How to fix all the broken links?

SeedReaper

I'm clicking on a bunch of old links right now and they're all redirecting to the new links. So... it seems like this problem has been fixed.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a bunch!

And thanks, Robin, for your response. It appears to have been fixed now. I didn't know that it was a problem. I thought it had been a design decision on your part.

• 3 years later...

We'll be fixing the DNS issue with the old domains soon enough, I'm sure.

So when will this fix be applied? I've decided today to replay Fallout New Vegas, and every link in a mod description that I clicked on just got me this:

Not found

The mod you were looking for couldn't be found

Or perhaps you should run the script mentioned in this thread on all the mod descriptions?

I've also tried to use copy/paste to get the name of the mod into the search field, but unfortunately, when you copy a link you get the link address and not the description.

If the link still contains the mod ID you can paste that into the current link format :smile:

Thanks, that sort of works, but it makes opening every link a four step process:

1. copy the link somewhere
  2. copy the id
  3. open a new tab with an url for a mod
  4. paste the mod id in, making sure to replace the id all of the id and nothing but the id

It would handier if links worked the way they are supposed to. You know, a link is supposed to be one-click. :dry:

By the way, I've just been on Github, in the "report a bug" section, the bug has been reported on February the 3, been assigned a number on February the 7th, however nobody seems to be working on it. Link

Well, most mod authors seem to have moved on to newer games and consider their older mods ass finished, so expecting them to update descriptions that were finished well before the change of the links is somewhat optimistic. For example the last update of Project Nevada was in 2014. Have you contacted the mod authors about this problem, maybe they are not even aware that it exists? However, you may also get answers like "I didn't break it, so why should I be the one to fix it."

Apparently it had been fixed by this DNS redirection in 2015, so why is that no longer working?

• 1 month later...

I am having similar issues with the links in all my funnies. This will be at least the 4th time that Nexus Addresses have changed and there is nothing in place to automatically.

On previous occasions I have to manually edit the descriptions and code for each piece of uploaded work. The last time I did it, it took me 3 weeks. See.... https://www.nexusmod...m/images/398295

The issue for me is that I now have over 1400 cartoons uploaded to Nexus and it seems that Skyrim, Fall Out 4 and ESO and all affected (ie, the majority of the work).

Each image is linked a minimum of 3 times, and many have dozens of links. So I would have to change 1000's upon 1000's of links. All with no guarantee that Nexus will not change the addresses again.

When you change the website addresses, there must be some kind of automatic process that can be put in place to change the old links across the site at the same time surely?

Hopefully Nexus can sort this out? (rather than me loosing a month of my life on what is always a souls destroying process).

Fingers crossed

Reimar

It's something we may find an automatic fix for in future, but for now, it's really up to the mod authors to update their pages for the new links. It's been several years since the switch.

A lot of the broken links are from games like Fallout 3, Fallout News Vegas, where the modder isn't coming back

I am having similar issues with the links in all my funnies. This will be at least the 4th time that Nexus Addresses have changed and there is nothing in place to automatically.

On previous occasions I have to manually edit the descriptions and code for each piece of uploaded work. The last time I did it, it took me 3 weeks. See.... https://www.nexusmod...m/images/398295

The issue for me is that I now have over 1400 cartoons uploaded to Nexus and it seems that Skyrim, Fall Out 4 and ESO and all affected (ie, the majority of the work).

Each image is linked a minimum of 3 times, and many have dozens of links. So I would have to change 1000's upon 1000's of links. All with no guarantee that Nexus will not change the addresses again.

When you change the website addresses, there must be some kind of automatic process that can be put in place to change the old links across the site at the same time surely?

Hopefully Nexus can sort this out? (rather than me loosing a month of my life on what is always a souls destroying process).

Fingers crossed

Reimar

Hi Reimar,

I have sent you a PM regarding the issue.