File tags and you

Dark0ne

It's a pity that certain mods do not fit into any of the listed categories, e.g. there is no 'Race', 'Pose' or 'New Quests' category on FO3nexus, which makes it difficult to properly tag some of the mods.

I don't see a Race category, but there is Poses and Quests and Adventures on FO3Nexus for the latter two examples you give; TESNexus and DANexus do have race categories as well as the others.

Poses, Quests and Adventures are categories and not tags. Tag search does not allow you to limit your search to a certain category, so if you are looking for quests/adventures (<--- a file category) that match a certain selection of tags (e.g. Lore-friendly, Language - German on FO3nexus) then the tags are useless for you. This could be resolved by adding each file category as tags to the Tag Search feature.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An idea would be to make file tagging a necessity. Like when you upload your mod, you need to complete some fields with information first and only them upload the file. So if each modder will have to tag their files before they can upload the mod, that will save us a lot of trouble. It will take them a minute to do that and since they are the authors they know better what tags are good for their mods. The red colour helps, but you still need to hunt down mods and that takes time. Modders should have a little more responsability regarding their files and the information that comes with them.

Cheers,

Pushkatu!

Edited by Pushkatu

Whenever I read anyone saying that "modders should..." do something, I always think "or else... what?"

In this case it seems to me that the "or else" is that they won't be able to post their mods here.

The more speed bumps placed by others between a modder and a player, the less likely the modder will bother.

Sure, SOME modders will take the time, but requiring ALL modders to do so? Simply for some added convenience for the player? I think that's a way to discourage contributions.

I think Push simply means that it would be nice if more modders had the responsibility some of us show towards the community. Both he and I are modders, and I agree with him on that.

But we all know that won't happen, as some modders aren't really connected to the community at all, and are simply posting mods for others to enjoy - That is nice, and I understand that they won't care too much when they're not "part of" the community. And in those cases, it's up to the users to tag the files.

So, it goes both ways - users should also feel more responsibility to tag files when they download them. :)

Whenever I read anyone saying that "modders should..." do something, I always think "or else... what?"

In this case it seems to me that the "or else" is that they won't be able to post their mods here.

The more speed bumps placed by others between a modder and a player, the less likely the modder will bother.

Sure, SOME modders will take the time, but requiring ALL modders to do so? Simply for some added convenience for the player? I think that's a way to discourage contributions.

It's not the player we are talking about Thandal, it's a community, it's for the common good. It was just a suggestion, modders should do what ever they want. Trust me people want their files to be noticed, to get feedback becouse this way they will get bug reports, reviews and so on and by improving this type of search sistem, we'll help them to. I never considered that modders should do anything unless they want to.

Your response was rather negative(at least that's how I understood it), so I wanted to clear that out.

Cheers,

Pushkatu!

EDIT: Zaldiir understood what I meant to say, mayby he explained it better.

Edited by Pushkatu

@push I agree that it could of been explained better but when you are really trying to get someone to understand something you have to be blunt, especially because thandal didnt know if you are the type of person that retains and comprehends things easily.

I do agree that what the admin's and moderater's require from us the players is very minmal compared to the amount of work that the modders endure.

Having that said, Cheers!

Oh I'm sorry I assumed it was posted only on the new vegas nexus. But yeah New Vegas?

There is a category for buildings, so a tag should not be necessary.

Hey Push, (and Tactical);

Sorry if my reply was a bit curt. Time-limited when I posted it. But as I tried to indicate, it always raises a Caution Flag with me when I see a "modders should..." statement, unless the entire topic is about "what modders should/could/might do" in general.

I saw this thread as being more from the Players' perspective than the modders'. Most of the posts have expressed frustration in having to sort through lots of mods to "find one of the type I'm looking for". That's not the comment of a mod-maker! :laugh: