ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

Fallout 4 announced with teaser trailer

Dark0ne

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys think the infamous Reddit post was a marketing trick by Bethesda? To stir up the fans a little and then calm them down at E3?

I mean, the post itself was pretty obviously designed to piss people off. You have the obvious 'no female' part, the 'like FOBOS part' (nobody liked FOBOS) - it seems to be aimed directly at causing controversy.

Now watch the E3 presentation. 'Of course you can play as a female' got Howard an applause. An enthusiastic applause for a feature that has been in games for decades (and in every single Fallout game) already - as if they discovered it completely from nothing. That is some genius marketing.

Edited by kkk122

In response to post #26138034.

The Vampire Dante wrote:

Where are the skills? they were absent during chargen and no mention was made of them, this looks like a perk, not a skill http://i.imgur.com/g3BFJ7E.png

You mean these?

http://i.imgur.com/yQmkgdb.png

These look awfully like SPECIAL stats - attributes. Skills are upgraded every level and there are supposed to be much more of them (like barter, speech, unarmed, energy weapons - that kind of stuff). Attributes are picked up at the start and only increased under specific circumstances - perks, bobbleheads, implants - depending on the game. Edited by kkk122

In response to post #26138394.

kkk122 wrote: Do you guys think the infamous Reddit post was a marketing trick by Bethesda? To stir up the fans a little and then calm them down at E3?

I mean, the post itself was pretty obviously designed to piss people off. You have the obvious 'no female' part, the 'like FOBOS part' (nobody liked FOBOS) - it seems to be aimed directly at causing controversy.

Now watch the E3 presentation. 'Of course you can play as a female' got Howard an applause. An enthusiastic applause for a feature that has been in games for decades (and in every single Fallout game) already - as if they discovered it completely from nothing. That is some genius marketing.

Sigh- EVERYTHING in the leak was correct at the time. The woman had up-to-date knowledge of the marketing and PR plans, but her information about the game content was clearly one year out-of-date (and this was a year ago).

So:
1) Bethesda decided to add a fully voiced female option (for reasons everyone of you here should be able to guess).
2) Bethesda finally cancelled the Xbox360 and PS3 versions, but Fallout 4 was completely compromised by always being a project predicated on some form of last-gen release.
3) Bethesda cancelled the NEW next-gen engine, and reverted back to an improved version of the Skyrim engine that had also targeted the last-gen consoles. Why? Because next-gen engines run too slowly on the Xbox One.

Yesterday's reveal (you are an android with IMPLANTED memories- hence the reason you THINK you can be a 200-year-old Human) fits with the android theme. And yes, I know many of you here, for reasons beyond comprehension, will continue to deny the "androids in Boston" theme until Bethesda officially reminds you of the existing LORE laid down by Fallout 3.

Game development is an ever changing process. If time allows features are added. But the Reddit leak had an insane amount of detail, and only a prize idiot or that useless tabloid web-site, would continue to deny that the leaker had perfect inside information at the time.

But many times in my life, in many areas, I have watched as massive leaks are successfully defused by FUD campaigns by the authorities effected, in conspiracy with so-called 'journalistic' entities. Later, long after the sheeple have forgotten, the original leak is proven true beyond any possible doubt.

What impresses me most about the Reddit leak is how Bethesda has kept perfectly to their PR and release schedule. No last minute delays. Their management deserves the greatest praise for this - a wonderful piece of professional competence in an industry known for the opposite.

In response to post #26128534. #26131759 is also a reply to the same post.

JianXintou wrote: Quick recap for anyone who hasn't watched the E3 footage yet

-VA PCs: Confirmed, whether this will be an issue will probably depend upon wether you have subtitle options like in past FO games where dialogue and subtitles match. Then a mod that disables the VA probably shouldn't be an issue.

- Male only character creation: Debunked. You can choose.

- No character customization: Debunked. You get a dynamic system that works without sliders. Footage didn't show whether there are different body types but there may be. Personal note: I do like the prospect of making characters that don't require 20 mods to look human.

- PA customization: Confirmed. You can individualize the whole thing. And there's a layered armor system now.

- Extended Weapon customization: Confirmed. You can pretty much customize weapons to the degree that you can change weapon type.

- Vehicles/Vertibirds: Confirmed. Footage didn't show whether you can fly a vertibird yourself but you can get into them (and apparently call them via flare).

- PC awakens from a cryogenic sleep chamber: Still up in the air, seems likely though as it's indicated that the PC has been gone for 2 centuries.

- You get to play pre-War: Confirmed. At least to the degree that you can play bits of pre-war for the intro.

