Steam and Bethesda remove paid modding from Skyrim Workshop

Dark0ne

In response to post #24732344. #24732604, #24732704, #24732709, #24732774, #24732869, #24732879, #24733044, #24733464, #24733739, #24733824, #24733844, #24734224, #24734679, #24734879, #24734924, #24735019, #24735179, #24735629, #24736304, #24736494 are all replies on the same post.

CelticPaladin wrote:
calfurius wrote: I know quite a few modders became disgusted with the way some members of the modding community treated them. I'm mostly concerned if Chesko is coming back or not, he didn't deserve anywhere near the level of hate that he got.
phantompally76 wrote: I hope that's not the case.

I do, however, hope that in future they think twice about arrogantly condescending mod users looking for assistance with their mods in comments sections, like they have in the past. I'd stopped using some of their mods before this crap ever started because of that.

Riprock wrote: Hopefully time will make him realize that words on the internet are just words. We put way too much stock in typed messages.
CelticPaladin wrote: The number of vitriol and death threats were insane. I couldn't blame them for leaving this community behind. It'd be depressing, but there you go.
meredithmiles wrote: What I don't understand is why Arthmoor, Chesko and Isoku don't already have job offers in hand. Seriously, they are all three hardworking, dedicated and skilled. If I ran a game company I'd have snatched them up ages ago.

This is a great time to donate to them, I think.
jfisha wrote: Each team only lost a handful of endorsements. Yes, there was some angry vitriol, but most people respectfully disagreed with what they did. No more, no less.
BarnabasCollins wrote: I don't even see why people were targeting the modders anyway. For me this was never even about the modders, but the future of modding itself. The modders are innocent.
oblivion104 wrote: I stayed away from the melodrama and only sign the petition,but what happened to chesko??

Also, what happened to the paid mods? Did they take it down?
phantompally76 wrote: heh, apt user name there.

Wait, there are mods for Skyrim??????
Noortje wrote: They would never have updated skyui if it wasn't for the pay offer. I doubt they will finish skyui 5.0 and release it now, but it's not like it was ever going to be free in the first place.
Saije wrote: f*#@ that... We weren't black hearted. They were when they gave us a big green middle finger.
SNSDLOVER wrote: Honestly if they love modding and love sharing their mods to us, I doubt theyll leave. Modding could be their hobby or passion so Im certain this wont make them go away.
redrat07 wrote: there were d-threats to people who left to go to the paid system ?
phantompally76 wrote: @redrat, not in the quantities that people here want you to believe.

There was certainly some of it.....there always is. But the vast majority of butthurt mod authors and white knights are including irate mod users who posted "uninstalled and unendorsed, shame on you" along with any amount of criticism in that category. And THOSE comments grossly outnumbered any sort of threats, and were perfectly fair and justified.
BluemaxDR wrote: Oh, they won't stop developing mods. Just stop posting.

Arendella wrote: Chesko I don't have a problem with.

Isoku and SkyUi? definitely will never use their mods again *Will just use old version of SkyUi*. Was just a big slap in the face when he was all giddy about putting his mods up on Steam Workshop just pissing everyone off even more.
jfisha wrote: Thumbs up, Phantompally.

There are some mod authors that are going pull an Anita Sarkeesian and chastise our entire community because of a very small amount of very angry comments, but if you go back and look at comments, you'll notice most of them are people just saying they're disappointed and unendorsing.
Azulyn wrote: jfisha + phantompally76
Amen.
Most of the comments I saw were reasonable criticisms and/or remarks of disappointment, not frothing rage and threats of death and venngeeeaanncceee as all these white knights would have you believe.
tem1980 wrote: Unfortunately, that's the nature of the internet. 90% outrage and ass-holism, 5% controlled nonsense, 5% rational measured thought.

Its actually a pretty decent mirror of the real population, except real people only say the s#*! they do on the internet in RL when they dont think they can be identified or held accountable. Or you know, what the internet allows.

Everyone should try and tune out all the rage and insane s#*!.
jfisha wrote: I'll actually disagree with that, tem. I just think the very angry among us happen to also be the most inclined to write a comment.

