Same Sex Education in Schools

Gamerbird

The problem with drawing any conclusion just on statistics is that people are free to interpret it however they wish. The same conclusions you are alluding to here are the same conclusions that people can make about men as a whole. Men statistically have much higher rates of suicide, much higher rates of alcoholism and drug abuse, much higher rates of being the cause of physical abuse compared to women. Based on these statistics and you're perspective on the matter, one can make the same conclusion that men as a whole should be blamed for the faults of the few. That men cause these problems themselves, that environment plays no role in the likelihood of these issues, and that they should strive to be more "normal".

Surely, rates of depression, alcoholism, sexual infidelity are things that are not unique to any singular group or affiliation. These are also issues that predate any of these organized groups which may have an agenda. The reality is that when a person, of any walk of life, is faced with the threat of death, disfigurement, or being excluded from your family just because they are different; they have to deal with that threat, stress, or void somehow. Because humans are frail, flawed, small minded things that will often reach for the first branch of hope offered to them and cling to it, be it a bottle, be it self-delusion, be it destructive thoughts, or just throwing themselves into sexual companionship with anyone who will accept them. Just because there are those who would seek to take advantage of this for their own political agenda does not mean that large portions of society are not to blame for creating this situation for others to take advantage of. To try and suggest otherwise indicates that you really have not seen or felt what real prejudice is or the lasting damage it can cause.

Wait, what? Are you trying to say it's societies fault that people do stupid stuff?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, what? Are you trying to say it's societies fault that people do stupid stuff?

Do you believe that societies have zero influence on individuals?

I think it's more the other way around. Individuals influence soceity. But yes, it goes both ways. Trying to place blame for idiotic actions of an individual on society as a whole though, is nothing less than a cop out. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Or did that go out of style with the "politically correct generation"?

But yes, it goes both ways.
This.

​This is a key. Interdependence. Personal responsibilities cannot be denied, collective pressure cannot be either (the norm).

Therefore, sex education or information shouldn't be left only to individuals nor to only schools.

And certainly not to lobby groups.

More sources of information means more choices. Making choice is taking responsibility.

If you want responsible people, give them choices...

But yes, it goes both ways.
This.

​This is a key. Interdependence. Personal responsibilities cannot be denied, collective pressure cannot be either (the norm).

Therefore, sex education or information shouldn't be left only to individuals nor to only schools.

And certainly not to lobby groups.

More sources of information means more choices. Making choice is taking responsibility.

If you want responsible people, give them choices...

...and educate them about the bad choices.

Lisn, that woman speaker was a real piece of work, I gotta say. I think I might have busted a gasket in finding out my child heard this woman speaking at a school function.

Back to the OP, what is different about teaching "Same Sex Education" than "Sex Ed"? In the late 80s, while attending school on an American military installation overseas, our Sex Ed included two videos describing changes during puberty and a week course in STDs. Almost as an addendum, they spoke of pregnancy and issues arising from early child-rearing. I have no idea what they teach in schools these days for "normal" "Sex Ed", but I doubt it includes identifying heterosexual orientation vs. homosexual orientation. And shouldn't. These orientations would be better taught in Social Studies...because study>social.

It is not the public who should identify a child's dysphoric tendencies, there are many reasons to become dissatisfied and depressed. And in no way should 15 year olds be able to make such decisions without consent from their parents regarding a Life Changing event such as gender reassignment.

BTW...operating the fryer at McDonalds can be quite a dangerous occupation! Just ask the guy that poured the hot grease into his rubber boot.

I personally think that schools should once again teach a year long "Home Economics" class but make it more like Home Ec and Family Education. Among the how to balance your budget, explaining taxes, credit-debit, loans, interest rates and the things you actually need for life (simple cooking, organization skills) do one of those "egg baby" type things too. (Re)Explain sexual reproduction, puberty (as they should do that to an extent before the high school level), let there be sex ed from license doctors and medical professionals, discuss abstinence (my Mother once said, you want to make sure not to get pregnant-put your birth control between your knees and don't drop it-heh), the issues facing young pregnancies, STDs and typical stuff like that. Let the kids ask anonymous questions of these professionals.

Discussing sexual preferences isn't the point of sexual education as the basic components of taking care of your sexual health are the same. Use protection, take birth control if necessary and have regular checkups with your physician. The school really should not be saying this or that is a better choice only that these are the medical facts and here are the choices to keep yourself safe. I understand the desire to teach more compassion and acceptance of different lifestyles but you can teach acceptance without that. Do you really want the school system to teach a morality. Heck its 2015 and we still have schools arguing about teaching things that have no scientific basis.

