Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

In response to post #24608314. #24608419, #24608604 are all replies on the same post.

mineturtule wrote:
Rifleman556 wrote: Do people not understand Legal reasons?
mineturtule wrote: What legal reason is there to say "free mods free mods" then taking money from the selling of the mods? I think that's called playing the ends against the middle.Or simply being two faced.

More to the point, does NO ONE read anything other than bolded text? Dark0ne himself responds ON THAT REDDIT POST. I'm not even going to paste the info back again, I have done that half a dozen times so far. Go and read it yourself please.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24608314. #24608419, #24608604, #24608679 are all replies on the same post.

mineturtule wrote:
mineturtule wrote: What legal reason is there to say "free mods free mods" then taking money from the selling of the mods? I think that's called playing the ends against the middle.Or simply being two faced.
bigdeano89 wrote: More to the point, does NO ONE read anything other than bolded text? Dark0ne himself responds ON THAT REDDIT POST. I'm not even going to paste the info back again, I have done that half a dozen times so far. Go and read it yourself please.

I've seen that theres the option for the modder to list people who helped them create the mod so they get a portion of the money from sales. So Nexus doesn't get a portion of all sales, but gets something if the modder lists them.

IMO I don't see a problem with this (not that I'm supporting anything Valvthesda is doing with paid mods, I'm not). If a modder wants to tip Nexus to show support, I'm for it.

I think I saw it comes out of Valvthesda's cut, not the modder's, which is even better if true.

But to reiterate, I don't support the entire scheme in any way, shape or form. I'm afraid Valvthesda will continue this no matter how much noise users make, however.

In response to post #24608314. #24608419, #24608604, #24608679, #24608689 are all replies on the same post.

mineturtule wrote:
bigdeano89 wrote: More to the point, does NO ONE read anything other than bolded text? Dark0ne himself responds ON THAT REDDIT POST. I'm not even going to paste the info back again, I have done that half a dozen times so far. Go and read it yourself please.
Draugas wrote: I've seen that theres the option for the modder to list people who helped them create the mod so they get a portion of the money from sales. So Nexus doesn't get a portion of all sales, but gets something if the modder lists them.

IMO I don't see a problem with this (not that I'm supporting anything Valvthesda is doing with paid mods, I'm not). If a modder wants to tip Nexus to show support, I'm for it.

I think I saw it comes out of Valvthesda's cut, not the modder's, which is even better if true.

But to reiterate, I don't support the entire scheme in any way, shape or form. I'm afraid Valvthesda will continue this no matter how much noise users make, however.

It's a DONATION, he isn't forcing modders to credit the Nexus as a source provider the mod makers are doing that themselves. He also stated NUMEROUS TIMES that he isn't opposed to the idea of modders making money off of their work it's just not his vision for the Nexus.

Don't listen to Chesko as they are having a temper tantrum because they messed up and want to make others suffer. Edited by CiderMuffin

So Beth got my money for the game they got my money for the DLC and now because I'm still playing it they want my money for mods they haven't made. Making mods is a hobby its not done for commercial reasons and its this freedom from commercial concerns that allows modders the creative freedom we see in the mods for skyrim. This I believe is what's allowed skyrim mods to flourish and its what allows mods to develop ,if they become pay for then we will see a mod being knocked out then become unsupported with no further development because the author will be knocking out the next one. Chesko made that point and he's right also a games industry buzzword comes to mind and that word is assessable basically it means appeal to the broadest possible audience for the best financial return for the least amount of time and effort. Modders are human I believe that if this pay for mods thing takes off it will inevitably lead to a drop in the quality of mods as money rather than a passion for quality modding will take over. Am I being selfish wanting great mods without being forced to pay I don't believe so. If its a hobby then just doing it must be a reward in its self if people love a mod comment on how good it is and endorse it then surly that's a reward to. If someone wants to get into the gaming industry then some quality mods in your c.v are a great thing to have. Even though I'm am fully apposed to pay for mods I do agree that there should be some kind of make a donation to the author box/button on the description page so people can voluntary donate if they so wish.

In response to post #24608319. #24608409 is also a reply to the same post.

XxTOXIICxKiNGxX wrote:
Rifleman556 wrote: The sad truth?

