Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

In response to post #24599664. #24599799, #24599829 are all replies on the same post.

G18AkimboNoob wrote:
Eiries wrote:
However, The Nexus is a listed Service Provider on the curated Workshop, and they are profiting from Workshop sales. They are saying one thing, while simultaneously taking their cut.

I don't see how mentioning "these guys have mods too" constitutes Nexusmods making money off of this (except through traffic which he has no control over.)

Citation from bossman requested.
LtRhapthorne wrote: So Dark0ne is being as greedy as Valve

Unless he personally responds to these accusations, I'm going to ask for my account to be banned. I don't have local copies of my mods. They'll be dead forever.

Yeah, Dark0ne needs to post about this.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24599274. #24599654, #24599739, #24599814 are all replies on the same post.

PickleJar wrote:
Jawsuleashed wrote: If you read carefully, a lot of comments are "OMG, Valve and Beth are so wrong, I'm gonna buy a premium membership and donate a lot of money to the Nexus..." You could understand why the Nexus would have supported such a crappy idea by being being the third party who is able to get a little cut, just like how the Thalmor are supporting the Stormcloaks.
PickleJar wrote: Why is this not mentioned in the news post?
Razgriz009 wrote: I would like some clarification on this as well

I came here looking for a response to this as well.

In response to post #24598619.

LeianneG wrote:

THIS

I agree 100% that Bethesda may license the CK. I said it before and I'll say it again; this whole problem started when "donations" popped up. Onc3e the gaming companies saw that users were willing to pay for mods, and donations are a form of payment then it was obvious to the rest of us who understand law and business that they (the gaming companies) would protect their products.

If anyone thinks that they own their mods or that you can collect money for mods that use their (the gaming companies) platform (the game itself) then you are absolutely crazy. the gaming companies are the ones who invested the money and it is they who are creating the jobs! And that is what counts. Jobs... Governments will change the laws and support the companies that create jobs in their states and countries.

In the future people will buy mods like they do music from the iStore. There will always be free mods available so there will always be a Nexusmods however, the real talented modders that create new world spaces and quests, or top notch armour models and massive game change mods will test their alpha and beta mods for free on the Nexusmods sites and then move their final updated and improved mod to Steam.

It is inevitable...

Ask any old timer what they feel about the kids who think they own their mods... they used to think they were crazy and disliked it. Now those kids are adults and spoiled the modding commmunity and so we are now left with a new generation who not only beleive that they own their mods, that they can pay modders a 'tip" or "donation" without consequence.

I don't like it but I have to say, "I told you so."

In response to post #24599759.

CiderMuffin wrote:

since it's not letting me edit (probably my connection's fault) I'm going to add in another thought to the Patreon idea. It could also be a way to encourage mod makers to finish a mod they promised as people can stop supporting the mod maker if no news on the project is announced within a certain timespan or they feel the project isn't going to end with how they like it.

Patreon just seems a lot more versatile then a one-time donation.

In response to post #24599479.

camer823 wrote:

I am ranting for hours now, not getting banned. :D

You need to know, how to do it properly. Only pointing out the numbers:

- 45% for Zenimax for doing nothing at all.
- 30% for Steam, doing nothing than deliver the mods.
- 25 % for the hard working modder. Before taxes, of course. 20% VAT for europeans.

Are simple facts. No need to get banned for that. ;)

Edited by mkess

In response to post #24599664. #24599799, #24599829, #24599839 are all replies on the same post.

G18AkimboNoob wrote:
Eiries wrote:
However, The Nexus is a listed Service Provider on the curated Workshop, and they are profiting from Workshop sales. They are saying one thing, while simultaneously taking their cut.

I don't see how mentioning "these guys have mods too" constitutes Nexusmods making money off of this (except through traffic which he has no control over.)

LtRhapthorne wrote: So Dark0ne is being as greedy as Valve

Unless he personally responds to these accusations, I'm going to ask for my account to be banned. I don't have local copies of my mods. They'll be dead forever.
PickleJar wrote: Yeah, Dark0ne needs to post about this.

No bleeding joke on that. A statement regarding what Chesko revealed is required to begin with, because actual money has likely flowed here over Chesko's (and Fores' ) work with no indication of such. Edited by LoneHP

In response to post #24598619. #24599869 is also a reply to the same post.

LeianneG wrote:
Psijonica wrote: THIS

I agree 100% that Bethesda may license the CK. I said it before and I'll say it again; this whole problem started when "donations" popped up. Onc3e the gaming companies saw that users were willing to pay for mods, and donations are a form of payment then it was obvious to the rest of us who understand law and business that they (the gaming companies) would protect their products.

If anyone thinks that they own their mods or that you can collect money for mods that use their (the gaming companies) platform (the game itself) then you are absolutely crazy. the gaming companies are the ones who invested the money and it is they who are creating the jobs! And that is what counts. Jobs... Governments will change the laws and support the companies that create jobs in their states and countries.

In the future people will buy mods like they do music from the iStore. There will always be free mods available so there will always be a Nexusmods however, the real talented modders that create new world spaces and quests, or top notch armour models and massive game change mods will test their alpha and beta mods for free on the Nexusmods sites and then move their final updated and improved mod to Steam.

It is inevitable...

Ask any old timer what they feel about the kids who think they own their mods... they used to think they were crazy and disliked it. Now those kids are adults and spoiled the modding commmunity and so we are now left with a new generation who not only beleive that they own their mods, that they can pay modders a 'tip" or "donation" without consequence.

I don't like it but I have to say, "I told you so."

Actually from the looks of it most of those kinds of modders (trainwiz, the mannimarco team, Beyond skyrim, Elianora.) disapprove of this practice greatly and it could follow suit with even more world-building mod teams and modders. Sure there are going to be those ones that believe they should get paid for their work but in the end the chances of a big mod like Falskaar or Wrymstooth would end up doing worse on the paid mod market as their content is so big it would take over the refund period to do everything they offer and for players to see if the mod causes problems. Edited by CiderMuffin