The first quest you ever did?

majikmonkee

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pick up Rhianna at the feedbag, not in game.

Arena Grand champion, easy way to some money and fame for the character, so I can buy a house, spending money on an inn room really not my style. Still the first thing I do when I start a new game, however setting the timescale to 8 from the default 30 does not take several days to complete that quest line.

Go Fishing was my first quest ... Jewel of the Rumare is still one of my most used items :blush:

that was pretty funny for me the first time I did it, Neeksha the dark elf companion kept drowning while I was trying to get the fish, not fun.

I have trouble getting NPC's to drown when I want them to. It seems to me that an Imperial Legion wearing a full suit of iron armor would sink like a stone when they are unconscious, not float to the surface. Sorry, wildly off topic here... :P

Neeksha the dark elf companion kept drowning while I was trying to get the fish, not fun.

Hmmmm ... I see ..... Dark Elves and water ... not the best friends

They're better off in dark (and dry) caves ;)

Heh! Unfriendly Competition was my first quest as well, and just like monkee, when I began the quest I went about the sneaking and following in an extremely detailed manner. I had no experience whatsoever with the game; I didn't know how anything worked.

I thought that it was important for me to follow Agarmir subversively, without being seen, yet sticking close enough to keep an eye on him. I followed him nonchalantly through the market while there were lots of NPCs hanging about, figuring I wouldn't be noticed in the crowd. I occasionally ducked behind crates or around corners temporarily when Agarmir stopped to speak with a random NPC, because I didn't want him to realize I was tailing him. At one point I even changed the clothes my character was wearing. When he left the market district and went to Green Emperor Way where there weren't nearly as many people, I dropped back quite a bit and then went through the garden graveyard perimeter while Agarmir walked on the street above me.

When he finally made it to the street that his house is on, I kept losing him because I was far enough behind that by the time I turned the corner, he'd have already disappeared into his house. I remember trying a couple nights in a row before I actually walked all the way down that street and of course the quest update popped up as soon as I got near to Agarmir's door, even though I had no idea which house was his.

You have to understand, I wasn't doing all this because I wanted to roleplay my character's experience. I thought I had to, I thought the game would tell me I'd failed the quest if Agarmir noticed he was being followed or if I lost sight of him for too long a time. I really honestly did think that ducking into a shadow and putting a different clothing on would make a difference. I had absolutely no idea that you can pretty much just tag along directly behind him in broad daylight, even chat with him as much as you want, follow him right up to his house, and the game doesn't care.

When I finally realized how dumb I'd been, I was so disappointed I almost gave up the game right there and stopped playing for awhile. Obviously I'm very glad I gave it another chance! But... I don't know if anything will ever really make up for that first crushing disappointment when I realized the true extent of the hand-holding the game does for you and that there's never any need to solve puzzles or even to think at all. Just follow the idiot arrow, gaze at the eyecandy, and wait for the popup.

I had to laugh at what you did, chaospearl. Why? I played this game for months, just like that, myself. As a former "street person", it's second nature for me to be acutely aware of my environment, hide in shadows, take short-cuts through dark alleys, lose myself in crowds, or avoid them in other situations, so I naturally brought this into a game that looked like those things had meaning. Sadly, they usually don't. There are very few situations in the game where what you're wearing makes a bit of difference, for instance. The tailing situation ... yeah, as long as the NPC you're tailing is a non-hostile they'll seldom take notice of you.

There are some exceptions, though, and those can throw you for a loop if you're not prepared for them and you fall into the assumption that how you do things has no bearing on the outcome. You can't get into the dinner party in Leyawiin Castle, for instance, unless you're dressed appropriately. I can't remember the quest, but I either had to tail someone or just decided to do so, and when I got too close to him he angrily turned around and said something like "Can't you see I'm busy, right now?" I figured, OK, the jig's up, but when I dropped back a little and didn't crowd him so closely there was no longer a problem. Now that I think about it, I might have been following Faelian, in the DB quest "The Lonely Wanderer", to try to get to him in a place where I could pick up the bonus for assassinating him in a secure location. So there are some times where you do need to be careful.

Knowing this, you would think that in "Whodunnit?" appearance would be everything, especially after Vicente warns you to not wear the hood that is part of your assassin's outfit. In fact, it doesn't matter what you wear. You can enter in full plate armor, don the Raiment of the Crimson Scar, wear the most expensive clothing and jewelry in the game, or even go in butt-naked and it will have no effect at all on the dispositions of the NPCs toward you. It never ceases to be a source of amusement for me that I can walk around the Market District wearing my Shrouded Armor and never attract attention from the guards, or not get kicked out of the Fighter's Guild if I show up, there, in a full suit of Blackwood Company armor.

