Steam and Bethesda remove paid modding from Skyrim Workshop

Dark0ne

In response to post #24731659. #24731874, #24731934, #24731964, #24732044, #24732099, #24732629, #24732674, #24732819, #24732844, #24733339, #24733619, #24733674 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:
mnelson999 wrote:
...Only 8% of the Skyrim audience has ever used a mod. Less than 1% has ever made one....
Speechless.
sheson wrote: Yes trying to force such a paradigm shift on the community without any prior public communications. Whatever were they thinking?

Lets hope we as a community learned a lesson or two as well. Because apparently we tent to over communicate.
sheson wrote: Wild guess: They counting consoles maybe?
Riprock wrote: Hmmm. I personally wouldn't make money decisions based on those numbers so I wonder. Grain of salt, etc on those figures. Eight percent...I'd bet one new dollar that was what they figured on, and then they found they weren't on the mark. Of course, this also gives a hint at how popular their game is.
phantompally76 wrote: So much for that 5% kickback.

Tough break.
JCDNWarrior wrote: That's of course based on the Steam Workshop numbers. I don't think they can really see if we use mods when we have Steam on Offline Mode, running the game in SKSE with Nexus-only mods for example, nor see if the time I spent in the Creation Kit led to any mods. If they said published mods, well that would be a little bit closer.
jfisha wrote: "So much for that 5% kickback.

Tough break."

You can always go premium and help the Nexus out! :)
x9fallen wrote: So less than 8% of the Skyrim audience was able to mobilize and make Valve cry uncle... if only for awhile. Damn good.
Glubglubglub wrote: I've heard enough prominent modders gripe about Beth's SDKs (not to mention Papyrus) to know that 'amazing' is a sparkling bit of gloss on your part. How many unfixed and unpatched bugs are there still in Skyrim? How many promised features undelivered?

The idea that Bethesda wants to nurture the mod community but blundered badly is the politest fiction. If they wanted to capitalize on Skyrim, they could have patched the game as they planned to before switching gears to ESO.

A terrible PR nightmare is exactly what Valve and Bethesda deserved for trying to cannibalize the mod community. Watching them back away with their hands in the air is a proud moment.
mel5765 wrote: It's likely based on Steam Workshop data and not 3rd party websites like Nexus. Remember that Bethesda has no idea what you added into your game.
phantompally76 wrote: "You can always go premium and help the Nexus out!"

Or I can continue to click on ads in the top right corner, which generates far more revenue for the site.

Valve, Bethesda and mod authors aren't the only ones in this not coming out smelling like roses.......
jfisha wrote: When you get down and fight a war in the trenches, everyone comes out smelling like s#*!, my friend

True, but it's going to take a lot of water to wash the blood off some of their hands.

Some more than others...

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #24732344. #24732604, #24732704, #24732709, #24732774, #24732869, #24732879, #24733044, #24733464, #24733739, #24733824 are all replies on the same post.

CelticPaladin wrote:
calfurius wrote: I know quite a few modders became disgusted with the way some members of the modding community treated them. I'm mostly concerned if Chesko is coming back or not, he didn't deserve anywhere near the level of hate that he got.
phantompally76 wrote: I hope that's not the case.

I do, however, hope that in future they think twice about arrogantly condescending mod users looking for assistance with their mods in comments sections, like they have in the past. I'd stopped using some of their mods before this crap ever started because of that.

Riprock wrote: Hopefully time will make him realize that words on the internet are just words. We put way too much stock in typed messages.
CelticPaladin wrote: The number of vitriol and death threats were insane. I couldn't blame them for leaving this community behind. It'd be depressing, but there you go.
meredithmiles wrote: What I don't understand is why Arthmoor, Chesko and Isoku don't already have job offers in hand. Seriously, they are all three hardworking, dedicated and skilled. If I ran a game company I'd have snatched them up ages ago.

This is a great time to donate to them, I think.
jfisha wrote: Each team only lost a handful of endorsements. Yes, there was some angry vitriol, but most people respectfully disagreed with what they did. No more, no less.
BarnabasCollins wrote: I don't even see why people were targeting the modders anyway. For me this was never even about the modders, but the future of modding itself. The modders are innocent.
oblivion104 wrote: I stayed away from the melodrama and only sign the petition,but what happened to chesko??

Also, what happened to the paid mods? Did they take it down?
phantompally76 wrote: heh, apt user name there.

