Steam Service Providers, and some how needing to clarify the Nexus stance again

Dark0ne

i think the idea of a price tag on mods is a little gross, not that im saying that modder should not be paid, they dam should, but not with a price tag that turns their mod in to a DLC and saddles the author with the responsibility of a software developer to keep the mod (regardless of size) updated and bug free, while dealing with compatibility issues and such, i think i would prefer an pop up ad on steam when i click a subscribe button, show me a ad, then go away, thus giving ad revenue to the mod i just installed to the modder with out all the stings and legal issues that will no doubt arise from this.

That's one reason i set up my Patreon so long ago, all my content is free, mod tutorials, lets plays, mods, toy reviews and customs. But outside of these week like bouts of illness i really dont have the time to give people the content they want leading to, at times, weeks or even months of no content as school (and work) need to come first, but if my Patreon takes off that means i can focus my time on making more content instead of doing at the tails of a semester or when i'm bed riden for 2 weeks)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24647324. #24647589 is also a reply to the same post.

ArmoredTroll wrote:
Azradun wrote: I would not.

They would use lawyers to take that site down, to protect the image of their "products" (paid mods). That would show how much they care about "Content Creators" and supporting them.

I'm pretty sure they already know about it. Seeing as some if not all of their employees play PC games and are aware of some if not all of the modding sites. I don't believe they have that kind of power though seeing as I have found many worse things involving copyrighted characters on the internet that has been around since near the beginning of the internet.

In response to post #24659374. #24659484 is also a reply to the same post.

Plutori wrote:
WightMage wrote: Worry not, you'd be surprised at the number of people stating their intention to keep their mods free, and continuing to do so.

Yeah theres a lot of people who want to continue doing it for free FOR NOW

But what about by the time TES6 comes out? Will people who are willing to do it for free still be in the majority? TES7?

I'm not worried about tomorrow. I'm worried about the next few years. Maybe Steam Workshop replaces Nexus as the primary place for modders, because why wouldn't they go there? Moneylol.

After giving this much thought during my work day, I've come to the following decision. I'm putting all my modding work on hold, I'm not playing any Bethesda games (vanilla or modded), and in fact I'm not touching anything related to Steam/Valve or Bethesda/Zenimax at all until I see how this all falls out.

*If* it goes as I fear it will, then I will at that time permanently cease modding any Bethesda/Zenimax games, and cease purchasing and playing them as well. This will of course include anything for sale through Steam/Valve. I will not pull my mods from the Nexus, nor will they be uploaded anywhere else (that's just not fair to anyone using my mods currently or anyone who might want to in the future).

Luckily, everything I've made so far is in a stable and finished state already. This will just mean that any planned updates or new mods will not happen. I hope it doesn't come to that, for many reasons.

In response to post #24659374. #24659484, #24659604 are all replies on the same post.

Plutori wrote:
WightMage wrote: Worry not, you'd be surprised at the number of people stating their intention to keep their mods free, and continuing to do so.
Plutori wrote: Yeah theres a lot of people who want to continue doing it for free FOR NOW

But what about by the time TES6 comes out? Will people who are willing to do it for free still be in the majority? TES7?

I'm not worried about tomorrow. I'm worried about the next few years. Maybe Steam Workshop replaces Nexus as the primary place for modders, because why wouldn't they go there? Moneylol.

Yeah, i'm seeing more and more that the passion is still there for most, and those that are making new versions stated they wouldnt have made any more without this chance, hell, Chesko and Isoku were only doing Steam as timed exclusives, they werent even permanent, but in the heat of it all, people didnt notice or even care I suppose. Shame, because it pushed 2 amazing mod author out of the modding scene, possibly for good.

In the end, people wont flock to Nexus. Any good author or modder knows how crappy steams auto update installs are, a tool like NMM is needed to sort the mess a mod install leaves behind. Steams way is too invasive, and is prone to breaking your game basically. Edited by bigdeano89

The "fight" is already over. Enjoy Fallout 4 and TES 6 having their patches and microtransactions being farmed out to the players to make. Even if Skyrim survives, which is in doubt, nothing else will. At best, it's the eye of the storm. As Dark0ne says, this has always been on its way, and expecting corporations like Valve and Bethesda to not make a total sham of it was insane. Video gaming as we knew it is already dead, and something else is fermenting in its twitching corpse. I'm sure that rough, slouching beast will be heralded as "innovative" by the shills who blog about pop sociology and MAKE HEADLINES ABOUT WHAT YOU WON'T BELIEVE HAPPENS NEXT. And yes, I am comparing the future of gaming to the birth of the antichrist. It seems an appropriate way to eulogize the end of a golden age of gaming. Edited by 8_of_11

In response to post #24647324. #24647589, #24659519 are all replies on the same post.

ArmoredTroll wrote:
Azradun wrote: I would not.

They would use lawyers to take that site down, to protect the image of their "products" (paid mods). That would show how much they care about "Content Creators" and supporting them.
ArmoredTroll wrote: I'm pretty sure they already know about it. Seeing as some if not all of their employees play PC games and are aware of some if not all of the modding sites. I don't believe they have that kind of power though seeing as I have found many worse things involving copyrighted characters on the internet that has been around since near the beginning of the internet.

They have the power, the question is whether or not they feel it is a worthwhile pursuit. Lover's Lab isn't exactly a bastion of modding, so Valve and Bethesda might not feel it worth the expense. If they felt the site would affect their bottom line, it would be gone in a hurry.

In response to post #24656869. #24656939 is also a reply to the same post.

Farvahar wrote:
phantompally76 wrote: More and more it would appear so.

We may need to remind ourselves that there are other places to download mods besides Steam and nexusmods. IF we even continue to pursue the modding hobby at all.

The community made Steam and Nexus what it is, we can make another. Edited by Farvahar