Fallout 4 announced with teaser trailer

Dark0ne

In response to post #25824664. #25824914, #25825809, #25825919, #25826019, #25826209, #25826354, #25826574, #25828999, #25830289, #25830979 are all replies on the same post.

Lisnpuppy wrote:

In response to post #25824069.

znancekivell wrote: Excellent.

In fact, I have only a single complaint about the whole trailer.

We all know that Fallout 4 will ( or should! ) let us choose which gender we want to be, so as far as the actual game is concerned this is a moot point, but I am disappointed that Bethesda chose ( yet again! ) a male stand-in for the PC instead of a female wanderer. I really am becoming utterly sick of all these Caucasian males running around in video games, and I would prefer to see some actual variety in the spice of nuclear apocalyptic life.

Love the dog, by the way. Wo/Man's best friend!

If rumours are correct there is no female player character, that's going to piss some people off, as for dudes in nearly every game...

Contains strong language.

If that is true...(and I hope to the internet deities that Bethesda has learned players want MORE choices and not less) then that may actually be a deal breaker for me. That is going backwards. The last two games you could play as female so it makes little sense why you would not be able to do so now.

It wouldn't even be totally about the fact I am female...it is at the end, choice. Bethesda seems to narrow games more and more with each one. I don't care how pretty the graphics are or if the game has drivable cars. Let me have at least a semblance of choice and be able to choose male or female.

With everything that has taken place in the past few years regarding women's place in gaming I would think that in a title that is looked forward to by so many that gender choice would be a no-brainer. I would smack of lazy and that Bethesda has had its fingers in the ears and are loudly singing "la la la la la can't hear you la la la."

jim_uk wrote: This woman was mocked at the time but so far what she's said has been on the money https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4 not just the date and location but if you check out of the developer making the spin off you'll find they're a Bethesda partner and looking to hire people with Gamebryo/id Tech experience. If the post in genuine then it's not looking good for those who want choices.
Darkspazz wrote: Good lord everyone chill out, They already hired voice actors for both the male and female character, You'll be able to play as a girl. Can y'all stop circle jerking nonsense?
SMB92 wrote: Can you back that, Darkspazz, with say, some EVIDENCE :/

Back to the topic, I don't particularly feel comfortable with having a "gender change" at the end of the story, in fact if at all. I always play my character as "Trinity" from the Matrix, this would piss me off severely. And hopefully that woman from reddit isn't joking about a new engine + map size, let's hope it's moddable. With all this talk of cutting everything else, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. But then, they'd probably want to charge wouldn't they?
JianXintou wrote: Are there any sources for these supposed VAs?

The reddit post above may not be 100% accurate but doesn't seem too far off, either.
CRBASF23 wrote: If we was really the person who leaked the information to Kotaku, why in the Kotaku article it says that they called for both Male and Female actors, when in her reddit post says you can only play as Male?
CRBASF23 wrote: Kotaku the supposed magazine which the woman leaked the info to, in it's article said that they had a casting call for both male and female VA's: http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reveal-that-fallout-4-is-real-set-in-1481322956
jim_uk wrote: Try reading the Reddit post, it says you can switch to female after the main quest, that would explain the female VA as would having women Npcs.
jediakyrol wrote: In every fallout you could play as a woman...even BoS for XBox... It would be the stupidest thing in the world if they locked you to one gender (unless it was for like a flashback chapter where you are put in the shoes of your ancestor)
frogzilla98 wrote: Yeah. White men are the devil. /s
monsterseventeen wrote: i play fallout as a woman, and most games as the same character where i can put her, the reason might seem sexist, i have put her there since oblivion on playstation 3, this was the first game i played where a player could fully customise there own character, so naturally i put myself or as close as i could as the character, then half way down the gold road toward anvil a bunch of female bandits jumped out and set about me, i killed one before feeling uncomfortable, since then i have had the same kick ass woman in every game i can, i feel a great affection for her, apart from the fact she is all i want to look at 'cos i play 3rd person, but apart from this i always try to find her romance.

If they are taking away the option to play as a female, then they are destroying the creative process of creating your own and unique character that was one of the things which I enjoyed the most in the Fallout and TES series because the different characters which I created felt alive and I could play the games again and again, always making my own and new story with a different character.

But to play with a predetermined character is making me feel like something is limiting me and I cant feel the freedom of the game anymore. But this opinion of mine is only about the Fallout and TES series. There are many games where I enjoy the predetermined protagonists.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:happy: Ahh! If it turns out the dialog of the NPC's gives us that homing in sense that MORROWIND did I'll be pleased. If the NPCs dialog is flop and drop so it doesn't have a different conversation if the choice on what to talk about is chosen... It will still be just like a comic book I want to read to see how the hero and all the rest fair since the last copy was sold on the shelf. :woot:

In response to post #25831469.

