Skyrim Information

Zaldir

Zaldiir, wasn't it pretty much confirmed in GI's podcast interview with Todd Howard that there would be a one-handed and a two-handed skill? So Blunt and Blade would therefore no longer exist. Instead, there'd be separate perk branches for swords, axes, maces, and whatever else.

Yes, this was confirmed. But it's still the same amount of skills for weapons (Two-Handed & One-Handed vs. Blunt & Blade).

I must have forgotten to add that to the info post though. I'll do it right away. :)

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the whole thing about perks, it makes all the skills all but meaningless to me now. I maybe understanding this wrong, but . . . If you have skills, then you have a branch of perk in that skill that implements the "skills" we know of, i.e. blunt and blade under one or two handed, the perks allow us to "specialize" in a "skill" so to speak. The problem is, if I recall, you can choose any perk from a branch you like even if you do not use that skill - I choose jumping higher perk over my constantly used blade having a damage increase perk. Of course I expect there is going to be a level system for the perks, can't get one unless you have this other one.

With all that said, the perks allow you to customize and individualize your skills without even having skills or paying attention to your skills!?!

p.s. I'm tired so don't bash to hard! :biggrin:

With the whole thing about perks, it makes all the skills all but meaningless to me now. I maybe understanding this wrong, but . . . If you have skills, then you have a branch of perk in that skill that implements the "skills" we know of, i.e. blunt and blade under one or two handed, the perks allow us to "specialize" in a "skill" so to speak. The problem is, if I recall, you can choose any perk from a branch you like even if you do not use that skill - I choose jumping higher perk over my constantly used blade having a damage increase perk. Of course I expect there is going to be a level system for the perks, can't get one unless you have this other one.

With all that said, the perks allow you to customize and individualize your skills without even having skills or paying attention to your skills!?!

p.s. I'm tired so don't bash to hard! :biggrin:

The difference is mostly that skills are required to level up, (i.e, you'll need 10 skill level-ups to gain a level.) whereas Perks are chosen when you level up.

Also, skills can all be maximized with no limitation, whereas when choosing Perks, you will have to choose one over the other. (Unless you reach very high level and can choose them all.)

"dungeons will be locked on their level once you have been there" I think that means that once you have explored a dungeon it won't level up anymore

Yeah, it seems quite straight forward, but I still want to be a little cautious towards that, as it may mean something more as well.

Also, could you please remove that long quote you made? It kind of fills the whole page.^^

That doesn't seem straight forward to me at all... So what if a single monster is still alive in the dungeon because I missed him. Will he level up with me, will the dungeon respawn, do I have to clear the dungeon then it's just dead space? Or are they just the single player version of an instance and once you have saved little Johnny from his kidnappers the dungeon is useless to you and there's no reason to go back in?

That doesn't seem straight forward to me at all... So what if a single monster is still alive in the dungeon because I missed him. Will he level up with me, will the dungeon respawn, do I have to clear the dungeon then it's just dead space? Or are they just the single player version of an instance and once you have saved little Johnny from his kidnappers the dungeon is useless to you and there's no reason to go back in?

Exactly what I mean about "Being more to it". :)

It's a good way to make the player feel stronger, as the dungeon the player enters is the same as it was the last time, with the bandits being just as weak as before, but now you are stronger, which makes sense as the bandits in there wouldn't become better just because you did. So it does actually add to the feeling of becoming stronger and more powerful.

Ok, that makes sense when you put it that way. But what is to keep the player from feeling like the locations are custom tailored to him and nothing will ever be too hard, removing that sense of danger which should be present. What's to keep my armored knight from just charging in because nothing should be able to really kill him anyways. (This is how I felt in New Vegas)

Yeah, that is the negative effect of that approach. Every approach has it's negative part, and the developer just have to pick the one they think is best.

And as for Skyrim, I am glad they are trying new ways, and not sticking to old habits! :)

Once you enter a dungeon the enemies will always be within the level range in which you entered it. they will not get stronger with you.