Tutorials for Skyrim modding

LHammonds

88 members have voted

1. 1. Type of tutorials?

• Video-based tutorial
    • Text+Image tutorial
    • Text only tutorial
    • Any kind that best covers the material
  2. 2. What areas would you prefer to be covered?

• How to create tutorials
    • How to use the Creation Kit
    • Creating models with 3ds Max
    • Creating models with Blender
    • Creating textures in Adobe Photoshop
    • Creating textures in GIMP
    • Creating textures in Paint.NET
    • Creating audio for voice overs
    • Creating audio for sound FX

If I missed any primary areas for the polls, please let me know what you think should be added or if you'd like to just say what you want via a post, that is fine too.

LHammonds

Mirror thread @ Bethsoft Forums

Related thread: Creation Kit tutorials for Skyrim

I opted for "How to use the Creation Kit" in the end, however as NellSpeed correctly points out explaining things coherently is a skill in itself. Being a good modder does not make one a good teacher, proof of that can be found in many tutorials around the net that poorly explain areas or miss things completely thus rendering them useless. I also opted for video tutorials but they should be HD (720p is enough) with a decent bitrate, over compressed low res videos are no good to anyone.

I was torn between learning how to use the kit and the voice over files. I'm sure I can figure the kit out...well at least how to navigate within it. I'll never be able to manipulate the camera well. It hates me.

So I went with the voice over ...I want to be able to add voices to mods, either for my personal use or maybe for others to use in their mods as well. *shrug* I just hate silent text.

If the poll were multiple choice, I'm sure that many would just click every box...which doesn't help provide direction in what the community would like to see done first.

As it stands right now, it is obvious that Video tutorials on how to use the Creation Kit are the most-desired tutorials at the moment.

They should have a "What's new" section for veteran users.The transition between construction set and GECK was wierd, I mean, in a good way. Searching things you want, and previewing objects, who knows what they'll add next?

I think we'd really only need Creation Kit tutorials this time 'round, because most of the other programs (Blender, GIMP, etc.) are all covered on their own sites. Of course, Bethesda could throw us a curve ball and use some totally proprietary format for their meshes...