Mohamed2001 wrote:

In response to post #25821109. #25823069 is also a reply to the same post.

Rast3rMan wrote:

On Steam for £50 as a pre-order with no extra goodies!

jim_uk wrote: That could change, people should wait, there is no reason whatsoever to pre-order the thing yet, it's not like Steam is going to run out of copies. Amazon is listed a pre-order source for the game, they'll have disks which are usually cheaper, I brought the DVD versions of FNV and Skyrim from Amazon and they cost less than buying directly from Steam.

59.99EUR. Thats kinda... well that's just not the price which I imagined for Fallout 4, since games like Fallout and TES tend to have payed DLCs. But its only day 2 after the public announcement so maybe the price will change and they may add some goodies to the pre-order.

Most games are 59.99 USD/EU nowadays.

Agreed and that's not a problem but its just not what I expected after buying the Legendary Edition of Skyrim for 29.99. Okey that was back in 2013 but still. It makes me kinda worry that the game wont be as great as I imagined because they cared more about earning money than making a high quality product.

In response to post #25831469. #25831814 is also a reply to the same post.

Mohamed2001 wrote:

Rast3rMan wrote:

jim_uk wrote: That could change, people should wait, there is no reason whatsoever to pre-order the thing yet, it's not like Steam is going to run out of copies. Amazon is listed a pre-order source for the game, they'll have disks which are usually cheaper, I brought the DVD versions of FNV and Skyrim from Amazon and they cost less than buying directly from Steam.

59.99EUR. Thats kinda... well that's just not the price which I imagined for Fallout 4, since games like Fallout and TES tend to have payed DLCs. But its only day 2 after the public announcement so maybe the price will change and they may add some goodies to the pre-order.

NDDragor wrote: Agreed and that's not a problem but its just not what I expected after buying the Legendary Edition of Skyrim for 29.99. Okey that was back in 2013 but still. It makes me kinda worry that the game wont be as great as I imagined because they cared more about earning money than making a high quality product.

Umm, did you play any Fallout or TES games? They're always high quality, and we have the Nexus for the parts that arent high quality

In response to post #25824664. #25824914, #25825809, #25825919, #25826019, #25826209, #25826354, #25826574, #25828999, #25830289, #25830979, #25831614 are all replies on the same post.

Lisnpuppy wrote:

We all know that Fallout 4 will ( or should! ) let us choose which gender we want to be, so as far as the actual game is concerned this is a moot point, but I am disappointed that Bethesda chose ( yet again! ) a male stand-in for the PC instead of a female wanderer. I really am becoming utterly sick of all these Caucasian males running around in video games, and I would prefer to see some actual variety in the spice of nuclear apocalyptic life.

If rumours are correct there is no female player character, that's going to piss some people off, as for dudes in nearly every game...

If that is true...(and I hope to the internet deities that Bethesda has learned players want MORE choices and not less) then that may actually be a deal breaker for me. That is going backwards. The last two games you could play as female so it makes little sense why you would not be able to do so now.

It wouldn't even be totally about the fact I am female...it is at the end, choice. Bethesda seems to narrow games more and more with each one. I don't care how pretty the graphics are or if the game has drivable cars. Let me have at least a semblance of choice and be able to choose male or female.

With everything that has taken place in the past few years regarding women's place in gaming I would think that in a title that is looked forward to by so many that gender choice would be a no-brainer. I would smack of lazy and that Bethesda has had its fingers in the ears and are loudly singing "la la la la la can't hear you la la la."

jim_uk wrote: This woman was mocked at the time but so far what she's said has been on the money https://www.reddit.com/r/Fallout/comments/28v2dn/i_played_fallout_4 not just the date and location but if you check out of the developer making the spin off you'll find they're a Bethesda partner and looking to hire people with Gamebryo/id Tech experience. If the post in genuine then it's not looking good for those who want choices.
Darkspazz wrote: Good lord everyone chill out, They already hired voice actors for both the male and female character, You'll be able to play as a girl. Can y'all stop circle jerking nonsense?

Back to the topic, I don't particularly feel comfortable with having a "gender change" at the end of the story, in fact if at all. I always play my character as "Trinity" from the Matrix, this would piss me off severely. And hopefully that woman from reddit isn't joking about a new engine + map size, let's hope it's moddable. With all this talk of cutting everything else, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. But then, they'd probably want to charge wouldn't they?

