Get rid of negative endorsements

ZuluFoxtrot

I got a negative endorsement on one of my mods and no comment why. So I sent a pm and an email to the guy asking him why he gave a negative endorsement and what I could do to improve the mod so that he would change his mind/be happy.

The poster had zero posts and obviously he never responded to either pm or email.

In other words there is nothing to stop every tom dick and harry with a chip on their shoulder coming in an giving a negative rating with no intention of even giving the modder the courtesy of telling them why. This needs to change. I'm not sure if it is possible to code in a feature that only allows people to negatively endorse a mod if they have a certain number of posts or what but I would be really happy if it could. At least that way you could hope for a better chance at getting a response why they gave you a negative endorsement.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found authors actually appreciate being told about problems as long as you inform them in a polite and helpful way. Negative votes are useless to both the author and potential downloaders, most of the time they're from people who didn't bother reading the read me, don't understand how to work with files and folders and fools who haven't done their archive invalidation. I converted some hairs for FO3 and had two people who couldn't get them to work and one moaning about missing files. Their inability to get them working is their problem, not mine and as there is no way of telling how knowledgeable they are those votes are useless to any potential downloaders, the vote complaining about missing files is incorrect, I'd have had plenty of comments telling me if that was the case, so again it is useless to everyone concerned.

The negative votes haven't stopped trolling, they've legitimised it.

Oh come off it, what is this - little league? Where even the worst player gets MVP just to be politically correct?

I don't understand why some modders are so sensitive. In 99% of cases, the thumbs up outnumber the thumbs down 10-1. I wish people would use logic, and see that if MOST people enjoy the mod (Which is always the case), then its likely a great mod overall. Everyone has different tastes, and you can't please everyone - fact of life.

And for the record, not every one who gives a mod a negative rating is a "troll". I've rated some of the most popular mods on the nexus negatively because I found them poorly done, buggy and/or downright tasteless. That is my prerogative. If a modder gets worked up because one or two people didn't like it out of hundreds or thousands who did, they are probably way too insecure to be hosting mods for the public

Edited by sontasejou

I think it should be mandatory that if you give a mod the thumbs down, you have to leave a comment saying why, or the thumbs down does not get added.

That way people can see if it's a valid reason or not. And if the reason is not valid ( ie they are just too lazy to read the readme ) then that comment and negative endosement can be removed by admin at the request of the author.

You misunderstand me. I meant that they had to support their POSITIVE rating. And we throw out all the ones that are blank, or just say, "Great mod!"

Plus, not only have I had someone give a "Thumbs-up", then trash the mod in the comments, they went on to DEMAND (yes, in all caps) specific changes to the mod by the author. :laugh: (Let's just say, Strikes were issued...)

Plus, not only have I had someone give a "Thumbs-up", then trash the mod in the comments, they went on to DEMAND (yes, in all caps) specific changes to the mod by the author.

What is this I don't even....

Hi!

I dont see any equivalence between positive and negative endorsements. They are apples and oranges just like if there was an option for negative kudos. I think it is obvious why we dont have negative kudos.

Hi!

I dont see any equivalence between positive and negative endorsements. They are apples and oranges just like if there was an option for negative kudos. I think it is obvious why we dont have negative kudos.

Well, we do have negative kudos, (sort of.) You can remove the one you've given someone.

And the "Report" button already functions as a pretty strong "negative indicator" channel! :thumbsup:

(And there are positive and negative "reputation" thumbs as well, besides the mod endorsements.)

Edited by Thandal
additional comment.