Failed to load Cursor, Not allowed to uninstall

Jobefobfob

Ok. This is a very long story, so I'll try to keep it as short as possible, with as little profanity as I can hold back. I'm very upset right now, to say the least.

I had just gotten into Morrowind again these past few days, and it was working just fantastic... Until I decided I wanted to try MGE. I installed the two expansions (I hadn't before hand because of streamlining the game. Not going into the expansions till I was done with the one beforehand) yada-yada. Got the error about a snowflake once Bloodmoon was installed, fixed it quick with "Run as Administrator". Bam, problem solved.

Now for the MGE problems, no matter what settings I used, and even without Distant Land on, the game would crash as soon as I left the boat in Seyda Neen (I'm an "altoholic"). So I uninstalled the game as I didn't want to mess with the inner files, I wasn't able to recognize what was MGE and what was MW aside from the obvious. Installed again, to full... And MGE is still there.

So, this part is my fault, I went into the program files, shift click, delete, all gone. Then I couldn't uninstall the game, so I did a system restore to a few days beforehand. Installed the expansions just to do it, and I get this error (Minus the forward):

Data Files/Music/Special/morrowind.title.mp3

I am using Vista, so the CODEC fixer thingy-maboober doesn't work. And, here is the kicker, the file isn't even *in* the Morrowind file bank (A solution I read was to change the mp3 file to something "obscure" and it would give the error but still play when you hit yes). Yup. So I try uninstalling. Install Shield loads up *DUNG* NOT ALLOWED. Apparently there is *another* file missing that won't even allow me to uninstall the freakin' game!

So! I do *another* system restore to the same date. Try playing without expansions...

Failed to load cursor: Meshes\cursor.nif.nif "Meshes\cursor.nif cannot load file"

Uninstall... *DUNG* NOPE YOU CANT HAHA.

I would normally at this stage beat my PCs face in. But that would get me further from fixing the issue. I really *REALLY* want to play this game again, I had just picked out a practical selection of skills for my character too...

The secondary choice to making my computer die in a brutal beatdown is to do a 100% restore to factory condition. I do this often as I never really have anything on there that can't be installed quickly. However I have a really annoying HP that gives me an error in doing so making me have to "re-tattoo the hard drive" and I really don't want to go through that bull-s*** again.

So... Yea! What the f*** do I do here? I recognize that the issue is I deleted some files that cannot be restored through a "time-warp" and that is what is denying me my game. But how do I go about getting them *back* and putting them in the right places? Should I just restore to factory condition and go through the hassle of the re-tattoo crud? Can someone send me the Morrowind files with instructions on wear to put them? Or should I just commit suicide?

Actually things began to go bad when you changed to run as the administrator instead installing outside protected folders (C:\Program Files and it's x86 akin are BAD news).

Although not sure it being the real problem I have reasons to suppose the game is installed there and you run it on Vista or 7. Since you are at the very beginning, uninstall and install somewhere else, something like C:\Games\Morrowind will do the trick.

Notice that is valid for any game you install from now on, some may work from those protected folders, some may work for a time before things going wild, most will refuse to run from start and is lucky thing when happens that soon.

I use Windows 7 Professional, 64 bit, and am having no trouble whatsoever. Could it be that MGE is the cause of this problem, not the fact that the user has changed to run as system administrator. That should not be a cause, as I am both system administrator and the sole user.

There is a way that this problem could be bypassed however. I use 3 separate hard drives. C drive is purely for the O/S and the various drivers, and of course for some programmes that absolutely need to be on C drive, such as Java and Python.

D drive is exclusively for other programmes - games, and programme files and other associated programmes.

E drive is just for my personal data, such as Microsoft Office files and the like, as well as copies of my downloads.

• 4 months later...

Sorry, a tad later reply but.

Themissive, you are doing the right thing from start, installing and running games from another partition is good. Normally the user account on windows has administrative rights on particular computers... so the question: Why should that user run as "The Administrator"?

The answer is in the way Vista and Windows 7 treat their "specially protected folders" and in the UAC. Using the windows superuser account can bypass some cases where the common user can't (even if on an administrative account)... but not everything and with time this behavior just accumulate problems.

It's not spread as it should that the problem is not about user access rights most of times... the problem derives from the "application" is not the "user" even when inherits some the user's privileges, thus it may and many time is seen as trying to invade the computer by the security mechanism. This is specially true when the application trying to access the resource is not the "main" application and run after/over it, like utilities, plugins and mods.

What I meant is needing to run as The Administrator is symptom that something is already wrong, mainly when the user account is administrative itself. The solution is always simple than trying to fix things afterward...

which is: " just avoid installing games under any specially protected folders, which include but is not limited to C:\Program Files; C:\Program Files (x86); any folder under the C:\User (what includes the Documents folder); the Desktop and, of course, the C:\Windows folder".