Wait, there are mods for Skyrim??????
Noortje wrote: They would never have updated skyui if it wasn't for the pay offer. I doubt they will finish skyui 5.0 and release it now, but it's not like it was ever going to be free in the first place.

f*#@ that... We weren't black hearted. They were when they gave us a big green middle finger.

If they added a pay what you want system that starts at %0.00 then the whole fiasco wouldn't have happened. There would've been far less of a chance that mods would be stolen and thrown on the workshop to make money because it would be the same as a donation button except more prominent.

And it would've been a success as Humble Bundle already proves a pay what you want system does work and can be highly profitable.

If they did that I would've made some new mods and participated.

We are not unbroken. Modders and users have suffered a blow, some more than others. Please, to the modders who decided to pull their great mods, I for one, do not hold it against you that you wanted to be recognized for your hard work.

I still don't (and will not) agree, however, with paid mods. But please, one mistake does not mean we stop wanting you, or make you less important. I hope I do not speak only for myself.

We won. Not without a cost. For your hard work, for the fun and laughs and happiness you have granted me, I can not think of you as less than a friend.

Come back.

In response to post #24732854.

fgambler wrote:

You and I both, brother. I am fascinated how so many people who sorted out into so many different states of being okay with parts of the idea but not the whole, and DEFINITELY not the same parts as others, still all managed to close ranks and holler until they came to their senses.

In response to post #24731659. #24731874, #24731934, #24731964, #24732044, #24732099, #24732629, #24732674, #24732819, #24732844, #24733339, #24733619, #24733674, #24733829 are all replies on the same post.

Dark0ne wrote:
mnelson999 wrote:
...Only 8% of the Skyrim audience has ever used a mod. Less than 1% has ever made one....
Speechless.
sheson wrote: Yes trying to force such a paradigm shift on the community without any prior public communications. Whatever were they thinking?

Lets hope we as a community learned a lesson or two as well. Because apparently we tent to over communicate.
sheson wrote: Wild guess: They counting consoles maybe?
Riprock wrote: Hmmm. I personally wouldn't make money decisions based on those numbers so I wonder. Grain of salt, etc on those figures. Eight percent...I'd bet one new dollar that was what they figured on, and then they found they weren't on the mark. Of course, this also gives a hint at how popular their game is.
phantompally76 wrote: So much for that 5% kickback.

Tough break.
JCDNWarrior wrote: That's of course based on the Steam Workshop numbers. I don't think they can really see if we use mods when we have Steam on Offline Mode, running the game in SKSE with Nexus-only mods for example, nor see if the time I spent in the Creation Kit led to any mods. If they said published mods, well that would be a little bit closer.
jfisha wrote: "So much for that 5% kickback.

Tough break."

You can always go premium and help the Nexus out! :)
x9fallen wrote: So less than 8% of the Skyrim audience was able to mobilize and make Valve cry uncle... if only for awhile. Damn good.
Glubglubglub wrote: I've heard enough prominent modders gripe about Beth's SDKs (not to mention Papyrus) to know that 'amazing' is a sparkling bit of gloss on your part. How many unfixed and unpatched bugs are there still in Skyrim? How many promised features undelivered?

The idea that Bethesda wants to nurture the mod community but blundered badly is the politest fiction. If they wanted to capitalize on Skyrim, they could have patched the game as they planned to before switching gears to ESO.

A terrible PR nightmare is exactly what Valve and Bethesda deserved for trying to cannibalize the mod community. Watching them back away with their hands in the air is a proud moment.
mel5765 wrote: It's likely based on Steam Workshop data and not 3rd party websites like Nexus. Remember that Bethesda has no idea what you added into your game.
phantompally76 wrote: "You can always go premium and help the Nexus out!"

Or I can continue to click on ads in the top right corner, which generates far more revenue for the site.

Valve, Bethesda and mod authors aren't the only ones in this not coming out smelling like roses.......
jfisha wrote: When you get down and fight a war in the trenches, everyone comes out smelling like s#*!, my friend
phantompally76 wrote: True, but it's going to take a lot of water to wash the blood off some of their hands.

Some more than others...

@Glubglubglub Man you are so on the money there (no pun intended).

Bethesda are outright liars or have we all forgotten the pure b.s. they told us about what Skyrim was 'going to be'? They don't give a f*#@ about you, or me. Don't let them soothe you with words, as they're very cheap, these people would tell you anything if only to be able to squeeze another penny out of you at some point.