Yes, the sad truth. You have somebody who is stuck in the middle of all of this and is now parading as a white knight for free modding and yet he is directly profiting off all of this madness. It's not a major profit by any means, it's actually only 1-5% depending on the mods selected service providers but it's still a profit. Nexus is definitely the lowest on the totem poll of people to blame in all of this but they are still on there.

Service Providers:
-Blender Foundation
-Mod Configuration Menu
-Nexus Mods
-AFK Mods
-Polycount

Why are FNIS & SKSE among many others, not listed as service providers?
These are the two biggest modding frameworks in the entire community and they are not making any profits whatsoever. It's upsetting that a hosting provider is making money before the actual creators are.

Feel free to read Dark0ne's reply on Reddit:

In response to post #24608229. #24608459, #24609039 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote:
Rifleman556 wrote: The lack of people understanding this is astounding.
anonownsyou wrote: It's not hypocritical, it's just an opportunity for mod authors using the workshop to remember who their friends are, and make Valve give a little something back to those friends out of their own cut. It's very likely that if it weren't for the Nexus, those authors would not be in a position to sell their content in the first place (everyone deserves a pat on the back and some beef jerky for their work). It's really just a small courtesy to the Nexus, and if it helps even just a little bit to keep the Nexus healthy and free, then all the better. So long as it doesn't come with any kind of 'kiss our ass, love Valve' condition, then it's not blood money.

Thanks for continuing to link it to people who are reading Chesko's good bye Reddit post without seeing my response. My feelings are that writing a full blown news post on the topic would make things worse, not better, at this time. I'll do it if it's really necessary, but I think for now, my responses in that Reddit thread have helped to clarify the situation.

I'm thankful to the couple of mod authors out of the current ones on the paywall site who have selected the Nexus as a Service Provider, and I promise/pledge to them that the money raised will be going towards paying for a new forum server setup. It definitely won't cover it, not by a long shot, but it's a nice little boost to that kitty fund. So thank you to them.

Obviously Chesko wanted to lose some flak by trying to point a finger at me. That's fine, he's had a rough time. But it was hardly helpful. Edited by Dark0ne

In response to post #24605154. #24607209, #24607279, #24607314, #24607404, #24607539, #24607559, #24607699, #24607944, #24608144, #24608299, #24608534, #24608649, #24608664 are all replies on the same post.

ff7legend wrote:
aimlesswander wrote: very true but valve/steam has caught on to the petition and a lot of the people who have signed it have had there accounts banned. 4 of my friends signed it and lost there accounts . there was no slander or foul language towards valve just going against them they got there accounts banned
CiderMuffin wrote: I find that hard to believe is the thing, that just sounds like the kind of stuff people say to make Valve look way worse.
toggsuk wrote: Seriously? Surely that is illegal, that just seems so wrong.
Rifleman556 wrote: That is illegal, if they can find no reason for being banned, then its a violation of Freedom of Information Act and their terms of service.
CiderMuffin wrote: The reason I'm calling BS on the account thing is, how does Valve know who signed and who didn't? How can you ban someone from steam when you don't know who signed the petition? Change.org doesn't display people's email addresses and unless you use your steam name they have literally no way of finding out if you signed or not. At most I can see people getting banned on community by overzealous mods but full account bans? I doubt it.
troggleballs wrote: If this is true it's criminal.

And "gamergate" was the supposedly biggest gaming controversy last year! Hah! This year sure upped the ante and quickly.
Lordkabal26 wrote: Most likely they had their posting privileges revokes in the discussions due to spamming the link. Spam is a very valid reason for a posting ban.
CiderMuffin wrote: Yea, but when people hear banning they think stuff like losing their account like you lose it if you cheat in a multiplayer game or steal items by hacking an account. Being banned from community isn't really the same.
salvador33 wrote: I was just contacted by Valve's lawyer. He stated that they will not remove the content unless "legally compelled to do so", and that they will make the file visible only to currently paid users. I am beside myself with anger right now as they try to tell me what I can do with my own content. The copyright situation with Art of the Catch is shades of grey, but in Arissa 2.0's case, it's black and white; that's 100% mine and Griefmyst's work, and I should be able to dictate its distribution if I so choose. Unbelievable.

