Will you be buying a new rig for skyrim

Dianadoesitbest

Nope, I doubt the requirements will be much higher than Oblivion if at all. The basic game will have to run on consoles and I really can't see us getting too many bells and whistles.

Bethesda have made quite a lot of promises regarding features that make the minimum requirements higher. Like dynamic snow and all that. Although I'm no expert I would be really surprised if Skyrim doesn't have much higher minimum requirements than Oblivion.

But I can see that there are limitations when the game has to run on not too new consoles :happy:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, I doubt the requirements will be much higher than Oblivion if at all. The basic game will have to run on consoles and I really can't see us getting too many bells and whistles.

Bethesda have made quite a lot of promises regarding features that make the minimum requirements higher. Like dynamic snow and all that. Although I'm no expert I would be really surprised if Skyrim doesn't have much higher minimum requirements than Oblivion.

But I can see that there are limitations when the game has to run on not too new consoles :happy:

If those features are available on the 360/PS3 then the min specs should stay low, most ports these days all have similar requirements. If they gave us some nice PC only goodies then yeah they could increase but I can't see it, they are too focused on consoles these days. :(

If those features are available on the 360/PS3 then the min specs should stay low, most ports these days all have similar requirements. If they gave us some nice PC only goodies then yeah they could increase but I can't see it, they are too focused on consoles these days. :sad:

I certainly wouldn't mind if the PC specs don't get too high, since my computer isn't exactly the best on the market. :unsure:

I have been wanting to build a new rig for sometime now, and since I´ll be graduating during the summer, I believe I'll take advantage of the situation and use the possible gift money to fund my new rig. I still haven't got the build locked, but that'll be fine since I still have quite a bit of time, But I sure as hell want to get the best out of Skyrim, and a new rig is a requisite for that..

Just because it should run on consoles doesnt mean it will be as easy to run on PC's, especially now that we have a more or less completely rewritten engine. The games on consoles are generally a lot better optimized since they only have a specific hardware and better drivers. Console-versions also rarely use higher resolution than 720p (1280×720) and even more rarely Anti-Aliasing or Anisotropic Filtering. In some cases the console-versions even have textures of lower resolution in the environment and less visual distance than the pc-version. All this mainly because they have a huge lack of vram. The overall FPS on consoles are also very low, which many PC-gamers would not accept.

So I wouldnt be too sure about that. And as already mentioned, the mod-community will most probably push the graphics a LOT farther within months.

But on the other hand, it is stupid to upgrade just for a specific game before it is relesed, or before you're sure it's not going to be delayed another 6+ months :P So lets wait and see. I hope we get some dx11 effects for PC.

Edited by Mr. Bravo

so it looks like they haven't posted the hardware requirement for Skyrim

and people are theorizing about new machines

Yes, most everything about Skyrim is theory and guesswork at this point. That's part of the fun...as well as passing time.

But as several have pointed out, this will run on current consoles so it does stand to reason that if your machine can run Oblivion, it can probably handle Skyrim as well (even if you have to tone down the settings).

LHammonds