I'm out of gaming atm, but here's a promise to anyone who reads from a real individual:
Come the next Bethesda game I decide to play I will immediately subscribe to nexus to show my appreciation for the hardworking folks here. All I ask in return from you is that you reject those greedy people's unashamed attempts at extorting money in the future.

If there was any justice in the world Steam Workshop would give $0.95c of every dollar to the mods. GabeN would still stuff his neck with extra income and Bethesda will get their fair share (which is ZERO, because vanilla Skyrim is only a step above a shitty console port). Edited by An7hraX

In response to post #24733199. #24733474, #24733594 are all replies on the same post.

Elta1 wrote:
sa547 wrote: All the damage could've been averted if the powers-that-be asked for a public consultation in the first place.
Saije wrote: Stop trying to ride the white horse here.

Modders turncoated on the community with hilarious haste.

Users responded in the way that an individual betrayed will always respond.

And now that the dust is settled and the greedy have shown their true colors.

(The fact that they don't give flying f*#@ about the community, just money.)

Now that the paid modding has been vanquished and said greedy individuals have no

recourse except to accept that they were completely happy in their betrayel.

You try to paste the blame on the ones betrayed rather then the ones betraying...

Ridiculous.

I hope if one lesson has been learned from all this it is this...

People will betray each other in a heartbeat when money is involved.

The only modders who deserve any sympathy are the ones that were attacked by the

greedy capitalist pushing pissants for not standing at the side of their fellow turncoats.

Sorry if I get banned for this comment... But it needed to be said.

In a world where everyone has a voice (the internet), you're going to get all kinds of extremes in terms of opinions, and it clearly showed over the past few days. The blame cannot be placed solely on the users as if they were all issuing death threats and spewing absolute hatred. There were of course many users that were constructive and not issuing death threats by explaining that this system could have worked if it was implemented better. Don't let the sour few spoil your opinion of the masses. I wouldn't hop on the 'pity bethesda/valve' train as a result of hearing death threats as these sorts of statements are not uncommon in nearly all avenues of life. You make absolute statements like 'the users' as if they represented everyone, there were many who were calmly involved in the discussion as well.

In response to post #24732589. #24732864, #24732894, #24733544, #24733749, #24733764 are all replies on the same post.

akkalat85 wrote:
WightMage wrote: .... But we can totes worry about that after a couple bottles of champagne. xD
akkalat85 wrote: Haha, certainly. One day at a time :)
Verstrahlt wrote: agreed, it's just a small success but doubts are sown by valve and bethy!
sa547 wrote: > everyone who stood together to shout down the paywall

This is very good imagery. Talos would have been proud. :lol:
Saije wrote: It's definitely not over.

It'll be back... And my vitriol cannon is ready to fire at the pricks who try to usher it back in.

This shows precisely why you don't just say... "Ho humm, there is nothing we can do."

If that had been the reaction of the community at large... Paid modding would have been here to stay.

But instead we said... "f*#@ you and f*#@ this."

And lo and behold... Enough of us were pissed to actually get noticed.

Well put!!
My musket is back on the wall, but it's still loaded!

In response to post #24732589. #24732864, #24732894, #24733544, #24733749, #24733764, #24733924 are all replies on the same post.

akkalat85 wrote:
WightMage wrote: .... But we can totes worry about that after a couple bottles of champagne. xD
akkalat85 wrote: Haha, certainly. One day at a time :)
Verstrahlt wrote: agreed, it's just a small success but doubts are sown by valve and bethy!
sa547 wrote: > everyone who stood together to shout down the paywall

This is very good imagery. Talos would have been proud. :lol:
Saije wrote: It's definitely not over.

It'll be back... And my vitriol cannon is ready to fire at the pricks who try to usher it back in.

This shows precisely why you don't just say... "Ho humm, there is nothing we can do."

If that had been the reaction of the community at large... Paid modding would have been here to stay.

But instead we said... "f*#@ you and f*#@ this."

And lo and behold... Enough of us were pissed to actually get noticed.
moxica wrote: Well put!!
My musket is back on the wall, but it's still loaded!

Free Choice FTW <3 Everyone's "annoying joke mods" and us rating them to the front pages on SWS and that wonderful petition really PAID OFF. Yes, pun intended! <3