Skyrim Information

Zaldir

Yeah, that is the negative effect of that approach. Every approach has it's negative part, and the developer just have to pick the one they think is best.

And as for Skyrim, I am glad they are trying new ways, and not sticking to old habits! :)

This sounds just like Oblivion but worse. Now not only will every monster be tailor leveled to be a moderate (or rather no) challenge(...)

Do we know that?

I'd like to believe that there will be a lot of variety in the level of difficulty of the dungeons. Let's say that in some of them, the creatures/NPC's start in level 1. In others the starting level may be 5, 10 or 15. Then, as the player levels up and provided that he doesn't find the dungeons, the creatures/NPC's will keep leveling (thus being at the same level of the player or 5/10/15 levels above him). Once the player finds a dungeon though, their dwellers will stop leveling and then we will have the chance to catch up.

If the levelling in dungeons were to be implemented this way then it would be both satisfying AND challenging (some dungeons would have enemies 15 levels above you the first time you enter)

Do you think that Bethesta is planning something along these lines?

It's hard to say but it sounds like a dungeon is not a set place like it was before. Instead of a dungeon having creatures or npcs in it that are at a given level, the dungeon is empty until you either enter it or go into town. When you go to town and then get a quest, the radiant story will say, hey the PC hasn't been to this dungeon before so then it runs a script which sets that dungeon to suddenly have, lets say, little Timmy in it who has been kidknaped by evil bandits. So now the dungeon is set so it has several things it may not have had before, if it even had anything, which are, bandits and Timmy and of course the quest it's self. Then once you enter said dungeon as level 10, the evil bandits are now set at a given challenge level, lets say 12, and you are then expected to be able to defeat them etc. It may be challenging but the game is scaled so everything is do-able within a reasonable challenge.

What I would like to see instead is that the bandits are level 15, they always have been, and deeper in the cave is a troll who is level 20 but ignored the bandits most of the time. When you enter the cave at level 10 you start fighting the bandits and realize they are tougher than you, this might be beyond your ability but you barely manage to triumph. But then you push further into the cave and realize, this Troll is way out of your league, and you have to run away since there's no way you can beat him. So you return back to town, get some better gear, train up a little bit, maybe do another quest then you return and defeat that troll at level 15 yourself. This makes the world feel dangerous. You never know what you may run into and you really have to watch your butt. Great stories like Lord of the Rings do this all the time, when enemies appear which the heroes cannot face and must find a different way to solve the problem at hand.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ fatalmasterpiece, I agree with how you put it. The only question is if one doesn't do the quest, like I do, and then remember you have it 20 levels later, would they be the same level as when you first got it or increase along with you till a certain point?

Now that pic is awesome rofl!!! Kind of reminds me of the Monty Python Holy Grail movie.

@ fatalmasterpiece, I agree with how you put it. The only question is if one doesn't do the quest, like I do, and then remember you have it 20 levels later, would they be the same level as when you first got it or increase along with you till a certain point?

Now that pic is awesome rofl!!! Kind of reminds me of the Monty Python Holy Grail movie.

Because it is Monty Python :P

From what it sounds like, the quest will still be whatever level you got it at. In which case, you will go back and be fighting low level enemies to finish it. This can be good and bad...

I'm really hoping Bethesda pulls it off but it just sounds really iffy right now. A system where anything could happen sounds so much more appealing. One of my best DnD games was created by just setting up the game world with events already in play and if the players stumbled into a dungeon filled with epic mobs, it was their own fault for not doing their homework.

Has Bethesda said anything about armor yet? In Morrowind you could wear up to sixteen individual pieces of equipment (a shirt, pants, a belt, an amulet, two rings, a helmet, two pauldrons, a body, greaves, boots, two gauntlets, a shield, and a robe), each of which could be enchanted. In Oblivion, this was cut down to nine (a helmet, a body, gauntlets, greaves, boots, an amulet, a shield, and two rings) individual pieces at any one time. I'm hoping Skyrim expands upon Morrowind's equipment system and allows us to choose almost each individual piece of equipment -- let's face it, it's probably very uncomfortable being in a giant tin can with no clothes on . . .

New Today:

• Speculations and possibly more on Crossbows: "... Similarly the mechanics of shooting from a bow and crossbow will change." - this is from the Polish Magazine "CD-Action"
  • There will be some enchanted weapons which don't tell you what they do - so you'll know it's magical in some way but you won't know how exactly, you'd have to find out yourself.
  • Quest givers won't be so specific.
  • Taverns will play a large role in getting information, gossip and rumours from a town as it's naturally where most people go after working and you can listen to peoples conversation and learn more about the town and/or Skyrim itself.
  • People will be more vague or specific when talking to you or giving you quests depending on how much they like you.
  • If you are using a two handed weapon then you use Left Trigger to block and Right trigger to attack, however if you have a one handed weapon in one hand and a spell in the other, you won't be able to block.
  • Some Dragon Shouts are found in dungeons.
  • It is possible to raise all skills to 100 but not possible to get all perks.
  • The King of Skyrim is dead, which has sparked the Civil War.
  • Every big settlement is unique. The city of Markarth Side, for example, is set into dramatic stone cliffs, with buildings teetering on the end of sheer drops.
  • Haarfingar is said to be home to the largest trading port in Skyrim.

New Today:

Speculations and possibly more on Crossbows: "... Similarly the mechanics of shooting from a bow and crossbow will change." - this is from the Polish Magazine "CD-Action"

Confirmed by Pete Hines (on Twitter) to be a mistake made by the magazine

There will be some enchanted weapons which don't tell you what they do - so you'll know it's magical in some way but you won't know how exactly, you'd have to find out yourself.

If it is from Official PS Mag, someone has misinterpreted a line which was meant to say that the questgivers won't describe the enchanted items they give us as a reward - to allow it to be appropriate to our level. If the source is different, could You say what it is?

Edited by istred