⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Skyrim Information

Zaldir

@ chaosrex - re: magic.. there are many interpretations of magic. In this case Beth is siding with the D&D implementation of verbal/somatic & material componants...

It makes sense to most people that you have to be able to speak and move your hand to cast certain spells. Otherwise it becomes to fantastical and op...not grounded in noticable combat action and troublesome to adjudicate... especially in turn/round play.

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also guessing that the new one-hand free required magic system means that they took out the penalty for using magic while wearing armor that you're unskilled in?I hope not, if that's true then that means there would be no disadvantage for a mage to wear heavy armor aside from the movement penalty.On a side-note, does anyone know if the new hotkey system will allow you to assign more than one piece of equipment or spell to a hotkey?That way you could equip an entire set of armor or switch between different spell combos.

I'm also guessing that the new one-hand free required magic system means that they took out the penalty for using magic while wearing armor that you're unskilled in?I hope not, if that's true then that means there would be no disadvantage for a mage to wear heavy armor aside from the movement penalty.On a side-note, does anyone know if the new hotkey system will allow you to assign more than one piece of equipment or spell to a hotkey?That way you could equip an entire set of armor or switch between different spell combos.

I'd rather not have a mage wearing heavy ass armor. As far as widely played RPGs go that involve magic, a physically weak mage wearing a full suit of armor just doesn't make sense and it wouldn't seem balanced for a mage to be a spell tank sitting in his armor casted unpenalized spells. It wouldn't make much sense unless you were a spellsword I guess, but then you'd be casting buffs mostly.

Typically:

Warriors=armored, varied weight

Rogue=armored, light weight or unarmored (some situations may call for it)

Wizard/Sorcerer=no armor, cloth (because it doesn't disrupt their spellcasting)

Not that you shouldn't be able to play the way you want.

10 is plenty..but HEY guess what? the more the merrier.. i just hope there will be just as much to do in Skyrim as Oblivion, I'm sure Mr Howard and his crew won't let me down.

Game informer said there would be 10 unique races and that they are entirely customizable. The only thing I am worried about is the custom part. I just hope it is not like the Oblivion way, tho we have been told differently.

I'd rather not have a mage wearing heavy ass armor. As far as widely played RPGs go that involve magic, a physically weak mage wearing a full suit of armor just doesn't make sense and it wouldn't seem balanced for a mage to be a spell tank sitting in his armor casted unpenalized spells. It wouldn't make much sense unless you were a spellsword I guess, but then you'd be casting buffs mostly.

Typically:

Warriors=armored, varied weight

Rogue=armored, light weight or unarmored (some situations may call for it)

Wizard/Sorcerer=no armor, cloth (because it doesn't disrupt their spellcasting)

Not that you shouldn't be able to play the way you want.

I agree, that's why there should still be a penalty for using magic with armor you're unskilled in, a spellsword should never be able to use magic at the same level as a mage, even if he is used to wearing heavy armor and casting spells in it.Although, a spellsword who is skilled in heavy armor should be able to cast spells better in heavy amor than a mage.I've seen no hint at such a system in Skyrim though.

a spellsword should never be able to use magic at the same level as a mage

there are no classes at all in skyrim... no mages, no spellsword, no warrior. You are what you do, period.

So if you play only with magic, you will be more powerfull because 1) you will use 2 spell at the same time 2) the fact that you use two spell at the same time will make you level your spell skills faster than if you use 1 spell et one weapon.

But when you're 100 in destruction you are 100. I don't see a valid reason why 100 for someone is not as powerful as 100 for another one. It's this limit of 100 which is a shame. There should be the same system of exponential difficulty than for the character level (which would permit to a double spell user to reach 110 in some magic school when the sword/spell user only is 102-103)

For the armor part, yes there should be a penality. I don't know which, but there should be one.