Voice Acting Start?

CapitalisticPig

I'm very interested in voice acting, specifically for if the "Player Voicesets" mod gets the update for adding your own voices and if that goes well, I was thinking about offering services. The problem is, I don't have a mic or software... I acted all through highschool and I am very good. I am taking intro to theatre next semester, but I don't know about the technical stuff...

Will a standard, built in laptop mic provide a "good enough" quality to not be annoying? Or do I have to get a professional mic? And what software do you get for recording?

Thanks in advance

Edited by CapitalisticPig

Laptop mic: DEFINITELY no. Headset: No.

Cheapest decent mic is Blue Snowball, but I recommend the AT2020. It's pretty cheap and has very good quality. Whatever you get, be sure you pick up a pop filter as well. I really recommend the AT2020 (or Blue Yeti, I suppose) over the Snowball, unless you're incredibly tight on money, in which case Snowball is fine.

Will a standard, built in laptop mic provide a "good enough" quality to not be annoying?

Let forget you ever asked that.

Okay, here is the deal. You don't need 500 bucks and a small room for this job like what many youtubers seem to show.

The best choice of mic type for you would be the USB ones. They are well priced, do the the job and take little space. A one that sells well where are I live is this one http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B001AS6OYC/ezvid02-20

mix it with a pop filter and you will get the best sound quality for less than 150 bucks.

However, it better to ask around the voice actors thread about this. You can always look mics up youtube and hear them yourself.

For software, this it most used one around http://web.audacityteam.org/

Edited by Boombro

Hahaha, sorry, XD. I was kind of just hoping there was some trick to get decent sounding vocals without getting some professional grade mic... Thank you, for the feedback. Hopefully, I will own a basic mic and pop filter soon, though! (I'm currently learning C# so that might actually have to wait a little as to not get in the way, but wanted some input in advance)

Thanks for the help! (AT2020 looks good :D)