: Folks are pissed. The ability to spew what you like is very easy on the internet. That said, the execution may be off base but, the message is clear.
SvarogNL wrote: Well.. Wet and Cold uses SKSE assets en have no persmission to be Sold.

It's a major flaw in the system.
About68cows wrote: Yeah the people who use the workshop clearly don't want to actually do something about it.
Darkieus wrote: The only thing I did on the W&C is say I'm unendorsing and uninstalling. I don't support their behavior, especially when they have tidbits of other people's work inside their own.
bootrocket wrote: @ Darkieus: And your point is EXACTLY the legal "fly in the ointment." This is going to be interesting. Beth will argue that they do not have to pay for the other tidbits because they weren't copyrighted and they were offered in the public domain. Might get messy. I hope Dark0ne has a copyright or two in place.
Azradun wrote: Wait until you see the comments from actual users (customers), who bought the mod and something didn't work...

But what is the worst here is paid mods based on other people's work. Like animations requiring FNIS or SKSE. This is an extremely bad precedent, because in the future either:

- people will release only paid for frameworks
- people will profit from someone else's free frameworks

Both things will have capacity to end modding community as we know it.

The problem is just, that this will end up in people reposting mods all over the internet at mega and other hosters.

People will not buy stuff from Workshop ever if they are used to MO or NMM.
So they just keep rehosting it into oblivion and nobody is gonna stop them.

The reason this did not happen at all is just, that almost any mod was available at Nexus anyways.

You see that at reddit. IF you want a mod that is deleted you get it no matter what.
Somebody has it and will share it if Mod Authors get greedy.

Thats how ne net works.

Problem is that this will spread also harmful stuff all around.

In response to post #24562744. #24562994, #24563154, #24563214, #24563259, #24563324, #24563384, #24563414, #24563474, #24564299, #24564504, #24564609 are all replies on the same post.

galger2013 wrote:
aceventura45 wrote: You haven't seen the recent posts made on the Wet and Cold mod here, at nexus. Everyone is ripping on isoku. There are a lot of people calling him/her nasty things. I'm sorry, internet assholes are everywhere, nexus is sadly no exception.
FiendishGhoul wrote: Uh, no, I'll stand up for the Nexus' users here (or maybe the moderators, not sure), because there's a big difference between saying that you've uninstalled or unendorsed or whatever, versus some of the really extremely virulent language I was reading over on Steam.
TenderHooligan wrote: @aceventura

Yeah. I get people being mad, but I saw those comments on W&C and felt disgusted. If those are the sort of entitled and immature people most mod authors have to deal with all the time, then I can understand why they'd want some $ for it.

@FiendishGhoul...I've seen some of the virulent language here on Nexus as well. Certainly not as bad as on Steam, but it's there. Expect to see a lot of ban reports coming in today.
Lordkabal26 wrote: I'm not gonna rip on him but I don't agree with his decision to lock it behind a paywall. He's not gonna have as many people accessing it if he released it for free here as well. And with less people using it there will be more bugs going undetected.

I for one won't be buying his mods, or ANY mods on the workshop if there isn't a corresponding release here on the Nexus as I don't use workshop mods, I download from here in most cases as I make use of the Nexus categories in Mod Organizer to keep my mods organized
NoDebate wrote: Folks are pissed. The ability to spew what you like is very easy on the internet. That said, the execution may be off base but, the message is clear.
SvarogNL wrote: Well.. Wet and Cold uses SKSE assets en have no persmission to be Sold.

It's a major flaw in the system.
About68cows wrote: Yeah the people who use the workshop clearly don't want to actually do something about it.
Darkieus wrote: The only thing I did on the W&C is say I'm unendorsing and uninstalling. I don't support their behavior, especially when they have tidbits of other people's work inside their own.
bootrocket wrote: @ Darkieus: And your point is EXACTLY the legal "fly in the ointment." This is going to be interesting. Beth will argue that they do not have to pay for the other tidbits because they weren't copyrighted and they were offered in the public domain. Might get messy. I hope Dark0ne has a copyright or two in place.
Azradun wrote: Wait until you see the comments from actual users (customers), who bought the mod and something didn't work...

But what is the worst here is paid mods based on other people's work. Like animations requiring FNIS or SKSE. This is an extremely bad precedent, because in the future either:

- people will release only paid for frameworks
- people will profit from someone else's free frameworks

Both things will have capacity to end modding community as we know it.
Vaeron wrote: The problem is just, that this will end up in people reposting mods all over the internet at mega and other hosters.

People will not buy stuff from Workshop ever if they are used to MO or NMM.
So they just keep rehosting it into oblivion and nobody is gonna stop them.

The reason this did not happen at all is just, that almost any mod was available at Nexus anyways.

You see that at reddit. IF you want a mod that is deleted you get it no matter what.
Somebody has it and will share it if Mod Authors get greedy.

Thats how ne net works.

Problem is that this will spread also harmful stuff all around.

