Steam and Bethesda remove paid modding from Skyrim Workshop

Dark0ne

In response to post #24780229. #24780409, #24780659, #24780854, #24780909 are all replies on the same post.

Azulyn wrote:
bullpcp wrote: I don't think it was reasonable and I would personally not purchase them. I do however believe that the authors should have the right to charge whatever they chose and others could chose to ignore them like I did. Some modes, by my favorite authors, I found worth the cost and I was planning on either purchasing them on steam, or waiting for the mods to become available on the nexus and donating to the author directly, but I didn't get the chance... I may never get the chance now.
UberSmaug wrote: That may be a bit high. But a free market would eventually adjust itself. The User would set the price in the end. Look at the iPhone (idk which number), when weeks after release they dropped the price and extended refunds after accusations of extortion. People will test the limits of what you are willing to pay. Standards for the acceptable price for one sword or one set of armor would be set eventually.

What if that same armor and sword was packaged with a new dungeon and quest. Adding actual gameplay value. Would that be worth a buck or two? You could still say no I don't think its worth it. Just like some say "I don't think dawnguard is worth it". So you don't buy it right away. Later on the price drops or there is a sale.
sunshinenbrick wrote: I completely agree that the market would level out, but Vavletheda would have been exploiting people until that happened. Which could have taken a long time. Only being able to refund one mod every seven days was f'ing nuts as well!

My other major gripe? Paying hard working authors in bloody coupons, c'mon guys we cannot eat Wallet points!
UberSmaug wrote: Untrue payments were to be in real cash.

As longs as no one was under any illusions about how much they where paying or what the mod contained no one would be exploited. Mod authors that chose to work for wallet points decided voluntarily that it was in there best interest to do so. Removing this option did not in fact benefit the mod authors but instead made them worse off. I wouldn't produce for wallet points but feel that others should have had the right to do so if they chose. Besides things could have changed over time.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24780229. #24780409, #24780659, #24780854, #24780909, #24780924 are all replies on the same post.

Azulyn wrote:
bullpcp wrote: I don't think it was reasonable and I would personally not purchase them. I do however believe that the authors should have the right to charge whatever they chose and others could chose to ignore them like I did. Some modes, by my favorite authors, I found worth the cost and I was planning on either purchasing them on steam, or waiting for the mods to become available on the nexus and donating to the author directly, but I didn't get the chance... I may never get the chance now.
UberSmaug wrote: That may be a bit high. But a free market would eventually adjust itself. The User would set the price in the end. Look at the iPhone (idk which number), when weeks after release they dropped the price and extended refunds after accusations of extortion. People will test the limits of what you are willing to pay. Standards for the acceptable price for one sword or one set of armor would be set eventually.

What if that same armor and sword was packaged with a new dungeon and quest. Adding actual gameplay value. Would that be worth a buck or two? You could still say no I don't think its worth it. Just like some say "I don't think dawnguard is worth it". So you don't buy it right away. Later on the price drops or there is a sale.
sunshinenbrick wrote: I completely agree that the market would level out, but Vavletheda would have been exploiting people until that happened. Which could have taken a long time. Only being able to refund one mod every seven days was f'ing nuts as well!

My other major gripe? Paying hard working authors in bloody coupons, c'mon guys we cannot eat Wallet points!
bullpcp wrote: As longs as no one was under any illusions about how much they where paying or what the mod contained no one would be exploited. Mod authors that chose to work for wallet points decided voluntarily that it was in there best interest to do so. Removing this option did not in fact benefit the mod authors but instead made them worse off. I wouldn't produce for wallet points but feel that others should have had the right to do so if they chose. Besides things could have changed over time.

There seems to be a great deal of misinformation in these forums. Thank you for the heads up.

In response to post #24780229. #24780409, #24780659, #24780854, #24780909, #24780924, #24780964 are all replies on the same post.

Azulyn wrote:

bullpcp wrote: As longs as no one was under any illusions about how much they where paying or what the mod contained no one would be exploited. Mod authors that chose to work for wallet points decided voluntarily that it was in there best interest to do so. Removing this option did not in fact benefit the mod authors but instead made them worse off. I wouldn't produce for wallet points but feel that others should have had the right to do so if they chose. Besides things could have changed over time.
bullpcp wrote: There seems to be a great deal of misinformation in these forums. Thank you for the heads up.

The complete lack of transparency and communication about all this did not help anyone I feel.

Can we just close this discussion thread already? Everything of importance has already been said and the dead horse has been beaten enough, still birth though it may be.

All we can do now is wait. Wait for Valve to address legitimate concerns, wait for Bethesda to sort through its stacks of hate mail, and wait for a second and better planned roll out of this system to be announced.

And for those of you who think that this is the end of paid mods I can assure you that it is not.

I thought we were better than this.

-Natterforme

In response to post #24777904. #24779679 is also a reply to the same post.

gorky45 wrote:
bullpcp wrote: I'm unsure what self righteous moders you are referring to. Moders being allowed to charge for mods that others can decide to purchase or ignore is hardly self righteous.

self righteous definition
"having or characterized by a certainty, especially an unfounded one, that one is totally correct or morally superior."