Id tech engine: Debunked. It's a modified version of the Creation Engine. Personal Note: From the looks of it, I'd wager it's 64 bit. With everything that's going and the expo looking like a console version I'd say it kinda has to be.
While this is nothing definitive I'd say this a clear hint in the direction that mods for FO4 won't be an issue.

Other notable things:
1. The option to build and customize your own settlements (and send/lead carvans between them)
2. More dynamic VATS, it looks a bit to me like a combo of VATS and bullet time.
3. More dynamic pipboy, animated icons, pipboy game/recording holotapes and the likes.
4. Release date is 10th of November so everyone who's been assuming it'd come this year was right (honestly doesn't seem surprising, with all the momentum building up it would've been stupid to announce it this early with another year or more of wait)
LadyMilla wrote: There is a Body option on the toolbar during the face generation demo (at 1:12:13 on Youtube) so I guess there is some sort of body customization too.

The Reddit leak has been COMPLETELY vindicated. Yes, the woman had game design documents that seem to have been at least one year old when she leaked them, so things have changed in the meantime- especially the choice by Bethesda to ADD a voiced female option as well. But the Reddit leak marketing plans have proven to be 100% ON-THE-NOSE. Or perhaps you think the lady was psychic?

So NOTHING from her leak has been 'debunked' (learn what that word means). The game design has merely changed or improved in the meantime. I think around 1.5 years back, the team finally knew the PS3 and Xbox360 versions were dead (but the damage to the ambition of Fallout 4 had already been done by targeting those platforms since 2009).

This means 1.5 years of hard, next-gen only development improvements, and we saw some of this in the presentation last-nite. But the engine remains firmly nothing more than an improved version of Skyrim, with a surprising amount of old fallout 3 like assets (like the particle effects) still in use.

PS which is more likely- you are a Futurama style beneficiary of a 'cryogenic' freezing chamber or an ANDROID with implanted memories. I know it might be annoying to have such details spoilt by the Reddit leak, but Bethesda certainly didn't alter the core story.

In response to post #26128534. #26131759, #26139094 are all replies on the same post.

JianXintou wrote: Quick recap for anyone who hasn't watched the E3 footage yet

-VA PCs: Confirmed, whether this will be an issue will probably depend upon wether you have subtitle options like in past FO games where dialogue and subtitles match. Then a mod that disables the VA probably shouldn't be an issue.

- Male only character creation: Debunked. You can choose.

- No character customization: Debunked. You get a dynamic system that works without sliders. Footage didn't show whether there are different body types but there may be. Personal note: I do like the prospect of making characters that don't require 20 mods to look human.

- PA customization: Confirmed. You can individualize the whole thing. And there's a layered armor system now.

- Extended Weapon customization: Confirmed. You can pretty much customize weapons to the degree that you can change weapon type.

- Vehicles/Vertibirds: Confirmed. Footage didn't show whether you can fly a vertibird yourself but you can get into them (and apparently call them via flare).

- PC awakens from a cryogenic sleep chamber: Still up in the air, seems likely though as it's indicated that the PC has been gone for 2 centuries.

- You get to play pre-War: Confirmed. At least to the degree that you can play bits of pre-war for the intro.

Id tech engine: Debunked. It's a modified version of the Creation Engine. Personal Note: From the looks of it, I'd wager it's 64 bit. With everything that's going and the expo looking like a console version I'd say it kinda has to be.
While this is nothing definitive I'd say this a clear hint in the direction that mods for FO4 won't be an issue.

Other notable things:
1. The option to build and customize your own settlements (and send/lead carvans between them)
2. More dynamic VATS, it looks a bit to me like a combo of VATS and bullet time.
3. More dynamic pipboy, animated icons, pipboy game/recording holotapes and the likes.
4. Release date is 10th of November so everyone who's been assuming it'd come this year was right (honestly doesn't seem surprising, with all the momentum building up it would've been stupid to announce it this early with another year or more of wait)
LadyMilla wrote: There is a Body option on the toolbar during the face generation demo (at 1:12:13 on Youtube) so I guess there is some sort of body customization too.
zanity wrote: The Reddit leak has been COMPLETELY vindicated. Yes, the woman had game design documents that seem to have been at least one year old when she leaked them, so things have changed in the meantime- especially the choice by Bethesda to ADD a voiced female option as well. But the Reddit leak marketing plans have proven to be 100% ON-THE-NOSE. Or perhaps you think the lady was psychic?

So NOTHING from her leak has been 'debunked' (learn what that word means). The game design has merely changed or improved in the meantime. I think around 1.5 years back, the team finally knew the PS3 and Xbox360 versions were dead (but the damage to the ambition of Fallout 4 had already been done by targeting those platforms since 2009).