May I ask what Isoku did? I have heard of Arthmoor kind of taking the piss out of some people.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kia ora

Strange. I have not seen anybody saying anything about the tools. if they wanted to take a cut they could at the very least fix some things in CK Like regioning and heightmaping and how that works and of corse released an import/export tool that did not need so much cut and pasting. but that being said it's a moot point now But one they need to look at if theyer to try again I believe.

Pro modding should have Pro tools to cut down wasted hours doing unwarrented steps right

In response to post #24736044.

sunshinenbrick wrote:

TOTALLY!

I want a download history, if I've downloaded a MOD 3 times (every play through I wipe and delete everything) I feel I should donate but manually keeping track of some of the smaller ones I just don't do and would like to be able to donate, if the feature was part of premium membership I'd be good with that. I'd pay for Premium membership.

In response to post #24736589. #24736754 is also a reply to the same post.

Vesuvius1745 wrote:
Brasscatcher wrote: Agreed. I posted somewhere back in one of the other topics that I disagree with forcing mods behind a paywall. User funding for this hobby should always be voluntary. BUT. Bethesda (under Zenimax pressure, I'm sure) has released games in terrible condition for a AAA title. If anyone should be profit-sharing with crews like SKSE, SkyUI, Unofficial Patches, it should be Bethesda. Sure is nice having a devoted and skilled-enough fanbase to make your game run for you.

I decided with Skyrim to not preorder the next Bethesda game for this very reason. There's no point, if the friggin thing isn't going to work out of the box.

You mean aside from the fact that, in a year or two, they'll be selling the "Legendary Gold Assault Armageddon Omega Supreme Edition" with over $200 worth of DLC clothing, weapon, and texture packs in a bundle for 80% off?

In response to post #24734264. #24735884 is also a reply to the same post.

cornbreadtm wrote:
ff7legend wrote: Your consoles vs PC sales point that you made is exactly why Bethesda needs to start properly optimizing their games for the PC platform instead of porting them over to PC from consoles (Skyrim was ported over to PC/PS3 from the X-Box 360 version of the game, hence why PC/PS3 users had so many issues with Skyrim playing properly on said platforms). They also need to start packaging 64 bit versions of their games on PC alongside the 32 bit versions like Microsoft does their OSes. This would totally eliminate artificial memory limits for users of 64 bit Windows OSes.

Yeah for me. I bought Skyrim on ps3 then twice on PC. Fallout 3 twice on ps3 then again on PC. I also got Oblivion and Morrowind this last year. Why did I do that MODS. Why do many people buy those games MODS. Mods still make them money.

In response to post #24736044. #24736999 is also a reply to the same post.

sunshinenbrick wrote:
deRusett wrote: TOTALLY!

I want a download history, if I've downloaded a MOD 3 times (every play through I wipe and delete everything) I feel I should donate but manually keeping track of some of the smaller ones I just don't do and would like to be able to donate, if the feature was part of premium membership I'd be good with that. I'd pay for Premium membership.

Someone previously brought up the idea of adding donation buttons to the popup window that reminds users to endorse. This should be posted in the forum for improvement suggestions for the site, if it hasn't been already - I'll see if I can do that myself later today.

In response to post #24736044. #24736999, #24737054 are all replies on the same post.

sunshinenbrick wrote:
deRusett wrote: TOTALLY!

greentea101 wrote: Someone previously brought up the idea of adding donation buttons to the popup window that reminds users to endorse. This should be posted in the forum for improvement suggestions for the site, if it hasn't been already - I'll see if I can do that myself later today.

And can we have that attached to the NMM so we can tell what mods we have or haven't donated to in the past, just like the endorse button?

In response to post #24736854.

NaimaR wrote:

that's not drm, it's smart business. If I only had money from investors to sell my item at one place, I would go with the one 80% of the market buys from. Biggest distribution bang for the buck. Like selling your cookies at Walmart and not Target. All the other distributors are small fry compared to Steam, and as production budgets sink lower and costs get higher for game developers and makers, you have to make hard choices as to where your limited distribution bucks go. Makes sense to go with a big distributor that's a sure thing. You don't pay to join steam, it's free (maybe they get a chunk from the game sale?) and you can disconnect it and go offline and still play the game. Not really the same as drm.