Draugas wrote: This is something modders need to pay attention to before using Steam for paid mods. Steam taking permanent possession of their work.
TheHumanPerson wrote: That cannot be true, there is nothing that Valve can use to discover your identity unless your real name is on Steam (and if it is, why? Take it off.)

Additionally, it is not against Steams EULA in any way.
CiderMuffin wrote: Like I said, if people are getting banned from the community it's probably an overzealous mod that should be discovered and then de-modded.
bpgisme wrote: My account is not banned. I signed.

I got banned from steam discussions when I posted that petition there.

In response to post #24608229. #24608459, #24608944 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote:
Dark0ne wrote: Thanks for continuing to link it to people who are reading Chesko's good bye Reddit post without seeing my response. My feelings are that writing a full blown news post on the topic would make things worse, not better, at this time. I'll do it if it's really necessary, but I think for now, my responses in that Reddit thread have helped to clarify the situation.

Obviously Chesko wanted to lose some flak by trying to point a finger at me. That's fine, he's had a rough time. But it was hardly helpful.

It's not hypocritical, it's just an opportunity for mod authors using the workshop to remember who their friends are, and make Valve give a little something back to those friends out of their own cut. It's very likely that if it weren't for the Nexus, those authors would not be in a position to sell their content in the first place (everyone deserves a pat on the back and some beef jerky for their work). It's really just a small courtesy to the Nexus, and if it helps even just a little bit to keep the Nexus healthy and free, then all the better. So long as it doesn't come with any kind of 'kiss our ass, love Valve' condition, then it's not blood money.

In response to post #24608319. #24608409, #24608934 are all replies on the same post.

XxTOXIICxKiNGxX wrote:
Rifleman556 wrote: The sad truth?
XxTOXIICxKiNGxX wrote: Yes, the sad truth. You have somebody who is stuck in the middle of all of this and is now parading as a white knight for free modding and yet he is directly profiting off all of this madness. It's not a major profit by any means, it's actually only 1-5% depending on the mods selected service providers but it's still a profit. Nexus is definitely the lowest on the totem poll of people to blame in all of this but they are still on there.

Service Providers:
-Blender Foundation
-Mod Configuration Menu
-Nexus Mods
-AFK Mods
-Polycount

Why are FNIS & SKSE among many others, not listed as service providers?
These are the two biggest modding frameworks in the entire community and they are not making any profits whatsoever. It's upsetting that a hosting provider is making money before the actual creators are.

Feel free to read Dark0ne's reply on Reddit:

Also how about TES5Edit, Mod Organizer, Wrye Bash, BOSS/LOOT, Texture Pack Combiner and the various hair and body mods? CBBE & UNP among many more are crucial pieces to every single follower mod out there.

In response to post #24608229. #24608459, #24608944, #24609039 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote:
Dark0ne wrote: Thanks for continuing to link it to people who are reading Chesko's good bye Reddit post without seeing my response. My feelings are that writing a full blown news post on the topic would make things worse, not better, at this time. I'll do it if it's really necessary, but I think for now, my responses in that Reddit thread have helped to clarify the situation.

I'm thankful to the couple of mod authors out of the current ones on the paywall site who have selected the Nexus as a Service Provider, and I promise/pledge to them that the money raised will be going towards paying for a new forum server setup. It definitely won't cover it, not by a long shot, but it's a nice little boost to that kitty fund. So thank you to them.

Obviously Chesko wanted to lose some flak by trying to point a finger at me. That's fine, he's had a rough time. But it was hardly helpful.
anonownsyou wrote: It's not hypocritical, it's just an opportunity for mod authors using the workshop to remember who their friends are, and make Valve give a little something back to those friends out of their own cut. It's very likely that if it weren't for the Nexus, those authors would not be in a position to sell their content in the first place (everyone deserves a pat on the back and some beef jerky for their work). It's really just a small courtesy to the Nexus, and if it helps even just a little bit to keep the Nexus healthy and free, then all the better. So long as it doesn't come with any kind of 'kiss our ass, love Valve' condition, then it's not blood money.

Still, it should have been brought up in one of the articles only for the sake of transparency.