Quick updates to the site, money money money edition

Dark0ne

In response to post #24608319. #24608409, #24608934, #24609194 are all replies on the same post.

XxTOXIICxKiNGxX wrote:
Rifleman556 wrote: The sad truth?
XxTOXIICxKiNGxX wrote: Yes, the sad truth. You have somebody who is stuck in the middle of all of this and is now parading as a white knight for free modding and yet he is directly profiting off all of this madness. It's not a major profit by any means, it's actually only 1-5% depending on the mods selected service providers but it's still a profit. Nexus is definitely the lowest on the totem poll of people to blame in all of this but they are still on there.

Service Providers:
-Blender Foundation
-Mod Configuration Menu
-Nexus Mods
-AFK Mods
-Polycount

Why are FNIS & SKSE among many others, not listed as service providers?
These are the two biggest modding frameworks in the entire community and they are not making any profits whatsoever. It's upsetting that a hosting provider is making money before the actual creators are.

Feel free to read Dark0ne's reply on Reddit:
XxTOXIICxKiNGxX wrote: Also how about TES5Edit, Mod Organizer, Wrye Bash, BOSS/LOOT, Texture Pack Combiner and the various hair and body mods? CBBE & UNP among many more are crucial pieces to every single follower mod out there.

Go back and reread Dark0nes post on Cheskos reddit post before you go blabbing about ethics please. I am honestly getting more annoyed at you people immediately jumping on misinformation to attack Nexus with. Its a DONATION that mod authors can CHOOSE to give between 1 and 5% to Nexus as a thank you for this site helping build said mod and author. It isnt mandatory, nor is Nexus making profit on it. Its exactly the same as though we donated to them here.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24608319. #24608409, #24608934, #24609194, #24609304 are all replies on the same post.

XxTOXIICxKiNGxX wrote:
XxTOXIICxKiNGxX wrote: Yes, the sad truth. You have somebody who is stuck in the middle of all of this and is now parading as a white knight for free modding and yet he is directly profiting off all of this madness. It's not a major profit by any means, it's actually only 1-5% depending on the mods selected service providers but it's still a profit. Nexus is definitely the lowest on the totem poll of people to blame in all of this but they are still on there.

Service Providers:
-Blender Foundation
-Mod Configuration Menu
-Nexus Mods
-AFK Mods
-Polycount

These are the two biggest modding frameworks in the entire community and they are not making any profits whatsoever. It's upsetting that a hosting provider is making money before the actual creators are.

XxTOXIICxKiNGxX wrote: Also how about TES5Edit, Mod Organizer, Wrye Bash, BOSS/LOOT, Texture Pack Combiner and the various hair and body mods? CBBE & UNP among many more are crucial pieces to every single follower mod out there.
bigdeano89 wrote: Go back and reread Dark0nes post on Cheskos reddit post before you go blabbing about ethics please. I am honestly getting more annoyed at you people immediately jumping on misinformation to attack Nexus with. Its a DONATION that mod authors can CHOOSE to give between 1 and 5% to Nexus as a thank you for this site helping build said mod and author. It isnt mandatory, nor is Nexus making profit on it. Its exactly the same as though we donated to them here.

It's a donation. It's a way for a modder to give back to the community that helped foster his work. Nexus isn't profiting off of this any more than if the modder in question just decided to donate a portion of his earnings to the site instead of having Valve do it on his behalf.

Unless a modder requests it, the Nexus gets nothing. This is hardly a case of Valve's hand in the Nexus' wallet.

"One of my main issues, to this day, with mod pages is how awful some file page descriptions are. "

Thank the lord people will hopefully open there eyes a bit more.

In response to post #24608319. #24608409, #24608934, #24609194, #24609304, #24609334 are all replies on the same post.

XxTOXIICxKiNGxX wrote:

Service Providers:
-Blender Foundation
-Mod Configuration Menu
-Nexus Mods
-AFK Mods
-Polycount

bigdeano89 wrote: Go back and reread Dark0nes post on Cheskos reddit post before you go blabbing about ethics please. I am honestly getting more annoyed at you people immediately jumping on misinformation to attack Nexus with. Its a DONATION that mod authors can CHOOSE to give between 1 and 5% to Nexus as a thank you for this site helping build said mod and author. It isnt mandatory, nor is Nexus making profit on it. Its exactly the same as though we donated to them here.
erlkonnig1 wrote: It's a donation. It's a way for a modder to give back to the community that helped foster his work. Nexus isn't profiting off of this any more than if the modder in question just decided to donate a portion of his earnings to the site instead of having Valve do it on his behalf.

Unless a modder requests it, the Nexus gets nothing. This is hardly a case of Valve's hand in the Nexus' wallet.

1-3% cut isn't exactly going to be millions mate.

In response to post #24608229. #24608459, #24608944, #24609039, #24609259 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote:
Rifleman556 wrote: The lack of people understanding this is astounding.
Dark0ne wrote: Thanks for continuing to link it to people who are reading Chesko's good bye Reddit post without seeing my response. My feelings are that writing a full blown news post on the topic would make things worse, not better, at this time. I'll do it if it's really necessary, but I think for now, my responses in that Reddit thread have helped to clarify the situation.