In response to post #24732344. #24732604, #24732704, #24732709, #24732774, #24732869, #24732879, #24733044, #24733464, #24733739, #24733824, #24733844, #24734224, #24734679, #24734879, #24734924, #24735019, #24735179, #24735629, #24736304, #24736494, #24736934 are all replies on the same post.

CelticPaladin wrote:
calfurius wrote: I know quite a few modders became disgusted with the way some members of the modding community treated them. I'm mostly concerned if Chesko is coming back or not, he didn't deserve anywhere near the level of hate that he got.
phantompally76 wrote: I hope that's not the case.

I do, however, hope that in future they think twice about arrogantly condescending mod users looking for assistance with their mods in comments sections, like they have in the past. I'd stopped using some of their mods before this crap ever started because of that.

Riprock wrote: Hopefully time will make him realize that words on the internet are just words. We put way too much stock in typed messages.
CelticPaladin wrote: The number of vitriol and death threats were insane. I couldn't blame them for leaving this community behind. It'd be depressing, but there you go.
meredithmiles wrote: What I don't understand is why Arthmoor, Chesko and Isoku don't already have job offers in hand. Seriously, they are all three hardworking, dedicated and skilled. If I ran a game company I'd have snatched them up ages ago.

This is a great time to donate to them, I think.
jfisha wrote: Each team only lost a handful of endorsements. Yes, there was some angry vitriol, but most people respectfully disagreed with what they did. No more, no less.
BarnabasCollins wrote: I don't even see why people were targeting the modders anyway. For me this was never even about the modders, but the future of modding itself. The modders are innocent.
oblivion104 wrote: I stayed away from the melodrama and only sign the petition,but what happened to chesko??

Also, what happened to the paid mods? Did they take it down?
phantompally76 wrote: heh, apt user name there.

Wait, there are mods for Skyrim??????
Noortje wrote: They would never have updated skyui if it wasn't for the pay offer. I doubt they will finish skyui 5.0 and release it now, but it's not like it was ever going to be free in the first place.
Saije wrote: f*#@ that... We weren't black hearted. They were when they gave us a big green middle finger.
SNSDLOVER wrote: Honestly if they love modding and love sharing their mods to us, I doubt theyll leave. Modding could be their hobby or passion so Im certain this wont make them go away.
redrat07 wrote: there were d-threats to people who left to go to the paid system ?
phantompally76 wrote: @redrat, not in the quantities that people here want you to believe.

There was certainly some of it.....there always is. But the vast majority of butthurt mod authors and white knights are including irate mod users who posted "uninstalled and unendorsed, shame on you" along with any amount of criticism in that category. And THOSE comments grossly outnumbered any sort of threats, and were perfectly fair and justified.
BluemaxDR wrote: Oh, they won't stop developing mods. Just stop posting.

Arendella wrote: Chesko I don't have a problem with.

Isoku and SkyUi? definitely will never use their mods again *Will just use old version of SkyUi*. Was just a big slap in the face when he was all giddy about putting his mods up on Steam Workshop just pissing everyone off even more.
jfisha wrote: Thumbs up, Phantompally.

There are some mod authors that are going pull an Anita Sarkeesian and chastise our entire community because of a very small amount of very angry comments, but if you go back and look at comments, you'll notice most of them are people just saying they're disappointed and unendorsing.
Azulyn wrote: jfisha + phantompally76
Amen.
Most of the comments I saw were reasonable criticisms and/or remarks of disappointment, not frothing rage and threats of death and venngeeeaanncceee as all these white knights would have you believe.
tem1980 wrote: Unfortunately, that's the nature of the internet. 90% outrage and ass-holism, 5% controlled nonsense, 5% rational measured thought.

Its actually a pretty decent mirror of the real population, except real people only say the s#*! they do on the internet in RL when they dont think they can be identified or held accountable. Or you know, what the internet allows.

Everyone should try and tune out all the rage and insane s#*!.
jfisha wrote: I'll actually disagree with that, tem. I just think the very angry among us happen to also be the most inclined to write a comment.
WarfighterShaun wrote: May I ask what Isoku did? I have heard of Arthmoor kind of taking the piss out of some people.

Chesko I don't have a problem with.

Same here, Midas Magic was by far one of the most popular mods in Oblivion, i have a hard time believing that he only received enough donations to barely cover fraps as he said.

Edited by sovs