This means 1.5 years of hard, next-gen only development improvements, and we saw some of this in the presentation last-nite. But the engine remains firmly nothing more than an improved version of Skyrim, with a surprising amount of old fallout 3 like assets (like the particle effects) still in use.

PS which is more likely- you are a Futurama style beneficiary of a 'cryogenic' freezing chamber or an ANDROID with implanted memories. I know it might be annoying to have such details spoilt by the Reddit leak, but Bethesda certainly didn't alter the core story.

I see we have our foremost authoreteah on FO here. Please, give us more of your infinite wisdom.

In response to post #26132669.

jim_uk wrote: Where are the skills? they were absent during chargen and no mention was made of them, this looks like a perk, not a skill http://i.imgur.com/g3BFJ7E.png

I liked the Pipboy boot screen, some of the oldies will have recognised it...

http://i.imgur.com/6kQMhOY.gif

There most likely won't be any skills. SPECIAL info doesn't mention them.

In response to post #25904771. #25911555, #25926789, #25929359, #26036104 are all replies on the same post.

digitaltrucker wrote:

For all of you who are putting any stock whatsoever in that stupid reddit post, yet more proof it's a load of BS. This is in addition to this.

Hey guys! I used to work for Bethesda too! Until I got fired for doing obscene things to Todd Howard's Twinkie stash, that is! I played TES VI: Atmora! It's full of flying monkeys and magical talking sweetrolls! It's also designed exclusively for Android smartphones and the Super Nintendo console! The player character is going to be a giant were-mudcrab!

Get a grip.

TheCourier13 wrote: Indeed.
SMB92 wrote: Well I'm relieved if this is true. The uncertainty is killing me.

But I can't help but think this is gonna be another x86 (32-bit), buggy-ass Gamebyro driven game, those graphics sure look like it maybe in DX10 or 11 (I think it's safe to say it won't be DX12 lol) but that might not mean much if it is on the same buggy crap we've been getting for years now.

And I sincerely hope that it will be 3 times bigger than Skyrim mapwise :)
Camonna Tong wrote: From what I saw it was impossible for the engine they are using to be 32-bit. There is no way they would have that big of a city if it was 32-bit. Also, if they're only using a 32-bit engine, that would be dumb, as there would be 1.3 GB of RAM they won't be able to use for the consoles. (4.5 gb is for the games, 3.5 gb is for the OS) For Bethesda games, that's huge. That's several times what the 360 and PS3 had for their games. There was 512 MB for the PS3 and 360, but some of that is also the OS, (they never specify how much) so it's probably at least 100 MB less. Finally, DX11 and Parallax is in Fallout 4. That's another reason of many it wouldn't be 32-bit only. They will run out of RAM fast and just have so many CTDs and problems if it's not 64-bit. Skyrim itself had several problems without mods that 64-bit would have solved.

My, my- the lady must have been psychic, as the Sunday reveal matched the PR campaign and release details in the leak 100%.

Her information, at the time of the leak, was up-to-date with respect to the game's marketing plans, and clearly at least 12 months out-of-date with respect to the game design plans. As someone who understands the business, this is to be expected. Game plan documents may be re-written every SIX MONTHS or so, so someone in the company but not involved directly with the core programmers/artists may have only read a game plan document from some time earlier in the projects history.

I'm amused at the people who clutch at straws trying to FUD her leak- and for why? Bethesda PR people get a salary. THEY have a financial incentive. What incentive do foolish fans have in denying the truth?

The reviews of Fallout 4 will hit before the game can be played, so the ANDROID theme will be common knowledge long before the first of us steps foot in the new world. I'm not sure it even counts as a SPOILER given the clarity of Boston's significance in Fallout 3.

The hate thrown at the Reddit revelation reminds me of the hate thrown by complete idiots at the information provided by Snowden. Authority in general wishes to TRAIN lesser people to ONLY pay attention to information emanating from sources approved by the authority. Smarter people treat official outlets with the contempt they deserve - not wishing to be dupes manipulated by the tactics of PR.

At the end of the day, the TRUTH is the TRUTH, no matter what you may wish. The Reddit post may have been motivated by inappropriate concerns, but it was still an attempt to inform us about the truth of a subject we all have an interest in. Shoot the messenger if you wish (fools always do) but doing so won't change the reality of the message.

I do have to add sorry but you didn't notice every clue? Location, armor, weapons, land marks, skills, armor, possible crafting of armor, story, that video said a ton... then last night at around 7pm it just confirmed it all and some... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0E4wviq9Jc Fallout 4 is going to be amazing.