I think it's great that you happened to relate the anecdote about trying to tail somebody unobtrusively only to have the NPC turn around and start talking to you. Because that's exactly what frustrates me about the game.

In that particular situation, as you said, you may have just been following the guy for your own reasons rather than an actual quest, but it wouldn't have mattered. Even when you're on a true quest that instructs you to follow somebody (like in Unfriendly Competition), it absolutely does not matter if your mark notices you or not. Even if he or she does the same thing your mark did and turns around to complain about you, that doesn't mean you fail the quest. As a matter of fact it has no effect whatsoever. As long as you arrive at the place you're supposed to be, the game updates the quest neatly and nicely with no regard for whether you quietly tailed the NPC, danced about in front of him, spoke to him, had him speak to you, etc.

These days I'm still tailing my marks as quietly and stealthily as possible, but now I realize fully that it's all roleplay. I still enjoy the hell out of it so I guess it doesn't matter!

My character doesn't own a home or residence of any sort where she could store belongings, so she lives out of her knapsack and therefore only owns three shirts. One is a patched and tattered rag, one is a middle-class everyman linen shirt, and one is a green velvet doublet. Not exactly finery, but she's trimmed it with some bits of satin ribbon and wears it with a scarf that hides the mended parts, so she can pass for a well-born lady as long as nobody looks too closely. The plain linen shirt is what she wears when it's needful to blend in and not be noticed in an average crowd of cityfolk, and of course, the rags are for situations when it's useful to pass as a street beggar or other nobody. No one ever really looks at beggars, as I'm sure you know well if you've spent time on the streets.

Once upon a time I stumbled across a small mod that made it so the clothing your character wore did have an actual effect on gameplay. I can't quite remember what exactly it did... it was subtle and not really all that useful, something along the lines of modifying an NPC's disposition towards you based on your clothing and whether it was similar to the NPC's. Like, beggars would have a higher disposition when you wore low-priced rags, and nobles would like you more if you wore rich clothing, etc.

I eventually uninstalled the mod because it had a few bugs and just wasn't useful enough to make the cut (I'm constantly running into the magic number 255 and having to Gecko). I like the idea of it, though. I'd like it more if it could incorporate your ideas about certain clothing\armor being clearly inappropriate in some situations. You shouldn't be able to wander into a Mage's Guild hall wearing a necromancer robe and nobody even notices.

I guess something like that would be insanely difficult to implement, sadly. You'd have to either add an effect to the clothing that constantly checked to see which cell you were in, or somehow make a script that triggered when you walked into any of the places where your attire might be important, and checked to see if you were wearing any of the proscribed clothing items. Either way it's far, far too advanced a concept for my meager programming talent, and from what I do know about scripting, it seems like it would be quite taxing on the game engine even if it could be implemented properly.

I will stick to roleplaying for now! By the way, I've never encountered any dinner parties in the game so you kind of lost me there, but if I should ever be invited to one, I'll be sure to carefully consider my character's outfit. Maybe by that time she'll own more than just the three shirts.

It could be quite a ways into the future when (and if) I finally do run across whichever quest you were referring to: I've been playing, modding, and loving Oblivion for nearly two years and I've yet to complete the main questline in any of my games. I've never made it through any of the guild questlines either. And there are so many wonderfully involved and complex mod-added quests out there, too! This game has already given me hundreds of hours of pleasure and I love knowing that I probably haven't seen or done even half of what it has to offer.

Knowing this, you would think that in "Whodunnit?" appearance would be everything, especially after Vicente warns you to not wear the hood that is part of your assassin's outfit. In fact, it doesn't matter what you wear. You can enter in full plate armor, don the Raiment of the Crimson Scar, wear the most expensive clothing and jewelry in the game, or even go in butt-naked and it will have no effect at all on the dispositions of the NPCs toward you. It never ceases to be a source of amusement for me that I can walk around the Market District wearing my Shrouded Armor and never attract attention from the guards, or not get kicked out of the Fighter's Guild if I show up, there, in a full suit of Blackwood Company armor.

Not entirely true. There is one exception, if you wear the Gray Fox's Cowl, I'm 99% sure you get a negative response from one of the guests.