I was wondering about that SvarogNL, and Azradun, thanks for the insight..... Edited by Aedred

@Dark0ne

There seems to be a huge amount of doomsayers from this, but maybe it's not the worst idea in the world. Maybe you should make a paywall option available to modders here. You could very easily offer them a better cut than Steam is. If a mod was priced the same as Steam people would be more likely to download it from here for a multitude of reasons. Don't get me wrong, I'm a leftist all the way, and I love the sharing going on in this community. However it is possible that remuneration for modders could lead to us getting some awesome mods that we otherwise wouldn't have. Mods from people with a professional skill set that don't necessarily have free time to work on mods, but maybe could expend some of their working hours towards modding if they'd end up making some money doing so.

In response to post #24562404. #24562524, #24562599, #24562684, #24562874, #24563024, #24563444, #24563909, #24564214, #24564324 are all replies on the same post.

ramccoid wrote:
AmraHobbes wrote: Thank you. Your mods are some of the best.
HrvojeRaznjevic wrote: ramccoid, I use almost all of your mods. Keep up the good work mate
Elianora wrote: Same here.
FiendishGhoul wrote: Kudos to both of you, Elianora & Ramccoid!
NoDebate wrote: Thank you (to you both - and anyone else who continues modding for the sake of modding).
EWM333 wrote: Thanks ramccoid and Elianora for all the hard work you have both done with your mods it does go very appreciated
darkroses wrote: thanks you 3 :)
AvengerJikir wrote: Inb4 £29.99 Dust; with extra shininess for only 10p more!

In all seriousness; Thank you. Your mods are amazing; improving the textures some people would consider small but which actually have a massive impact on Skyrim's visuals as they are so frequent in the world.
windu190 wrote: You rock sir! :)

Much respect, any modder who says no to this has earned it.

In response to post #24562404. #24562524, #24562599, #24562684, #24562874, #24563024, #24563444, #24563909, #24564214, #24564324, #24564709 are all replies on the same post.

ramccoid wrote:
AmraHobbes wrote: Thank you. Your mods are some of the best.
HrvojeRaznjevic wrote: ramccoid, I use almost all of your mods. Keep up the good work mate
Elianora wrote: Same here.
FiendishGhoul wrote: Kudos to both of you, Elianora & Ramccoid!
NoDebate wrote: Thank you (to you both - and anyone else who continues modding for the sake of modding).
EWM333 wrote: Thanks ramccoid and Elianora for all the hard work you have both done with your mods it does go very appreciated
darkroses wrote: thanks you 3 :)
AvengerJikir wrote: Inb4 £29.99 Dust; with extra shininess for only 10p more!

In all seriousness; Thank you. Your mods are amazing; improving the textures some people would consider small but which actually have a massive impact on Skyrim's visuals as they are so frequent in the world.
windu190 wrote: You rock sir! :)
Xtyfe00 wrote: Much respect, any modder who says no to this has earned it.

Thank you all, I appreciate it loads. I like being part of this community and I love the comments of enjoyment of my mods, what price could I place on that.

If I can make your game playing more fun then I'm rewarded enough and it was all completely worth it.

I know mod developers deserve money but it's unreasonable to ask for money for something that may or may not even work for you. I go through hundreds of mods picking out ones I like and don't like in my own personal game. How do people expect me to find stuff I want without letting me try it first? I'm not buying texture packs or overhauls or weapons and etc if I can't even tell if it won't look out of place or conflict with my already decided on mods. If I buy lets say a weather mod to put on my game and it flat out breaks my game than it's purely wasted money isn't it? It completely discourages me from trying anything paid for whether it deserves my praise or not. If I were to buy every mod in my load order and counting the ones I have set up for alternative playthroughs I'd be out a lot of money. Especially since people are asking dollars for single items like swords. Once again I know people who put time and work into crafting amazing mods deserve money but the prices should be up the community at the very least. If a single sword costs $1 in a game worth $20 and already full of swords than bigger mods that actually add stuff to the world will be priced higher than official DLC and game they probably take their assets from at this rate. If anything this has completely divided our community and may even begin the decline of amazing games because without mods many games are only worth one or two playthroughs at most. Edited by Jakal256

In response to post #24563144. #24563824, #24564049 are all replies on the same post.

thatduder99 wrote:
HeavyDude wrote: Why would you apply that logic on the Nexus but not apply it on the Workshop? Valve profits from the Workshop too, they profit even more now.
sammygm wrote: How much money does it cost to create ingame content? Nothing! Absolutely nothing! Whilst Dark0ne has to actually pay for servers and bandwidth.

So you created an account just to comment here?
Are you one of the Steam PR guys?
What's it like to feel the Shitstorm?
Also the ads here are pretty reasonable in my book.

In any case if Steam would give 100% of the money to the mod authors it wouldn't be as bad. But yeah Steam doesn't give a single f*#@ about the modders, all they care about is their share of the additional revenue.

My oppinion is this:

I would realy enjoy getting a few bucks of my mods because they do take alot of time you know and an apriciation like that would be great. Even if it would be like a doller per person I wouldve made 6000 dollars with my last mod which is unargubaly awsome :D But it would never come to my mind making it conditional to pay or else you wont get it. I think if you apriciate my stuff and would like to give me a dollar or whatever great if you dont also great :D but something like that could be handled via paypal or whatever and doesnt need steam stepping in.

This could indeed push people into realsing updates and such on steam for cash only which is realy sad. But dont worry there will always be people like me doing modding because they enjoy it and enjoy when other people enjoy there stuff. And dont do it for the $$$ so I think all in all this will have no great impact.