I'm thankful to the couple of mod authors out of the current ones on the paywall site who have selected the Nexus as a Service Provider, and I promise/pledge to them that the money raised will be going towards paying for a new forum server setup. It definitely won't cover it, not by a long shot, but it's a nice little boost to that kitty fund. So thank you to them.

Obviously Chesko wanted to lose some flak by trying to point a finger at me. That's fine, he's had a rough time. But it was hardly helpful.
anonownsyou wrote: It's not hypocritical, it's just an opportunity for mod authors using the workshop to remember who their friends are, and make Valve give a little something back to those friends out of their own cut. It's very likely that if it weren't for the Nexus, those authors would not be in a position to sell their content in the first place (everyone deserves a pat on the back and some beef jerky for their work). It's really just a small courtesy to the Nexus, and if it helps even just a little bit to keep the Nexus healthy and free, then all the better. So long as it doesn't come with any kind of 'kiss our ass, love Valve' condition, then it's not blood money.
Kentsui wrote:

Still, it should have been brought up in one of the articles only for the sake of transparency.

Exactly anonownsyou. You put it better than I did.

I also want to thank Dark0ne for everything. Keep your chin and the hard work up.

In response to post #24608319. #24608409, #24608934, #24609194, #24609304, #24609334, #24609429 are all replies on the same post.

XxTOXIICxKiNGxX wrote:

Service Providers:
-Blender Foundation
-Mod Configuration Menu
-Nexus Mods
-AFK Mods
-Polycount

erlkonnig1 wrote: It's a donation. It's a way for a modder to give back to the community that helped foster his work. Nexus isn't profiting off of this any more than if the modder in question just decided to donate a portion of his earnings to the site instead of having Valve do it on his behalf.

JoeyLock wrote: 1-3% cut isn't exactly going to be millions mate.

Thank you, someone who actually knows whats going on erl. Dark0ne seriously just needs to post an update explaining this so we can stop constantly defending him from Cheskos obnoxious tantrum.

In response to post #24608229. #24608459, #24608944, #24609039, #24609259, #24609439 are all replies on the same post.

WightMage wrote:
Rifleman556 wrote: The lack of people understanding this is astounding.
Dark0ne wrote: Thanks for continuing to link it to people who are reading Chesko's good bye Reddit post without seeing my response. My feelings are that writing a full blown news post on the topic would make things worse, not better, at this time. I'll do it if it's really necessary, but I think for now, my responses in that Reddit thread have helped to clarify the situation.

I'm thankful to the couple of mod authors out of the current ones on the paywall site who have selected the Nexus as a Service Provider, and I promise/pledge to them that the money raised will be going towards paying for a new forum server setup. It definitely won't cover it, not by a long shot, but it's a nice little boost to that kitty fund. So thank you to them.

Obviously Chesko wanted to lose some flak by trying to point a finger at me. That's fine, he's had a rough time. But it was hardly helpful.
anonownsyou wrote: It's not hypocritical, it's just an opportunity for mod authors using the workshop to remember who their friends are, and make Valve give a little something back to those friends out of their own cut. It's very likely that if it weren't for the Nexus, those authors would not be in a position to sell their content in the first place (everyone deserves a pat on the back and some beef jerky for their work). It's really just a small courtesy to the Nexus, and if it helps even just a little bit to keep the Nexus healthy and free, then all the better. So long as it doesn't come with any kind of 'kiss our ass, love Valve' condition, then it's not blood money.
Kentsui wrote:

Still, it should have been brought up in one of the articles only for the sake of transparency.
Draugas wrote: Exactly anonownsyou. You put it better than I did.

I also want to thank Dark0ne for everything. Keep your chin and the hard work up.

The fact that its chump change is what makes it hurt more in my opinion. If it doesn't affect the bottom line it should've been an easy choice to turn down.

How revenue should be shared properly:

-Mod Author: 50%

-Bethesda: 25%

-Valve: 15%

Service Providers: 10%

-Blender (Donation)

-Autodesk (Donation)

-Fores New Idle's in Skyrim (Donation)

-Skyrim Script Extender (Donation)

-Mod Configuration Menu (Donation)

-TES5Edit (Donation)

-BOSS/LOOT (Donation)

-CBBE (Donation)

-UNP (Donation)

-Apachi Sky Hair (Donation)

-Eyes of Beauty (Donation)

-Unnofficial Skyrim Patches (Donation)

-Nexus Mods (Donation)

-ModDB (Donation)

-AFK Mods (Donation)

-Polycount (Donation)

Essential Mods DESERVE A PROFIT!

Edited by Guest

STEP will follow the Nexus philosophy on this topic by continuing to remain and support free and open modding, paying in time and frustration rather than in dollars and cents. If mod authors want to earn some $ for their mods, that is their prerogative; however, STEP will sadly decline in supporting these mods in our guides and wiki. We'll support anything on the forums though, given we are able without having to purchase pay-for mods.

STEP and its affiliates will not be collecting anything other than that which is freely given.

Let's see how this whole powder keg blows ...