How to fix all the broken links?

SeedReaper

Hey mods, normal ppls...

I am sure many of you have noticed that a lot (Probably thousands) of links that are in mod descriptions, or in the fora, are broken ever since the domain name changed from [game].nexusmods.com/ to nexusmods.com/[game]/

My question is, after half an hour of googling on the subject, is there any way to automagically change the way my browser accesses those links? I mean, if I were even a bad programmer, I would be able to write a script to hunt through the site and correct every instance, but I'm no programmer at all. So it is to me to try and figure out how to do it with already-existing software on the client side. Because i'm lazy and don't like doing it by hand every time :P

Any help is immensely appreciated.

Yea it should be easy enough to write a greasemonkey/tampermonkey userscript that will automatically convert those links.

I learned some basic javascript, so I know how to do simple redirects from 1 page to another.. Actually wrote my own script to fix old oblivion nexus links since the tesnexus itself is still up, but broken and doesnt redirect properly.

. But in this case, since those servers are entirely down, that kind of script wouldn't work ,because you can't seem to load user scripts on failed to load domains/pages.

But you can write one to just run on all nexusmod pages and dynamically adjust the url to match the new formatting. Would work on every nexus site, though not third party sites. (you could enable script globally to work everywhere too, but personally wouldn't do that)

Someone experienced at scripting could probably do a skyrim specific script in 5min. One that would work on every nexus site would take a bit more work, but not much.

Whoa, what? This site, at least for me, has ALWAYS been http://www.nexusmods.com/game. None of the links or my links I have saved are broken. Everything works perfectly fine as it always had.

This is so strange reading this. I've only been here since June 2013 though... but yeah, this site has always come up as "nexusmods.com/game/" for me. I'm befuddled on how, so far, the few of you say your links use to be "game.nexusmods.com/".

EDIT: Sorry, I know what I wrote didn't help any. I do know programmers/script writers though. I'll see if anyone wants to help with your problem.

Edited by Baibaihe

Whoa, what? This site, at least for me, has ALWAYS been http://www.nexusmods.com/game. None of the links or my links I have saved are broken. Everything works perfectly fine as it always had.

This is so strange reading this. I've only been here since June 2013 though... but yeah, this site has always come up as "nexusmods.com/game/" for me. I'm befuddled on how, so far, the few of you say your links use to be "game.nexusmods.com/".

Fairly sure it was [game].nexusmods.com/ in June 2013. Anyhow, somewhat irrelevant I guess, other than to say there was a point in time where it was [game].nexusmods.com/

Same here. I had like 17 pages worth of Skyrim mods on Google docs and now they don't work. Nice job, Nexus.

Well, if it's on Google Docs, you should just do CTRL-H and replace skyrim.nexusmods.com/ by www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/ or something along those lines. Basically, just figure out the exact nomenclature change and use CTRL-H to do that change instantly across your 17 pages worth of Skyrim Mods.

Edited by PrimalSavage

Fairly sure it was [game].nexusmods.com/ in June 2013. Anyhow, somewhat irrelevant I guess, other than to say there was a point in time where it was [game].nexusmods.com/

I don't doubt this at all, since people are having a problem. I'm sure you are right... I just don't ever remember it being that way and all my links are listed this new way.

Anyway, I do remember having a 'link' type of issue such as this before. I wasn't for Nexus. It was for a website I created... but I will use Nexus as an example.

I opened up my list of links in Dreamweaver and highlighted [game].nexusmods.com. Then I right clicked and selected Find and Replace. In the replace section I wrote nexusmods.com/[game] and then clicked on Replace All. All my links, lets say for Skyrim, then changed from [game].nexusmods.com/mods/21350 to nexusmods.com/[game]/mods/21350

You can do this in Notepad as well. Like PrimalSavage said, it's CRTL H. Or in Notepad go to Edit > Replace. Type in [game].nexusmods.com and replace it with nexusmods.com/[game]. Then click on Replace All. Without the brackets of course.

This method obviously only works for those who have their links saved on a document. If your links are all saved in bookmarks, you'll have to open your bookmark manager, right click on the links and select edit.

Edited by Baibaihe

I have already changed some of the links in my tutorials. I may have to change them back if this changes again. I will be holding off on any more changes to my links until I see where this is going. :confused: