Get rid of negative endorsements

ZuluFoxtrot

Actually, no, I'd report them for the TOS violations that the troll options in the negative endorsements are already allowing them to get away with.

1 little thumbs down really bugs you that much huh? What do you do when you walk down the street and someone gives you a dirty look?

Tackle them and repeatedly bludgeon them in the face with whatever object I happen to be holding.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, in an old discussion it was suggested that these negative endorsement categories could be converted to a bug reporting system. Each negative endorsement option except for the "I'm trolling - this mod did not fit in to my refined tastes, beliefs" could be presented as a bug category. The author would have a chance to tag them as "accepted", "not a bug", "resolved" and "closed" (and ofc the person who posted the bug report would be able to reopen it if, contrary to what the author said, the issue is still present. Also, others would be able to thumb-up the bug report indicating that they too have the issue (maybe even add their own comments). Any other posts should fall e.g. into the "feature request", "suggestion for improvement", "general comments" category. Other commenters would also be able to tag comments as "suggestion", "feature request", etc. for Action Points.

I realize that it is more complicated than a 1 to 10 rating system (with or without mandatory commenting) but it would actually turn those negative endorsements into something more positive. Endorsements could be kept (I don't think filing a bug report excludes the possibility of endorsing the mod e.g. for its outstanding concept).

Not sure if anyone mentioned this already... but we have data which can be used to decide what someone's opinion is worth:

Kudos, endorsements given and received, posts, files and images uploaded, all of which are in some way (I think) reflected in Activity Points. Why not use one or more of these things, I'm guessing AP rank or level would be easiest, to weight mod reviews. Make low level members count very little so that it takes hundreds or thousand of trolls to bring down a file rating, and not a whole lot of reviews from members who actually participate to bring a file rating up (and vice versa, of course).

Not sure if anyone mentioned this already... but we have data which can be used to decide what someone's opinion is worth:

Kudos, endorsements given and received, posts, files and images uploaded, all of which are in some way (I think) reflected in Activity Points. Why not use one or more of these things, I'm guessing AP rank or level would be easiest, to weight mod reviews. Make low level members count very little so that it takes hundreds or thousand of trolls to bring down a file rating, and not a whole lot of reviews from members who actually participate to bring a file rating up (and vice versa, of course).

You can't 'bring ratings down' Negative endorsements are not used at all. Not for anything. Even 10,000 negatives will not offset a single positive. :tongue:

I too support the call to remove negative endorsements. Someone just gave one of my mods a "thumbs-down" because it (I quote) "conflicted with his moral beliefs". I mean, seriously?

I was explicit in my description of the mod and if he didn't like what it did, why download and give it the negative endorsement at all? Some people go through too much trouble its almost petty.

As a mod user, the endorsements (positive or negative) have no meaning for me in determining if I would like to use a mod or not. The endorsement system doesn't identify a "good" mod, a "bad" mod or even a popular mod.

My experience is based on the 5 others who I regularly see and talk to and even share mods with. One of us may find a mod and be very excited about it because it runs well, is fun to play, has an interesting quest/story line, etc. The next person finds it crashes, causes texture/mesh problems, isn't particularly interesting or fun to play. What I'm trying to point out is that only one person determines if a mod is "good" or "bad" (by whatever measurement you choose) and thats the individual who is using it. Their reasoning for "good" or "bad" is based on an extremely wide range of variances that no modder will ever be able to address. For this reason alone the endorsement system is flawed and not a reliable indicator of anything.

What makes a mod worthwhile downloading can be found in 4 places. The description and the comments it has received are the first two indicators of a potentially worthwhile mod. Once downloaded, the readme is also a pretty good indicator of the mod as well. Lastly, playing the mod determines if its worthwhile. Its not perfect as a system, but its the only way to determine if the mod is for me or not. I consider that I purchased a game that is flawed and incomplete. I should complain about a free mod whose only price is the small amount of time I spent learning I don't want it?

If in my opinion the mod is "good", then there is a comment section and a pm system so I can thank the modder. Same if I have a question or feedback. If the mod doesn't work or isn't to my liking, again, a comment section and a pm system is there if I choose to use it. Comments and pm systems tell the modder a lot about the comments they receive and better still, they can be monitored for those who chose to be rude and foolish.

Only a good seller is to be called "good", no matter how many thumbs go up or down by means of whatever.

Do you believe in pro or con promo? I don't. What I need to know I find in the reports that deal with the product.

• 4 weeks later...

While the comment, "Does one little thumbs down really bother you that much?", seems rational on the surface it's not and I'll tell you why. Many folks here have probably spent a lot more time making mods and have vastly more experience and ability than me. But I'm pretty good at what I do and I'm meticulous and I never give less than my best. And so do all the rest of you. So, why do we publish at all? Why not keep it on our own machines for our own enjoyment? Because we learn to do more and get better at what we do by seeing what others are doing but, mostly, because we enjoy seeing others enjoy it too and, honestly, because we enjoy the affirmation. Spending countless hours preparing an initial release, making plans for updates and upgrades, evaluating good feedback from appreciative users and then enjoying the positive response and excitement of over 2,000 downloads and 40 thumbs up endorsements in the first 48 hours make modding a rewarding experience. So, yes, one little thumbs down for "The file did not fit in to the user's personal tastes or beliefs, etc" makes me think I probably have better things to do. I honestly don't have an opinion about how good or bad the rest of the rating system is or whether the 1 to 10 scale was better. But I am sure of this - "The file did not fit in to the user's personal tastes or beliefs, etc" has no beneficial function or purpose and is taken by me as a personal insult. About the only thing that could mitigate such a crasse, cowardly and crude comment would be if I am given the opportunity to reply, "**** your personal tastes and beliefs, etc."

motseer