File tags and you

Dark0ne

Perhaps one of the most under used features on the Nexus sites is the file tagging and searching system. In a nut-shell file tagging allows files to be categorised much more deeply than just being placed in a single category that may contain thousands of files. It's a great way to drill down in to the thousands of mods on the Nexus sites and look for something much more specific using the "Tag Search" link found in the right navigation.

There is however an issue with the amount of untagged files on the sites. Files can be tagged by both file authors and logged in members; if an author tags a file it becomes instantly tagged where as 3 normal members need to approve a tag for a file before it becomes confirmed. A confirmed tag allows that file to be found using the tag search. The current number of tagged files on the sites is as follows:

• TESNexus: 8,868 tagged files out of 24,393 = 37%
  • FO3Nexus: 4,644 tagged files out of 11,049 = 42%
  • DANexus: 953 tagged files out of 1,606 = 59%
  • NVNexus: 2794 tagged files out of 4,530 = 62%

Those figures would suggest that the smaller percentages on TESNexus and FO3Nexus are a result of the tagging system being introduced after many files had been uploaded and authors had moved on from the scene. These files become the responsibility of the community to tag themselves. As a result I have added the number of tags a file has to the Tags tab on a file page (bracketed as usual). Files that have no tags will be highlighted red so that you know this file needs tagging. Tagging files not only helps the community but, once confirmed, will give you Activity Points on the site.

Having said that New Vegas Nexus was launched after the tagging system was introduced which suggests that close to 40% of mod authors are not tagging their files. Tagging your files increases their visibility in the community so more people can find your files and it takes about 20 seconds to do. There's no reason not to!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tagged many files over the years(I fallowed LHammonds example; he teached me a lot), including the few files I have. The only thing that stopped me from doing that as much as I used to is this new AP sistem. I got a huge amount of points when the sistem was activated and a fair amount after, since I continued to tag files. I don't realy know how to put this, or mayby I'm wrong and it's just my imagination, but I don't want people to think I'm doing that just for the AP(Hey...look at that guy...man he's desperate, NOT!). I was the "number 1 spammer" for to long. I don't want to have the same reputation again, even if it was funny. :rolleyes:

It was an inspired idea to add the red colour to files that don't have any tags as people asociate red with "problems" and not having tags can become a problem, in this case making a whole sistem worthless.

So start tagging peopple, it's for your own good.

Edited by Pushkatu

I go on a tagging-spree many times each week! :)

I'm currently focusing on Morrowind mods, so that we can finish tagging that first, as it's quite a lot fewer mods for that. Then i'll move back to Oblivion, and try to tag as many files as possible.

And like Push, I don't do this for the AP (Though, it is a plus) - I do it for the community! :D

Does this affect the uploader and/or other authors not just the main author's rights? If you get what I mean. But yeah too bad the only mod I worked on was Return of Shadows and I had to leave on it because of College reasons. Hmm maybe I should start making mods.

Thanks for the info Dark0ne would give you a Kudos but already did before.

Is there any way to get a percentage of the Oblivion & Morrowind mods separately?

130 Files tagged today on TESNexus. Will continue tomorrow. :D

(if we get 120 people to do this one day, TESNexus will be fully tagged^^)

Edited by Zaldiir

I also think that some tagging should be reported as inaccurate. When engouh people think so (see wieghting that with new voting system) then the tag should be removed.

I mean, seriously lightsabers are lore-friendly???

When someone tag something, you can disagree, and it will be removed.

Though, this is not the case with confirmed tags, and the author can simply give a mod every tag, and have it come up in every search, and no one can do anything about it but to report it.

So, as Grumpf_be said, adding a function that allows disagreeing with confirmed tags by having 3 people disagree would be a logical and good feature.