The reddit post above may not be 100% accurate but doesn't seem too far off, either.
CRBASF23 wrote: If we was really the person who leaked the information to Kotaku, why in the Kotaku article it says that they called for both Male and Female actors, when in her reddit post says you can only play as Male?
CRBASF23 wrote: Kotaku the supposed magazine which the woman leaked the info to, in it's article said that they had a casting call for both male and female VA's: http://kotaku.com/leaked-documents-reveal-that-fallout-4-is-real-set-in-1481322956
jim_uk wrote: Try reading the Reddit post, it says you can switch to female after the main quest, that would explain the female VA as would having women Npcs.
jediakyrol wrote: In every fallout you could play as a woman...even BoS for XBox... It would be the stupidest thing in the world if they locked you to one gender (unless it was for like a flashback chapter where you are put in the shoes of your ancestor)
monsterseventeen wrote: i play fallout as a woman, and most games as the same character where i can put her, the reason might seem sexist, i have put her there since oblivion on playstation 3, this was the first game i played where a player could fully customise there own character, so naturally i put myself or as close as i could as the character, then half way down the gold road toward anvil a bunch of female bandits jumped out and set about me, i killed one before feeling uncomfortable, since then i have had the same kick ass woman in every game i can, i feel a great affection for her, apart from the fact she is all i want to look at 'cos i play 3rd person, but apart from this i always try to find her romance.
NDDragor wrote: If they are taking away the option to play as a female, then they are destroying the creative process of creating your own and unique character that was one of the things which I enjoyed the most in the Fallout and TES series because the different characters which I created felt alive and I could play the games again and again, always making my own and new story with a different character.

But to play with a predetermined character is making me feel like something is limiting me and I cant feel the freedom of the game anymore. But this opinion of mine is only about the Fallout and TES series. There are many games where I enjoy the predetermined protagonists.

This is what the kotaku article said:
The casting documents describe some of the other characters in the next Fallout's wasteland, like a radio DJ named Travis Miles and an engineer named Sturges who is described as "a cross between Buddy Holly and Vin Diesel." Casting calls for both the male and female versions of the player character note that the player begins the game in a cryogenic sleep chamber.

In response to post #25831469. #25831814, #25831939 are all replies on the same post.

Mohamed2001 wrote:

Rast3rMan wrote:

NDDragor wrote: Agreed and that's not a problem but its just not what I expected after buying the Legendary Edition of Skyrim for 29.99. Okey that was back in 2013 but still. It makes me kinda worry that the game wont be as great as I imagined because they cared more about earning money than making a high quality product.
MagicianTowel wrote: Umm, did you play any Fallout or TES games? They're always high quality, and we have the Nexus for the parts that arent high quality

I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say. Well maybe I formulated it the wrong way.

I have played all Fallout games, including Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics and the newer ones and all TES games starting from Morrowind and I would never say that these games were bad quality. The quality of these games is above high. I just meant to say that I have made the experience that sometimes products have a higher price then their predecessor but lose in quality to them and that's because somebody wanted to make more money.

Again, my intention wasn't to sound like the previous Fallout and TES games were bad quality and that I am assuming that Fallout 4 will be bad. Edited by NDDragor

In response to post #25832509.

digitaltrucker wrote: Do any of you who are actually familiar with the Fallout franchise (or for that matter TES) truly believe that Bethesda would limit the player to a specific gender? That would be such a massive reversal of their traditional gameplay that it's frankly unbelievable. I don't buy it.

+11111111111111111111111111

In response to post #25824664. #25824914, #25825809, #25825919, #25826019, #25826209, #25826354, #25826574, #25828999, #25830289, #25830979, #25831614, #25832299 are all replies on the same post.

Lisnpuppy wrote:

NDDragor wrote: If they are taking away the option to play as a female, then they are destroying the creative process of creating your own and unique character that was one of the things which I enjoyed the most in the Fallout and TES series because the different characters which I created felt alive and I could play the games again and again, always making my own and new story with a different character.

CRBASF23 wrote: This is what the kotaku article said:
The casting documents describe some of the other characters in the next Fallout's wasteland, like a radio DJ named Travis Miles and an engineer named Sturges who is described as "a cross between Buddy Holly and Vin Diesel." Casting calls for both the male and female versions of the player character note that the player begins the game in a cryogenic sleep chamber.

@CRBASF23: Thanks for the source.

" it says you can switch to female after the main quest"
That sounds like an odd design decision. "Hey, you're done with the MQ, congrats. Now you can go to some big MT-esque geniuses that can change your sex!"

"a new "Classic Mode" that will put the game into birds eye view and play similar to the classic Fallout Games."
This sounds curious, kind of like DA. Not sure how this will play out if it's true.