Mehrunes Dagon is liar.

Lehcar

Mehrunes Dagon's promises of greatness and ascended mortality to those who follow him are all bunk. He doesn't mean any of it; that book he wrote is just his method of manipulating foolish mortals and tricking them into helping him take over and destroy the mortal realm. Had the heroes of Arena and Cyrodiil not stopped him before things could go that far, he would have betrayed his faithful mortal servants and destroyed them too. Tharn and Camoran were nothing more than worthless pawns to him.

I think he truly does not care in the least about the Mythic Dawn and is just using them, given the number of imprisoned and dead Mythic Dawn agents we see inside the Oblivion gates. :pinch:

Edited by Lehcar

Well, think about it this way, Mehrunes was only using them for the reason that they were letting them into Cyrodill, and because Mehrunes needed a way, the book they use is just brainwashing material to gain the masses. think about that in the end, people will believe anything if it is drilled into there heads, as much times as possible...

Kill the Dremora! Down With DAGON

No tyrant, in fantasy or real life, ever really cares/d about those underneath him/her. It's about all-consuming greed... greed for power, and the fact that they see anybody else as nothing but tools to achieve that power. One thing is certain: all tyrants fall.

How dare you speak of Lord Dagon that way!! Blasphemy :P

It's true though...and ya stole the end of my story :P My character is going to face Cameron and say pretty much say what you said.

Mehrunes Dagon's promises of greatness and ascended mortality to those who follow him are all bunk. He doesn't mean any of it; that book he wrote is just his method of manipulating foolish mortals and tricking them into helping him take over and destroy the mortal realm. Had the heroes of Arena and Cyrodiil not stopped him before things could go that far, he would have betrayed his faithful mortal servants and destroyed them too. Tharn and Camoran were nothing more than worthless pawns to him.

I think he truly does not care in the least about the Mythic Dawn and is just using them, given the number of imprisoned and dead Mythic Dawn agents we see inside the Oblivion gates. :pinch:

I wish it was possible to become a God in TES4, then you could do something about the Daedra besides seal them up for a few years.

Edited by Lazilot

Yes, there are imprisoned and dead Mythic Dawn servants. they have obviously screwed up badly in some way and have been punished, and given that they are dead, it's far more merciful than he could have been.The Daedra are regarded as villains, especially Dagon. Why? Because they are part of irrefutable truths of existence. Stuff happens. It isnt all pretty pictures or beauty or love or being civilized or happy fun nature time or other lofty ideal the Nine represent. these are all good things, yes, but the mortals of Nirn push the shadow away and are ashamed of it.

Natural disasters and destruction (to remain on topic here) exist because the universe exists. they're necessary for the balance.there's a dremora in Battlespire who drops a hint in dialogue about the importance of the Balance, but refuses to elaborate, saying it isn't necessary for your character to know more and he wouldn't understand it anyway.

If things weren't destroyed over time (decay) the world would pile up with dead bodies. There would be no soil to grow crops, because soil occurs from the breakdown (destruction) of organic matter and rock. forest fires are necessary to the continued well-being of the forest. I could go on, but you get my point.

People hate this, because they are too short-sighted to appreciate the need for such things in existence. so how does this go with the established lore then? It doesn't so much, because Bethesda takes the somewhat lazy way out by creating a black and white morality for it. if they had applied more shades of gray instead of applying broad brush strokes of 'destruction bad, Dagon bad!' it would have been a richer and more interesting lore.

As for him making use of the Mythic Dawn, well, don't they use him too? They want power, riches, a means to their ends, whatever. It's a two way street.

It also stands to reason that the other daedric entities also have a sort of 'gray and gray morality'. The in-game NPCs might see things in black and white, as do some people in reality, but Bethesda making the lore stricty black and white limits an opportunity for a richer storyline.

Edited by dunmermaiden

THIS JUST IN MEHRUNES DAGON IS A DOUCHE!

I shall alert the press!

I never liked Dagon as a bad guy personally, guy has no endgame. He wants to destroy things but cannot destroy anything in Oblivion in any permanent sense so wants to destroy Tamriel.....ok then what?

Maybe, but the daedra are immortal, how can a citizen of nirn ever hope to defeat a race that is far older ( Think Thousands or Hundreds Of Thousands ) and whom their society is built upon warcraft and accomplishments? The High Elves live for a thousand year, Human types, 100 tops. How can they beat a dremora with so many more years of experience at battle and war?

Answer: The Nirn citizen cannot without the dremora allowing him/her to be defeated. ( Maybe it's why the dremora leap off balconys in the citadels )

And as for destruction, it merely makes way for new creation.

He is not that stupid to destroy everything and mess it all up, He knows his sphere and balance is used. He is the God of Destruction, and whether people like it or not is irrelevent, destruction is necessary for existance, as much as air is to breathe and water to drink.

It is a shame people do not see destruction as it really is and view it instead as a wholy bad thing when it is not. It is actually necessary for survival.

I always sort of equate Dagon as the Elder Scrolls equivelent of the Biblical Devil...basically, he is all about evil, and has no redeeming values. Anybody serving him can only expect to gain anything as long as they prove useful to him, he feels neither loyalty nor caring for his subjects and minions. Not the sort of being any sane creature would voluntarily want to follow...