Do the egg baby thing with the class, and enough schools now have ipads that they can use those. Someone could make a great app for that (gosh if someone can code that stuff I have such ideas!) Or alternately there are all kinds of electronic things where you have to care, feed, etc something. This teaches them the difficulty of parenthood to a very small degree.

Having them combine this with budgeting, organization and the like gives them a much better life lesson and some much needed skills. My county wasted a entire year of class taking a "Test Prep" mandatory class which supposedly taught them how to take standardized test. Which if they taught the subjects well the first time really wouldn't be necessary.

To try and suggest otherwise indicates that you really have not seen or felt what real prejudice is or the lasting damage it can cause.

Although I stated I was through with this thread I cannot abide this statement. I am Sudanese Christian and ethnically Nubian Black African. I have very real memories of how I was treated by light skinned Arab Sunnis. Coming to America was blessing and gave my parents and I a lifestyle some people born here take for granted. That is not to say it hasn't been hard and I have faced discrimination from both Blacks and Whites.
The portion of your statement I quoted was a cheap shot meant to invalidate my opinion and to discredit me. You should be ashamed of yourself and it is unfortunate I have no recourse since you are a staff member. Even more unfortunate that you are a staff member and are allowed to conduct yourself in such a manner.
GOOD DAY, SIR.

To try and suggest otherwise indicates that you really have not seen or felt what real prejudice is or the lasting damage it can cause.

Although I stated I was through with this thread I cannot abide this statement. I am Sudanese Christian and ethnically Nubian Black African. I have very real memories of how I was treated by light skinned Arab Sunnis. Coming to America was blessing and gave my parents and I a lifestyle some people born here take for granted. That is not to say it hasn't been hard and I have faced discrimination from both Blacks and Whites.
The portion of your statement I quoted was a cheap shot meant to invalidate my opinion and to discredit me. You should be ashamed of yourself and it is unfortunate I have no recourse since you are a staff member. Even more unfortunate that you are a staff member and are allowed to conduct yourself in such a manner.
GOOD DAY, SIR.

And yet you say that discrimination does not affect the way in which people respond to the world around them. That it plays no part in their emotions, no part in their decisions, no part in how well they can function in a hostile environment. Or are we trying to say this sort of discrimination different since it is based on something like skin color.or religious beliefs instead of sexuality? Discrimination is discrimination, it doesn't matter what the reason is, even if those reasons are entirely made up, it is still damaging to those who are a target of it. It has been proven by means of multiple studies that prolonged abuse will lead to greater tendency towards dysfunction, regardless of how that person identifies.

I apologize for my low blow, but still stand by the statement.

In one instance you want to dismiss studies as being flawed, in another you use studies to validate your argument. That's annoying and I'm disinclined to take your views into consideration.

It is true I've faced adversity but those challenges do not define me as a person and I do not use them as an excuse not to be a productive and responsible American. I came to American when I was nine years old. I was a poor immigrant and I didn't speak or write English, and I have African heritage. According to some of the posts in this thread there was no reason for my father to work two jobs, for my mother to work as a hotel maid, or for me to better myself. By the socially loose standards of some here, I could have become a street thug and a drug addict and they would have been sympathetic to those choices because I faced social challenges. Poor, black and uneducated; I was held down by society at large, or I should have felt that way.

Little by little the true colors of a few here begin to show. People who face social challenges (either by choice or providence) do not need to take personal responsibility. Society must accept them and make allowances. The result is social justice apostate. Think the way we want you to think or you will be shunned and labeled a bigot or intolerant. The same bigotry and hypocrisy they hate is used to get what they want.

I am truly done discussing this or any topic with you at this point. You are inconsistent from post to post and it appears you simply have the desire to right, or you have difficulty focusing. Your apology was less than sincere and was more like another insult. So please proceed.

Edited for spelling:

Edited by WursWaldo

I think it would be really nice if folks would take responsibility for their actions. That's the way it used to be here, and was, for several hundred years. Of late... (basically, starting in about the 70's, I think) society became less and less inclined to hold people responsible. There was always some outside factor that 'made them do it', or some such nonsense. I think we can blame defense attorneys for that...... :D

Some communities here in the states USE that 'minority' status thing, to try and explain away why crime rates, out-of-wedlock births, single parent households, children from multiple fathers, etc, are so prevelant in their communities. Society DOES play a role there, yes indeed, but, it is not the sole contributing factor, nor do I believe it is the most prevelant one. It has become a mind-set. "This is the way things are, this is how they have always been, this is how they will always be, there is no changing it, so lets not even bother trying. Beside, we can blame it all on someone else, and escape the guilt for our own actions."

Trouble is, I don't see it changing any time soon, if ever.