I don't think you know the meaning of the word. And I refer to no one in particular.

In response to post #24780229. #24780409, #24780659, #24780854, #24780909, #24780924, #24780964, #24780984 are all replies on the same post.

Azulyn wrote:

bullpcp wrote: There seems to be a great deal of misinformation in these forums. Thank you for the heads up.
sunshinenbrick wrote: The complete lack of transparency and communication about all this did not help anyone I feel.

While BethValve could have done a far better job of informing the "community" of what was going on, the "community" could have been bothered to read easily available information and ask pertinent questions instead of unnecessarily assuming the worst. Much of the pain and suffering caused by misinformation disseminated and propagated by the ignorant could have easily been avoided.

In response to post #24780229. #24780409, #24780659, #24780854, #24780909, #24780924, #24780964, #24780984, #24781199 are all replies on the same post.

Azulyn wrote:

sunshinenbrick wrote: The complete lack of transparency and communication about all this did not help anyone I feel.
bullpcp wrote: While BethValve could have done a far better job of informing the "community" of what was going on, the "community" could have been bothered to read easily available information and ask pertinent questions instead of unnecessarily assuming the worst. Much of the pain and suffering caused by misinformation disseminated and propagated by the ignorant could have easily been avoided.

Misinformation and reactionary prejudice on the internet. No way! Edited by UberSmaug

In response to post #24780229. #24780409, #24780659, #24780854, #24780909, #24780924, #24780964, #24780984, #24781199, #24781259 are all replies on the same post.

Azulyn wrote:

bullpcp wrote: While BethValve could have done a far better job of informing the "community" of what was going on, the "community" could have been bothered to read easily available information and ask pertinent questions instead of unnecessarily assuming the worst. Much of the pain and suffering caused by misinformation disseminated and propagated by the ignorant could have easily been avoided.
UberSmaug wrote: Misinformation and reactionary prejudice on the internet. No way!

Unfortunately there are those that do take things at surface value and do not question and challenge what is imposed upon us.

Anyway it is late/early, and I'm knackered myself so I'll have to talk to peeps tomorrow perhaps?

Cheers for all.

SNB

In response to post #24780229. #24780409, #24780659, #24780854, #24780909, #24780924, #24780964, #24780984, #24781199, #24781259, #24781424 are all replies on the same post.

Azulyn wrote:

UberSmaug wrote: Misinformation and reactionary prejudice on the internet. No way!
sunshinenbrick wrote: Unfortunately there are those that do take things at surface value and do not question and challenge what is imposed upon us.

Anyway it is late/early, and I'm knackered myself so I'll have to talk to peeps tomorrow perhaps?

Cheers for all.

SNB

How many people would pay $1.99 for every mod they are using or have ever used? When you add it all up, it could get really expensive trying to get Vanilla Skyrim to be marginally playable. And if game companies know that modders will finish their game for them, and add features that should have been in on release, they will have little incentive to release completed games--especially if they will be making a percentage of all the sales on mods people released that fixed their game.

And as far as the community goes, some mod authors will inevitably think, "Since so-and-so sells his mods, why should I release mine for free?"

And the folks that gave us ENB and SKSE, why should they continue working for free just so others can piggy-back on their work for a profit? Or the authors of FORE, ASIS, WYRE BASH, and every other utility and resource that has been given to the community for free.

Some people just don't get what an "open source" community is, and how easily it can be killed.

In response to post #24780229. #24780409, #24780659, #24780854, #24780909, #24780924, #24780964, #24780984, #24781199, #24781259, #24781424, #24781519 are all replies on the same post.

Azulyn wrote:

sunshinenbrick wrote: Unfortunately there are those that do take things at surface value and do not question and challenge what is imposed upon us.

Cheers for all.

SNB
Vesuvius1745 wrote: How many people would pay $1.99 for every mod they are using or have ever used? When you add it all up, it could get really expensive trying to get Vanilla Skyrim to be marginally playable. And if game companies know that modders will finish their game for them, and add features that should have been in on release, they will have little incentive to release completed games--especially if they will be making a percentage of all the sales on mods people released that fixed their game.

And as far as the community goes, some mod authors will inevitably think, "Since so-and-so sells his mods, why should I release mine for free?"

And the folks that gave us ENB and SKSE, why should they continue working for free just so others can piggy-back on their work for a profit? Or the authors of FORE, ASIS, WYRE BASH, and every other utility and resource that has been given to the community for free.

Some people just don't get what an "open source" community is, and how easily it can be killed.

Dark0ne damn near spilled the beans with his Modding as hobby vs. career post. go on click the little globe at the top of your screen. That was like a month ago. I read it. I didn't think it would happen this soon but it was coming. Yes people form opinions with no basis, no research, and refuse to budge once they feel their mind is made up. People don't even read the modding agreement before they start posting stuff. That's not an iTunes update its an important bit of legal information.