Game Debate: graphics vs. content vs. combat, etc...

SpellAndShield

I love beautiful graphics as much as anyone. Mind, if the scenery is gorgeous and the people look like freaks dressed in Goodwill rejects, I always havehttp://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=47&t=303493&qpid=3236279 issue with that. I hated the character models in Morrowind. Obblivion did it a bit better.

Having said that, I really dislike when the next game in a sequel trades in outstanding content and a great storyline for dumbed-downed pandering to the masses and 'ooh, shiny.' Why is it almost impossible to have both?

As an interesting observation, I noticed Morrowind has far more modded content with depth in the form of quests and NPC improvement etc. Not to say Oblivion doesn't have some good ones (Nehrim comes to mind, and a few others) but it tends to lend itself more to cutesy anime conversions, gainaxing boobs, and pretty shiny stuff in general.

Is this because of the improved graphics and modding engines, the content, or attracting a different audeince? I don't know, but really, why is it so hard to have an outstanding storyline AND an attractive game?

Oblivion had better graphics, sure, but, in my opinion, Morrowind was a MUCH better game.

I like Oblivions gameplay much better then Morrowind.

However, Morrowind has better guilds, better quests, better travel systems, better pretty much everything...

Morrowind would be so much better then Oblivion if it had the same gameplay as Oblivion IMO.

Todd Howard has suggested that Skyrim will be more like Morrowind so you may be in luck, that said he could be lying through his teeth again.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These games will still work with lower settings on a mid range system, why not use those settings and spend the hundreds saved on something else?

Something else.. what like a bicycle? I don't know, why not.

Anyway a mid range system will not even work at a playable fps level on low settings if you have a HD multi monitor set up for those games. Forget 3d man.

Even on my mid range X4 3.2 + 5830 you cannot run them. And like I said some engines will not work very well at mid setting, to the point of impacting the game beyond just being blury, go do some online competive gaming without draw distance set to max, you're just going to get blasted before the enemy/terrrain is properly drawn on screen, which is damn so frustrating. The terrain LOD is morphing about like mad, might as well forget those games and play offline, or other less demanding ones on max imo.

These games will still work with lower settings on a mid range system, why not use those settings and spend the hundreds saved on something else?

Something else.. what like a bicycle? I don't know, why not.

Anyway a mid range system will not even work at a playable fps level on low settings if you have a HD multi monitor set up for those games. Forget 3d man.

Even on my mid range X4 3.2 + 5830 you cannot run them. And like I said some engines will not work very well at mid setting, to the point of impacting the game beyond just being blury, go do some online competive gaming without draw distance set to max, you're just going to get blasted before the enemy/terrrain is properly drawn on screen, which is damn so frustrating. The terrain LOD is morphing about like mad, might as well forget those games and play offline, or other less demanding ones on max imo.

Of course they'll run them, surely you're not suggesting you "need" a top of the range gaming PC to play games?

Of course they'll run them, surely you're not suggesting you "need" a top of the range gaming PC to play games?

Load Crysis wars. DL MWLL. Have a system = to mine or less. Play on your multi monitor set up on low settings.

it will run... but about 10fps. with complete lock up under fire for several seconds resulting in your death. It's just not even playable.

Load Crysis wars. DL MWLL. Have a system = to mine or less. Play on your multi monitor set up on low settings.

it will run... but about 10fps. with complete lock up under fire for several seconds resulting in your death. It's just not even playable.

What do you need multiple monitors for? Anyway that game could be run in 2007, a 2007 GPU wouldn't be considered high end today. As I said you do not need a high end system to play games, you only need one if you want the eye candy. People keep going on about how graphics aren't important, if that were true developers would be able to cut their costs dramatically, they know the truth so they don't.

I love beautiful graphics as much as anyone. Mind, if the scenery is gorgeous and the people look like freaks dressed in Goodwill rejects, I always havehttp://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=47&t=303493&qpid=3236279 issue with that. I hated the character models in Morrowind. Obblivion did it a bit better.

Having said that, I really dislike when the next game in a sequel trades in outstanding content and a great storyline for dumbed-downed pandering to the masses and 'ooh, shiny.' Why is it almost impossible to have both?

As an interesting observation, I noticed Morrowind has far more modded content with depth in the form of quests and NPC improvement etc. Not to say Oblivion doesn't have some good ones (Nehrim comes to mind, and a few others) but it tends to lend itself more to cutesy anime conversions, gainaxing boobs, and pretty shiny stuff in general.

Is this because of the improved graphics and modding engines, the content, or attracting a different audeince? I don't know, but really, why is it so hard to have an outstanding storyline AND an attractive game?

Oblivion had better graphics, sure, but, in my opinion, Morrowind was a MUCH better game.

However, Morrowind has better guilds, better quests, better travel systems, better pretty much everything...

Morrowind would be so much better then Oblivion if it had the same gameplay as Oblivion IMO.

Just out of idle curiosity, which game did you play first?

What do you need multiple monitors for?

To play multi monitor gaming of course. Video games are eye candy.

You asked why people spend loads of money on high end systems and not just buy a mid range system, and that is why, for 3d and multi monitor gaming. Like you say and I know even on cheap mid range hardware you can play most games of this generation at 1080 max settings. excluding only a handful of games that cater to enthusiast markets. (baring multi monitor and 3d gaming)

Edited by Ghogiel

Played Oblivion first, decided to buy Morrowind afterwards since I heard good things about it as well.

Played Oblivion first, decided to buy Morrowind afterwards since I heard good things about it as well.

That's what I thought. :D

From the data I have gathered, the folks that played oblivion first, preferred the game mechanics of oblivion, those that play morrowind first, preferred those game mechanics. :D I played Morrowind first. I really didn't care for a fair few things in oblivion, level scaling being right at the top of the list. If it weren't for FCOM, I wouldn't bother with oblivion.

I don't think he means all of game play.. not in terms of leveling and level scaling... They basically ruin vanilla oblivion when everything is also god like, everything has 10mil HP and wears daedric armor. :unsure:

I think he means the animation engine and how spell failures and the combat system was much less.. um.. everything has more immediate substance in Ob.